Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • ipods…. WTF do they need so much information about me?
  • alpin
    Free Member

been given a ipod shuffle as a going away pressie from my sister. wanted to put some music on it, but you need to download itunes. done that. now i have to register the ipod to itunes meaning i can only put music on it that i have on my computer. bit shit, but fair enough. but, i also have to register the thing in my name. they want my name, address, email and telephone number!

wtf are they doing with that information?

i’m now quite reluctant to register it.

the GF bought me a €5 SD card MP3 player. stick card into computer – or anyone else’s – and drop a load of music onto the card. job done. and you can have loads of different cards each with 2gb of music. and no registration process!

are apple like the nazis?

cp

hmmmmmm… didn’t enter any of that info when I set up mine. Can’t you just click cancel, or leave the fields blank then click ok…

or if that doesn’t work, just enter random information in those lines – which is what i do on web forms etc… when I’m asked to register.

avdave2

It is a pain but I found one last year while out riding over the downs and managed to get it back to it’s owner because it had so much info about him on it.

Jamie
    Free Member

If you plan on using the iStore it will need your info for billing/security reasons. The same if you bought something from Amazon. If you plan on never using iStore then just put in false info.

are apple like the nazis?

Are you an idiot?

McHamish
    Free Member

If you do decide to use it, and buy music off iTunes…all that personal information will be embedded in the music files.

In the small print it’s an offence to remove the information too, although if you by the iTunes propriety format and then convert it to MP3, it removes it for you.

MrSmith
    Free Member

has Steve Jobs invaded poland?

U31
    Free Member

Annexed, dear boy, annexed

schrickvr6
    Free Member

Steve Jobs now owns your soul

Oggles
    Free Member

I’m sure if you read the small print it will outline exactly how they use your data. Because that’s what the small print is for. You do read the small print right?

z1ppy

Man you invoked Godwins law in your OP, so you’ve killed you own thread before it started…

But yes, how can they assimilate you, unless they have the taster of your boooood…

Jamie
    Free Member

I’m sure if you read the small print it will outline exactly how they use your data. Because that’s what the small print is for. You do read the small print right?

No-one reads the small print.

Oggles
    Free Member

No-one reads the small print.

Exactly. but if people read it they wouldn’t have to say “WTF are they doing with it? The NAZIS!!” 🙂

D. PRIVACY POLICY

Your privacy is important to Apple. So we’ve developed a Privacy Policy that covers how we collect, use, disclose, transfer, and store your information. Please take a moment to familiarize yourself with our privacy practices and let us know if you have any questions.

Collection and Use of Personal Information

Personal information is data that can be used to uniquely identify or contact a single person.

You may be asked to provide your personal information anytime you are in contact with Apple or an Apple affiliated company. Apple and it’s affiliates may share this personal information with each other and use it consistent with this Privacy Policy. They may also combine it with other information to provide and improve our products, services, content, and advertising.

Here are some examples of the types of personal information Apple may collect and how we may use it.

What personal information we collect

? When you create an Apple ID, register your products, apply for commercial credit, purchase a product, download a software update, register for a class at an Apple Retail Store, or participate in an online survey, we may collect a variety of information, including your name, mailing address, phone number, email address, contact preferences, and credit card information.

? When you share your content with family and friends using Apple products, send gift certificates and products, or invite others to join you on Apple forums, Apple may collect the information you provide about those people such as name, mailing address, email address, and phone number.

? In the U.S., we may ask for your Social Security number (SSN) but only in limited circumstances such as when setting up a wireless account and activating your iPhone or when determining whether to extend commercial credit.

How we use your personal information

? The personal information we collect allows us to keep you posted on Apple’s latest product announcements, software updates, and upcoming events. It also helps us to improve our services, content, and advertising. If you don’t want to be on our mailing list, you can opt out anytime by updating your preferences.

? We also use personal information to help us develop, deliver, and improve our products, services, content, and advertising.

? From time to time, we may use your personal information to send important notices, such as communications about purchases and changes to our terms, conditions, and policies. Because this information is important to your interaction with Apple, you may not opt out of receiving these communications.

? We may also use personal information for internal purposes such as auditing, data analysis, and research to improve Apple’s products, services, and customer communications.

? If you enter into a sweepstake, contest, or similar promotion we may use the information you provide to administer those programs.

Collection and Use of Non-Personal Information

We also collect non-personal information ? data in a form that does not permit direct association with any specific individual. We may collect, use, transfer, and disclose non-personal information for any purpose. The following are some examples of non-personal information that we collect and how we may use it:

? We may collect information such as occupation, language, zip code, area code, unique device identifier, location, and the time zone where an Apple product is used so that we can better understand customer behavior and improve our products, services, and advertising.

? We also may collect information regarding customer activities on our website, MobileMe service, and iTunes Store and from our other products and services. This information is aggregated and used to help us provide more useful information to our customers and to understand which parts of our website, products, and services are of most interest. Aggregated data is considered non-personal information for the purposes of this Privacy Policy.

If we do combine non-personal information with personal information the combined information will be treated as personal information for as long as it remains combined

HTH

iain1775
    Free Member

just enter any old info
    I registered with the canadian itunes store to download Follow Me a few months ago
    Apparently I live at the Apple store in Toronto, and I have the same phone number to, how spooky!!

rOcKeTdOg

if you are brainless to fall for the apple hype i guess you’ll give them all the details they want

mp3 player with SD card, put what i flippin like on it owner here

scruff
    Free Member

I roll wid da Sony. Im not giving any money to Bono.

GrahamS

You create an Apple ID to enable you to buy stuff from the iTunes store and App Store.
    This requires a credit card and a billing address. Y’know like 99.99% of online stores do.

Not sure what the issue is or why you think it is a problem with Apple.

Solo
    Free Member

RocketDog.

Read the thread old boy. It was a gift from the OP’s sister.
    😉

I’m with you on that one.

😀

gonefishin
    Free Member

And that’s different to iPod how? You can import whatever you want into iTunes.

Jamie
    Free Member

rOcKeTdOg:
    if you are brainless to fall for the apple hype i guess you’ll give them all the details they want

Still makes me chuckle when people come out with this one. Obviously you didn’t even read the OP thread where he was given it by his sister, but let’s not have any facts get in the way.

Well whoop-de-***ing-doo.

rOcKeTdOg

Jamie you fanboi! 🙂 have you recoverd from the begging and fawning you did the other day when someone mentioned selling loads of iphones he had spare at work

GrahamS

How did those with an “mp3 player with SD card” actually buy any mp3s to put on it?

scaredypants

GrahamS – Member
    How did those with an “mp3 player with SD card” actually buy any mp3s to put on it?

Ah, err, well… (etc)

(I still like a nice CD to rip from)

Jamie
    Free Member

rOcKeTdOg – Member
    Jamie you fanboi! have you recoverd from the begging and fawning you did the other day when someone mentioned selling loads of iphones he had spare at work

Now this is the thing right here. I am not a fanboi. I am just a dude who likes a certain companies products as they work for me. If someone does not get on with them and decides to use one of Sandisk, Sony or whoevers products, then that is just fine. I also accept that Apple products go wrong, and have myself had to return and have stuff fixed. Same with any consumer product really.

What really hacks me off is the 1% of idiots at either of the spectrum, who not content with having an opinion in their pea like brains, then feel the need to shove their views down the throats of those 99% of users who are just happy using a product. I apply this to those who hate Apple and those who suck their pips and say they can do no wrong.

I get it, for whatever reason there is you don’t like Apple products, but to come out with all that ‘brainwashing’ nonsense just turns you into one of those 1% who just come off as dicks.

Buy the product you like. Let others do likewise. Don’t hate. Don’t be a dick.

Solo
    Free Member

And that’s different to iPod how? You can import whatever you want into iTunes.
    Once you have submitted a complete copy of your genetic profile, it would seem.

Ah, err, well… (etc)

(I still like a nice CD to rip from)
    Yep, that will do it. But do HMV request you give them your life story before they sell you a CD ?.
    🙂

It was a gift dude, would have been rude not to try and use it, no ?.
    😉

Jamie
    Free Member

It was a gift dude, would have been rude not to try and use it, no ?.

What has anything being a gift got to do with me ragging on RacketDog?

GrahamS

Yep, that will do it. But do HMV request you give them your life story before they sell you a CD ?.

I’m fairly sure that if you buy a CD online from HMV then you’d need to tell them your credit card number, address and probably email, no?

5lab

use winamp, with the ml_ipod plugin. Works beautifully, no need for itunes, no need to send your data in. Can also be used to pull non-DRM tunes from any ipod

GrahamS

5lab: you may still need iTunes for firmware updates and the like.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

a going away pressie from my sister

Your sister gives you a present to go away? 😯

Has anyone got the new Nano? I do like the look of that, and the fact that you can use it as a watch.

alpin
    Free Member

z1ppy – Member

Man you invoked Godwins law in your OP, so you’ve killed you own thread before it started…

🙂 i was aware of that.. wondered if anyone would pick up on it.

tried clicking “ignore” with regards to registering the ipod-thingy and my ipod disappeared from the list of things on the left hand side.

and does anyone bother to buy music online? if i hear something i like then i usually rip stuff from friend’s and family’s computer. to load a SD card up you simply drag and drop what you want onto it.

this:

does exactly the same job as this:

….at a fraction of the cost. it also takes simple AAA batteries (of which mine are rechargable) meaning that it won’t run out of battery life. and one battery last for ages. i can also take several SD cards with me meaning i’ve got more music.

it was a nice thought to buy me the ipod, but to be honest, i was a little disappointed that it was from apple. had a small sony mp3 before which was great (better sound quality, too), but it got a bit wet and died.

GrahamS

does anyone bother to buy music online? if i hear something i like then i usually rip stuff from friend’s and family’s computer. to load a SD card up you simply drag and drop what you want onto it.

Home taping is killing music, man.

nickc

I happily buy from Apple, in the same way that I have a Sony telly and a Ford car, and a Dell PC, and some Ikea stuff, and Levis, and heaven forfend, Calvin Klein…Shit, I even have Nike trainers.

I’m such a corporate whore I’m in a permanent state of anxiety about it all…. 🙄

enfht
    Free Member

bit shit, but fair enough

You mean, shit

GrahamS

I have a Sony telly and a Ford car, and a Dell PC, and some Ikea stuff, and Levis, and heaven forfend, Calvin Klein…Shit,

Calvin Klein Shit?

Is that their new fragrance for men?
    Sounds very similar to their existing range 🙂

nickc

😆 very good…

bows towards GrahamS

rs
    Free Member

and does anyone bother to buy music online? if i hear something i like then i usually rip stuff from friend’s and family’s computer. to load a SD card up you simply drag and drop what you want onto it.

you are aware you can still do this, drag music into itunes, tell it that you want it on the ipod, its not really any different. do the earphones sound better underneath that tinfoil hat?

CountZero

I occasionally buy stuff online, it’s that instant gratification thing. As for getting stuff from a family or friends computer, Christ, you either have very narrow taste in music, or friends with extraordinarily wide tastes. There is only one person I know I can regularly get music from that I don’t already have, and I borrow and rip his cd’s, as he does mine. And I only see him once or twice a week for a pint. The other evening I was reading The Word, and Elvis Costello was enthusing about a track by someone called Mildred, so I checked iTunes on my phone, found it and bought it, then read something about Warren Zevon, realised I had no digital copy of Werewolves Of London, found it on iTunes and bought it straight away. I know of no-one with those songs, and very few of my friends and none of my family have the range of music I do. Those will backup onto my computer then I can put them onto my old 80Gb iPod. I’ve never done anything other than drag tracks onto my phone and Nano, and I’ve bought music from emusic and Amazon from time to time as well as Wiretap tracks from streaming audio which go into iTunes. I’m assuming the OP has never, ever bought anything online, otherwise he wouldn’t think twice about it. As for sticking music onto separate SD cards and carrying them around, jeeze, what a phaff! It’s enough to make sure I don’t lose my phone or pod, sticking stupid little cards in my pockets it a recipe for losing the whole damned lot. Too much of a pain in the ass, as is carrying a bunch of rechargeable. I have to do that with my PocketDAB, and it’s a bloody nuisance.

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘ipods…. WTF do they need so much information about me?’ is closed to new replies.