• This topic has 34 replies, 25 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by fbk.
Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • ipod thro the washer –
  • twosheds
    Free Member

My sons ipod touch has just had a full non white washing cycle. 1000spin and rinse!

Whats the chances it will dry out and work again?

Cheers……..

Jamie
    Free Member

Put it in a bowl of rice and stick it in the airing cupboard for 24hrs. Do not attempt to use it.

Then I give it 65%.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Bet it’s come up a treat.

speaker2animals

Or buy some silica gel and put the Touch in a sealable plastic bag with the gel for 24/48hrs. It saved a digital camera of mine.

twosheds
    Free Member

will do it now. thanks

rhid

I have washed my i-pod shuffle several times. I think the thing to do is not to turn it on or anything until you have left if for a while to dry out. I use the silcia gel in a tuppaware box method. The ipod still works perfectly. Not sure how a bigger one will fair though due to more moving parts! Good luck.

fbk
    Free Member

I dropped my Touch in the bath for about 2 seconds and it never really recovered. Sorry 🙁

andrewh
    Free Member

Don’t try to turn it on.
    Remove batteries.
    2-3 days in a greenhouse
    (not tried on i-pods but works well for portable telephones)

Slight digression, why are they often called mobile telephones? Mobile implies self-propelled whereas one has to carry them, hence portable surely?

rondo101
    Free Member

the bowl of rice trick worked for a phone of mine that fell in the loo, but not one that went through the wash (it was on whilst in the wash, which was probably what killed it). Removing the battery is key, and I think that’s pretty difficult with ipods, isn’t it?

twosheds
    Free Member

Oh no! its not looking too promising. Its now in a bowl of rice on top of the central heating boiler. fingers are well and truly x’d

IanMunro
    Free Member

I though I’d lost my ipod classic then finally found it about a year later in a pair of trousers that had been through the washing machine and tumble drier before being dumped in the bottom of a drawer. The plastic on the dial was a bit wrinkled, and I had to cut away a bit of melted plastic from around the docking connector, but it worked fine on plugging in.
    Battery life isn’t so great now though.

CountZero

Ian, RapidRepair do replacement cases and batteries for Classics, including clear ones, like this:
    http://www.rapidrepair.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=NBSEOLINK&thecode=ivue-ipod-crystal-case

avdave2

I have washed my i-pod shuffle several times

To wash ones i-pod once, Mr Rhid may be regarded as a misfortune to do it again looks like carelessnes.

beamers

The Gadget show covered this issue some time ago. One of the presenters (sadly not the fine Suzi clad in a bikini – not enough pockets) leapt into a swimming pool with a number of electronic gadgets in his pocket.

They then set about drying them out by dismantling them as far as they could and exposing them to an indirect heat for a longish period of time.

Things like the phone, camera etc came back to life as they could be dismantled. The Shuffle remained dead as they couldn’t get it open to allow the moisture out.

Good luck though. Let us know how you get on.

twosheds
    Free Member

I hope I’m using the right sort of rice, its in a bowl of basmati.

18bikes

funnily enough, the only ipod I’ve ever washed has been a shuffle, twice. once failed, then washed the replacement – which I managed to dry out after stripping to bits.

ifixit has some guides for taking them apart, worth a look for the touch too?

turboferret

To wash ones i-pod once, Mr Rhid may be regarded as a misfortune to do it again looks like carelessnes.

Nice variation on a Lady Bracknell line 😀

Cheers, Rich

coffeeking
    Free Member

Don’t try to turn it on.
    Remove batteries.
    2-3 days in a greenhouse

‘cept the ipods battery is permanently attached and all the power control circuitry is always powered on 🙁

Worth a try with the drying, personally I’d have stripped it pretty quickly by any means I could find.

brassneck

Washed my shuffle and it too survived after a week in the airing cupboard. Seemed dead at first, left it in there, forgot about it, found it again and charged it and it worked. Behaves a bit oddly on sync sometimes, I think some of the contacts got washed out a bit.

richmtb

My Ipod Nano survided a swim in a pool while on holiday, dried out in about two days. Was amazed as when I took it out of the pool you could actually see the water behind the screen.

Greek sunshine might have been what saved it!

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

I washed my ipod nano a couple of years ago. I thought it was shot and it sat in the “man draw” for the best part of three months. Out of boredom and curiosity I plugged it into the pc and after a couple of minutes itunes fired up and the thing started to charge.! I got another years use out of the it before I cooked it one day working on a catering van. It was in my pocket and it spent way too long next to a hot plate.

They don’t like heat. 🙁

organic355
    Free Member

I hope I’m using the right sort of rice, its in a bowl of basmati.

Surely this would be better?

stumpy01

I’d leave it more than 24hrs.

A mate of mine dunked his iPhone and I think it took 3 weeks before it started working again.
    It did start though and he’s still using it about 12 months later….

I’d give it at least a week before trying it.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

I’ve found the Apple shops to operate a similar approach to Hope.
    i.e. Very good at replacing things that aren’t working.

My lad’s touch has turned itself into a brick on four occassions now. Each time it was replaced with no more than a cursory look and press of the buttons (no response).

I’d suggest drying out in rice etc and then returning to shop if that doesn’t work.

coffeeking
    Free Member

I’d suggest drying out in rice etc and then returning to shop if that doesn’t work.

Fairly sure that, like the iphone, they’ll have water contact sensors that change colour when you dunk it, rendering it void and useless.

twosheds
    Free Member

GOOD NEWS!!!!! The ipod works, how about that. It went through the complete non-fast cycle, rinse, spin (1400rpm, etc.

I’ll put the basmati back in the tin…….

Jamie
    Free Member

Invoice is in the post 😉

twosheds
    Free Member

yeh, thanks for the advice. One happy 14yr old..

Jamie
    Free Member

I’ll put the basmati back in the tin…….

It really is the gift that keeps on giving 8)

Zedsdead
    Free Member

I was going to say post it to me here in India. Every time I step out of the shower I seem to be instantly dry! Weird!

Xylene
    Free Member

Epsom salts are more effective than rice

Heat in microwave, on a hot skillet or dry in the oven.

cool and place phone in container with salts probably best to have phone lying on something rather than in direct contact

CountZero

Just remember to always check every pocket in future. 🙂
    I can imagine how happy the lad is that his ‘pod’s working ok.
    I managed to trash an iPod Video shortly after buying it when I dropped it on a hard floor. No visible damage as it was in a Belkin case, but Currys just gave me an addressed box to send it off in and I got a brand new one a little while later. Phew!

Ambrose

Torrential rain in the Beacons last night. Checking my SE W995 in the pub I had to pour about a spoonfull of water from it. What do you think the chances are. I stripped the battery and SIM out asap. Ooops 🙁

Admiralable
    Free Member

Torrential rain in the Beacons last night. Checking my SE W995 in the pub I had to pour about a spoonfull of water from it. What do you think the chances are. I stripped the battery and SIM out asap. Ooops

If you need a new one. My partner is selling hers 😉

fbk
    Free Member

To the OP – you lucky, lucky…..man 😉

Glad to hear it ended well

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘ipod thro the washer –’ is closed to new replies.