Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 71 total)
  • Irish Catholic Church
  • flippinheckler
    Free Member

Can you ever trust them ever again, just watching the Archbishop of Dublin on Sky spouting how sorry they are, effing tosspot. No matter how much he apologizes or genuine he sounds, they can never attone for the harm they have done, sod what damage its done to the church, its the victims that matter, not some mythical being called God.

montylikesbeer

Its what catholic's have known for a long long time.

I find it abhorrent what the church has done, some if it I have witnessed and experienced.

Its the reason why I will never have anything to do with the lot of them again, men of God, I think not.

GavinB

..wrong forum..

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    montylikesbeer

Holy chain ring your are right

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

one might wish they were only as venial as Father Ted 🙁

Junkyard
    Free Member

Trust an unmarried virgin who thinks another human[Pope] is infallible, communes with the dead via bread and wine whilst absolving you of your sins…why would you not trust that?

The cover up they did to protect the good name of the Church is truly horrific and unforgivable IMHO

grumm
    Free Member

According to their own admission, 1.5-5% of Catholic Priests are paedophiles. Draw your own conclusions about how high the real figures might be.

Edit: And the systematic cover-ups and failure to punish those responsible is an utter disgrace.

And these people are allowed to run schools, care homes, adoption centres etc 😕

AndyP
    Free Member

Can you ever trust them ever again
    could you ever trust them in the first place? A bunch of people who believe in fairy stories. Hmm…

geetee1972
    Free Member

{Let's keep the insults out of it – Mod}

GrahamS

****! Girls! Boys! Arse!

skidartist
    Free Member

155%
    !!!!!!!!

grumm
    Free Member

geetee – is that meant to be amusing? I'm not laughing.

teef
    Free Member

Don't just single out the Irish Catholic Church – I'm sure it's happening in every country in the world and all religions

Junkyard
    Free Member

spaceman …there is NO HUMOUR IN SEXUAL ABUSE …your comment prove that in a number of ways 🙄

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Don't just single out the Irish Catholic Church – I'm sure it's happening in every country in the world and all religions

Do you have any evidence of this? No? stop talking shite then, this lot are a disgrace. It doesn't matter what anyone else is doing, it doesn't absolve the CC.

mrmo
    Free Member

Do you have any evidence of this? No? stop talking shite then, this lot are a disgrace. It doesn't matter what anyone else is doing, it doesn't absolve the CC.

islam and the merging of tribal beliefs with religious ones in the middle east, the idea of women as property that is common to many cultures, polygamy in the mormon religion, child brides, gypsy betrothal practices, etc etc etc.

abuse in boarding schools

Even the school yard bully,

yes it is wrong but this is nothing to do with religion more to do with people in positions of power abusing them. and being in the position to cover up to protect their position.

tazzymtb

"yes it is wrong but this is nothing to do with religion more to do with people in positions of power abusing them. and being in the position to cover up to protect their position. "

It's everything to do with religion. If you are tought that any sexual contact is wrong in the eyes of your pretend god, then you go against your basic genetic drive to procreate. It's no wonder most god botherers are sexual deviants.

More importantly it's f**ked all my good priest/choir boy jokes as no matter what I come up with it won't be as funny as the shite the catholic church are spouting.

Spaceman
    Free Member

Junkyard, there's humour in everything, get over yourself.

Any way, who says I was joking? 🙂

I was seriously on course for the priesthood when I was younger, had a week long visit to a seminary at one point (I came from a fundamentalist catholic family, mother from Carfin, auntie a mother superior in a convent, cousin a priest etc) so I met a lot of priests and would be priests and never saw a hint of deviant sexual behaviour. Which is pretty much what my original post said, but USING HUMOUR WHICH IS ALWAYS ACCEPTABLE! They're not all pervs you know.

I'm now an athiest fundamentalist (if there is such a thing) and not a daft wee catholic laddie. Still support Celtic mind, and wouldn't set foot in Larkhall (see other thread!)

mrmo
    Free Member

It's everything to do with religion. If you are tought that any sexual contact is wrong in the eyes of your pretend god, then you go against your basic genetic drive to procreate. It's no wonder most god botherers are sexual deviants.

slightly sweeping generalisation there me thinks, most religious people are sexual deviants, please define deviant for a start. Could argue on the same grounds that most non religious people are paedophiles, the percentages probably aren' much different, just a matter of finding a place where you can use your position to further your ends.

I can never remember being told sex is against god's wishes? bit of a wierd way of spreading a religion if you ban the participants from partaking?

So who actually says the priesthood should be celebate? god or the church? look at most christian sects and celibacy is actually unusual. which means it is the church not god.

It isn't about religion, if you think it is i think you need to open your eyes. it is done by people using the catholic church as cover, others use the cover of schools, of scouts, pop stars, etc. If you want to do such things then you will do them.

Remember the old maxim anyone who wants power is the worst person to give it to.

And i can't believe i am saying anything in favour of the Catholic church after having this crap drummed into me during my schooling….

tazzymtb

dog collars, frocks, all the people in power are celibate, they worship a sadomasochistic immage of crucified man which can arouse feeling of intense sexual gratification in the form of raptue, the spanish inquisition (you can't torture someone unless you get form of gratification from it, otherwise why would you,) the need to confess sins to someone who is beating like a safari park chimp in the next cubicle

I rest my case M'lud

duntmatter
    Free Member

Jesus Christ! 🙄

IanMunro
    Free Member

So who actually says the priesthood should be celebate? god or the church? look at most christian sects and celibacy is actually unusual. which means it is the church not god.
    Until God decides to speak out about the matter, it means nothing of the sort, and is purely conjecture.

It isn't about religion, if you think it is i think you need to open your eyes. it is done by people using the catholic church as cover,

Nope, it is about religion. It wasn't just nasty people using the catholic church as cover, it was the church actively covering the actions of these people and not do anything to stop it (apart from taking out insurance policies). It shows that the religion has failed to show moral authority – this was systemic, not the actions of a rouge few non true believers. Religion (as opposed to faith) comes from the churches. The bible, belief systems, religious morality, didn't just pop out of a vacuum, they are moulded by the church and as such inseparable. To think otherwise seems a tad naive or disingenuous.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I saw a bit of this on TV last night. Shocking stuff.

Now, I'm not the most religious person in the world but whatever your stance on religion is, it has to be said that there are many, many people in the Christian church that do wonderful work in many different ways that tends to go unnoticed. The Vicar that married us earlier this year is a shining example. A wonderful man, married to his job. If there is a God, he's in people like him.
    And then you get stuff like what happened in Ireland and it messes and cheapens the whole thing. Ruins it in a way. All people see is the bad stuff and it's sad, very sad.

BermBandit
    Free Member

Read the God Delusion by Richard Dawkins.

Once you've done that and attempted to find a way round the logic that he applies to the delusion, you will find difficult to have anything other than complete contempt for the entire religious myth worldwide, never mind the Irish Catholics.

Its all a load of utter toss and the sooner we all wake up to that the better.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Its all a load of utter toss and the sooner we all wake up to that the better.

Quite possibly. But there are many, many people that believe and lots of good that comes out of it, so who are we to judge that?

lyons
    Free Member

Right, I wasnt sure whether to post this… I actually went to a roman catholic school, Im not religous at all though, we went thaere as it was nearer for my sister when she had a bad back.

Anyway, we had a Priest there, who was Irish, called Father Micheal. Two stereotypes… A year or so before i left, he was arrested for child abuse. We were never really told much, but i think most people were quite surprised as he seemed like a nice guy in every other way.

I dont really know what my point is though…

Dobbo

The Vicar that married us earlier this year is a shining example. A wonderful man, married to his job. If there is a God, he's in people like him.

I'm sure a lot of people that knew the priests that committed the offences in Ireland would have said the same about their priests, you never really know what may be going on behind the scenes, that's the whole thing about this case and how they got away with it for so long.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

and lots of good that comes out of it, so who are we to judge that?

I think you'd have a hard time establishing if there were any overall benefit aside all the problems caused by religion 🙁

BermBandit
    Free Member

so who are we to judge that?

The victims ?

crazy-legs

But there are many, many people that believe and lots of good that comes out of it, so who are we to judge that?

There are many many people who AREN'T religious who do good work. Religion does *not* give you morals or ethics nor does it affect your ability to "do good".

nimrod2410
    Free Member

This whole cover up is scandalous.
    We send our young kids to a Catholic school, not because of my religion but to get a level of moral learning and education. Thank god we were not sending them there 20 years ago.

I feel sickened with the knowledge the priests were carrying out there depraved acts, and even more so that it was known within the church and effectively buried. The individuals at the head of the church should be put before the courts to answer for their actions.

B@ST@RDS

geetee1972
    Free Member

Are the accusers always holy now? Were they born this morning as pure as God's fingers? I'll tell you what's walking Salem: vengeance! The little crazy children are jangling the keys of the kingdom and common vengeance writes the law!

grumm
    Free Member

We send our young kids to a Catholic school, not because of my religion but to get a level of moral learning and education.

So while being angry about the wide scale cover up of child abuse in the Catholic Church, you are sending your kids to a Catholic school in order for them to learn about morality. 😕

Religious people don't have a monopoly on morality you know.

geetee – wtf are you on about? You sound like a complete lunatic. I see you're not planning to apologise for your earlier comment – disgraceful.

surfer
    Free Member

Quite possibly. But there are many, many people that believe and lots of good that comes out of it, so who are we to judge that?

You could interprete that Religious people do good things for a deferred reward. Non religious people expect no reward for their good works.

Who is the most virtuous?

crikey
    Free Member

It'll carry on as long as people believe all that religion cobblers.

To send your kids into Catholic institutions of any kind would seem to be a tad risky these days…

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

"Are the accusers always holy now? Were they born this morning as pure as God's fingers? I'll tell you what's walking Salem: vengeance! The little crazy children are jangling the keys of the kingdom and common vengeance writes the law!"
    Is it just me?

clubber
    Free Member

This is quite a good example of my real problem with organised religion – it gives an excuse to do things that are clearly wrong and justify them in the name of a higher power that can absolve them of human responsibility.

To clarify, I'm sure that the majority of people complicit in this cover-up didn't believe that the abuse itself was acceptable or justifiable but they clearly did believe that they could justify covering it up (and thereby exposing more children to potential abuse) in the greater interests of the church since we all know that the Church is supposedly a power for good.

Fundamentally it's no different to Islamic terrorists justifying actions that are not acceptable to Muslim culture (murder, torture, etc) because they are in the overal interests of it.

Organised religion undoubtedly does do some good but that good would more likely than not still be done by the good people (which hopefully includes the like of PP's vicar) irrespective of doing it under the aegis of religion. Unfortunately the bad it does IMO massively outweighs this.

GrahamS

wtf are you on about? You sound like a complete lunatic.

It's from "The Crucible" innit?

Here you go:
    http://www.neh.gov/whoweare/miller/excerpts.html

grumm
    Free Member

Thought it sounded familiar, but still – what is the relevance exactly? That there is an unfair witchhunt going on against the Catholic Church?

nimrod2410
    Free Member

Grumm
    Obviously you have no knowledge of the school my kids attend. It has an excellent reputation and excellent ofsted report.
    The fact that it is Catholic was secondary to me, however they put religion on an equal plane to learning. Not being religious myself I find it quite enlightening when the kids come home and talk about the faith that is taught.

I know my kids are secure and safe or they would not be there. My point was I was shocked at how something as abhorrent as this could be covered up without recourse to those who chose to hide the abuse.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 71 total)

The topic ‘Irish Catholic Church’ is closed to new replies.