Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • iPhone users – case advice please
  • ask1974
    Free Member

Moving from Blackberry to iPhone and need advice on the best way to protect it. Already ordered screen protector so just case required now. Used to the Blackberry ‘pocket’ and I do like this as a solution but my blackberry’s have all taken a tumble from time to time during removal / insertion so not entirely without fault. Considering a folio type style but would like opinions. Mainly concerned about ease of use once installed in the case.

Not into a big ‘tough’ protector, something with a bit of style is desirable. Leather ideally. Seen some nice Belkin options and already impressed by my Belkin iPad case.

Cheers.

MrNutt
    Free Member

just put it in an old sock

greggparker9
    Free Member

What’s the problem with Au naturale?

sputnik
    Free Member

Otterbox or Griffin for proper protection.

nealglover
    Free Member

I’ve never had a case on any of mine since the 1st Gen iPhone.

It goes in my left hand trouser pocket all day every day (no coins in there) in Manual jobs ranging from Bathroom fitting to crawling under floors installing insulation.

I’ve yet to damage one yet.

(If you are dropping your phone getting it out of its case, I really wouldn’t bother with one !)

Kato

I’ve had loads of different cases and found that acutally the Apple bumper has been the best

sputnik
    Free Member

Loads ( 20 pages) to choose from here
    Amazon

bencooper
    Free Member

I’ve had Otterbox (tough, but big and the rubber stretches over time) and Grove:

Grove Case by Ben Cooper, on Flickr

Though now don’t bother with anything.

the-muffin-man

None – I used one when I first got a iPhone 4 years ago but found that the dust and muck caught under the case caused more scratches than without one.

Trouser pocket for me, but never in with keys or coins.

ironbrucove

Lifeproof case. Survived a good six month of careless abuse

coogan
    Free Member

Screen protectors seem a complete waste of money to me. Look crap on and not sure what they protect. My last phone was an iPhone 4 and I dropped it face down so many times and never a mark.

MrNutt
    Free Member

i keyed the face of an iphone the day I bought it, that wasn’t a good look!

ask1974
    Free Member

Thanks for the input. Useful.

burnsybhoy
    Free Member

Naked for a year and still rolling this way!

Kryton57

Can’t beat this for 3 quid….

Recieved today (Satin translucent white on white I5 as you see in the main pic), very pleased.

v8ninety

I use a tan leather slip case, no screen protector. (the glass is tougher and more scratch resistant than the plastic protector) looks nice, ages well and provides an element of drop and pocket abrasion protection, although admittedly not when I’m actually using the phone.

mikertroid
    Free Member

Lifeproof case. Not cheap but does what it says on the tin

ask1974
    Free Member

V8, couldn’t see that slip case on their website. Have you got a link?

Militant_biker

I went for a butt ugly Trident Cyclops II case. Phone sits in a silicone skin, held inside a hard outer case. Silicone also covers the port and headphone socket for completeness. £27 on Amazon. Would recommend despite the chunky appearance.

First case I got was a beautifully minimal bamboo sleeve. Was so slick I kept dropping the phone – and it broke quickly. Erm…

v8ninety
    jambalaya
    Free Member

None, prefer the thinner feel of the phone without a case.

The phone is reasonably robust dropped mine many times over the years. That being said we have had two screen breakages in the family but both of those phones had the “back only” covers

CountZero

I’ve used clear screen protectors on all my iPhones, and they do a damned good job, providing you apply them carefully, with no bubbles or fluff. Only the edges are noticeable on mine, there’s no evidence of anything on the phone at all, plus I have a clear case like the one Kryton has, cost about $4, and it’s already saved my phone after I pulled it out of my pocket with the power cord while charging with a back-up battery, and the cable pulled out! It cartwheeled several times down a steep Tarmac road, and only showed a tiny mark on the polished front beveled edge, so very well worth having.
    I do have a totally enclosed case coming, which will seal the phone in, making it waterproof and shockproof. It’s a Kickstarter project from TacTic, who made the first alloy watch straps for the last Nano. Not cheap, but comes with Gorilla Glass screen protection. There’s a good Otterbox available, too.
    Overkill, perhaps, but I spend time near the coast, and salt water doesn’t enhance the performance of an iPhone 5 particularly well.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Some cases interfere with the proximity sensor which causes issues when you make calls and the phone doesn’t realise its close your head and doesn’t disable the keypad. My cheap tesco leather case does that but the phone itself is shaped such that I always feel like I’m going to drop it. The case makes it easier to hold.

ericemel
    Free Member

Lifeproof vote

wwaswas

lifeproof.

chuck it in a camelback, sling it in a jeans pocket. Doesn’t matter if it rains or I drop it.

can leave it on all the time which some of the bigger waterproof options make very unattractive due to their bulk.

I know of one person who put their iPhone through the wash in a lifeproof case with no harm done.

happyrider
    Free Member

Seen these on a few people’s iPhones all with very positive comments. http://www.m-techdesigns.com

BadlyWiredDog

Lifeproof – waterproof, close fitting, decent shock resistance, phone stays totally functional, only rubbish bit is the headphone jacket arrangement. Expensive, but as above, you can drop your phone in the bath without worrying about it.

Free Member

I have one of these:

http://www.designboom.com/weblog/cat/16/view/21964/taktik-iphone-case-by-minimal.html

Superb levels of protection without looking like a badly designed fridge.

MountainMutant
    Free Member

^^LOL not even a fridge could look that bad!

v8ninety

lifeproof

lifeproof

OP reading fail.

Not into a big ‘tough’ protector, something with a bit of style is desirable. Leather ideally. Seen some nice Belkin options and already impressed by my Belkin iPad case.

mikertroid
    Free Member

Sorry, did I forget to mention lifeproof??!

LapSteel
    Free Member
    McHamish
    Free Member

Eventually it’ll get scratched and you’ll stop caring and put it in your pocket with your keys without a case.

I haven’t got a case, or protective screen (these always look shit IMO) for my new phone.

CountZero

Eventually it’ll get scratched and you’ll stop caring and put it in your pocket with your keys without a case.

I haven’t got a case, or protective screen (these always look shit IMO) for my new phone.
    Not if you’ve protected it, then you can realise maximum second-hand value because the phone’s pristine. In any case
    (:wink:), as I said above, it’s almost impossible to see the screen protector film on my phone, unless you look for the edges, because its a clear one, not one of those shonky ‘non-reflective’ things, which really are crap!
    That case that 1978 linked to is what I’m getting for my iP5, and I actually like the look of it, I really couldn’t give a toss what others think. As I spend time outdoors, especially near the coast, around water and such, using the phone for guidance brings extra risk of dropping it or getting it wet, and I don’t want to have trust insurance to replace a £650 phone that’s been dropped or to wet.

CountZero

Just taken some pics of my phone with the cheap case and screen protector, and the damage to the case where it bounced down the road from waist height:

You can just see a little mark just above the right-hand speaker grill, the only damage to the phone itself. The case took quite an impact, and definitely saved the phone itself from a lot of damage, so that was $3 very well spent, and the three screen protectors were $1.99.
    Wouldn’t save it if dropped into a rock pool, mind… 😀

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘iPhone users – case advice please’ is closed to new replies.