Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Ipod FM tuners?
  • solamanda
    Free Member

I’m using a cheapo ebay generic FM tuner to use in my car that runs off a standard 3.5mm lead. Trouble is it often chops out and the sound quality isn’t great. I’d like to get something like the this but it doesn’t seem compatable with a classic 120gb. Any other ideas?

Cheers

beanum

Do you have a CD changer? I installed one of these in my Golf Mk IV and it works great, and I can still use the CD Changer as well….
    XCarLink

mudpup
    Free Member

I have a Griffin I Trip sitting in the glovebox that i don’t use anymore – used to use it with a 2nd gen Nano. Just plug it in the bottom and tune the radio in. It was one of the best rated ones 18months ago.
    Let me know if you are interested in it.

atlaz
    Free Member

I might actually have a Belkin tunecast 2 going spare. Bought one for a trip, forgot it, bought another one at the airport so it’s pretty much boxed and unused. Which ever you get, you’ll still suffer from the radio signal cutting out a bit, particularly if you live in the SE.

CountZero

I had an iTrip which was ok, but here in North Wilts it was incredibly difficult finding a frequency that didn’t get swamped by some local radio station or other. I found one that allowed usage pretty much all the way from Bristol to London, but Bath was a no-no, and needed a different setting, and then the BBC set up a new station in Wales that totally drowned the Bristol setting I’d used. I gave up and bought a new head-unit I could plug the iPod directly into. I just don’t need the distraction when driving of trying to fiddle with some crap device.

deft
    Free Member

I use an iTrip and it’s fine, works best if I sit it on my dashboard. Finding a clear frequency can be difficult but I’ve found it doesn’t make too much difference if it’s not 100% clear

solamanda
    Free Member

Seeing as it sounds the other solutions still have the same basic problem I’m going to try a ghetto solution. Fit a second mini FM antenna for the radio near the Ipod and a switch box. If I build it all into one unit it should work a treat and be fast to make.

Don’t fancy opening up the built in OEM radio to wire in a 3.5mm jack.

RooleyMoor
    Free Member

A good solution if you don’t have an aux input on your stereo

This way you’re not having as many issues with interference.

RooleyMoor
    Free Member

i’m wondering if you can use the ISO SOT connections that are used for phone kits?

solamanda
    Free Member

Just thought I’d post that my solution of switching off the car fm antenna is flawless! Might be of use…

footflaps

In the end I just bought a Tape converter – quality is excellent and no tuning issues. Driving up and down the UK with an FM transmitter was a pain as it always needed retuning half way up the M6 / A1.

IHN

footflaps – what did you buy?

grazzer1
    Free Member

I’ve just been using an itrip griffin/120gb classic on a recent roadtrip. Tuned it to 80.30 and drove from Glasgow-Oban-Skye-Inverness. No problems. Worth a punt at 15 squids (amazon).

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Ipod FM tuners?’ is closed to new replies.