Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • iPlayer download speeds
  • aracer
    Free Member

I’m consistently getting <10KB/s on what’s normally at least a 4Gb/s connection. Am I being throttled or is that normal with the latest distributed system?

woodey
    Free Member

“4Gb/s”, holy cr*p! (I think you mean 4Mbps)

4Mps is probably your synch speed, this in only the speed between your router and the local exchange.

for more detail on the actual performance of your connection use http://www.isposure.com

andym
    Free Member

The speed is going to be dependent on the rest of the ‘swarm’. 10 kb/s is pretty slow but if the torrent is old then it may not be a sign that you are being throttled. I think there’s some advice on the BBC website that might be worth checking out.

aracer
    Free Member

I did of course mean 4Mb/s, but that’s a realistic conservative speed for the link (I’ve averaged >500kB/s for 1GB+ file downloads).

This is for very new downloads, though I never seem to get much over 30kB/s.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

I’ve been monitoring iPlayer throughput speed, for the streaming player.

Normally, my BB connection is between 1 and 4Mbps. Fluctuates a lot within that range.

I’ve just had a look at something on iPlayer; 15/16KBps(60-72Kbps) max, really. Plays for a few seconds, stops for a few seconds, resumes, repeat. I think iPlayer needs about 50KBps (400Kbps) minimum, to play propply.

Some ISPs, like Virgin, who I’m with, deliberately throttle iPlayer stuff, and often P2P services. They won’t of course tell you this, though…

I’m trying to find a loophole, to get out of my Virgin contract. Got to try and prove Virgin are limiting my access to the internets, so I can claim they are failing to provide a service as advertised.

They are chunts, basically. Trying to squeeze as much money as they can, out of people.

They will try to tell you that it’s due to ‘high traffic’. I’m not having any of that…

*The Virgin/iPlayer issue could have something to do with Virgin wanting their customers to sign up to their TV package. And that requires a TV licence…

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

i don’t download iplayer stuff, just stream.
    i tried once, but it took 4 hours, and then failed.

scaredypants
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘iPlayer download speeds’ is closed to new replies.