Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • iPhone & Strava
  • j5kol
    Free Member

I use Strava on my iphone 6 to record my rides and on the last two occasions my phone battery has given up half way round. Each time there has been plenty of battery life in the phone and it doesn’t happen any other time. Has anyone else encountered the same problem ? It is really annoying when you get home to upload your route to find that Strava hasn’t recorded the full ride. I am considering buying a gps watch as a back up.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

So has the phone switched itself off? Not pressing power buttons by mistake?
    In general I prefer to have my phone good for calls so been using a proper GPS for years

j5kol
    Free Member

Yeah phone switches off but when put on charge switches back on with plenty of life in it, for example 32% charge last time.

legend
    Free Member

Your battery’s starting to die, mine used to do it when out on rides, especially when it’s a bit colder.

hooli

My iphone 5 used to do that, normally when using the camera. It would be on about 50% battery and then turn off due to a flat battery, wouldn’t turn back on. When I put it on charge it went straight back to 50 odd percent.

It was fixed with one of the IOS updates.

sprocker
    Free Member

Mine does it to especially in the cold, like above its as the phone has got older.

mechanicaldope

Android FTW!

(sorry – I will go now…)

xyeti
    Free Member

Mines just started doing this when I go to use the Camera, did it last night, 42% battery took 1 picture and it piled in, spinning cog then black screen.
    I did an update last week so I’m guessing there’s soon to be another to fix the fault?

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

It may be that the battery “meter” has got confused. Try running it flat and charging fully a few t.imes in succession.

Probably won’t help but that’s the Apple Store recommendation. New battery is next.

Keva
    Free Member

Once in a while my iPhone does this, for no apparent reason it decides to suck all the life out of the battery. If it happens on a regular basis I guess you could plug it into a pocket charger in your camelback. I find Strava doesn’t always record the routes correctly as well. The other day I had apparently burrowed underground and run in a perfectly straight line underneath buildings for about 1/2 a mile 😯

j5kol
    Free Member

Thinking of purchasing a smart watch which links to Strava as backup, something like a Fitbit Surge etc. that way I can benefit from the other features it has too unlike a standard cycling gps

tillydog
    Free Member

The phone battery is probably dying. My Iphone5 used to do the same.

You might get it done for free at the apple shop. (The one full of geeks, not the fruit counter.)

philstone

iPhone 6 – definitely battery on its way – mine used to die whilst out on rides, stop to take a photo and bang power off.. Next time it happens try leaving it for 10-15 minutes and switching it on – mine used to come on, without being charged..

Replaced the battery myself and its been fine ever since. Not that hard to do, get a genuine battery from amazon – around £13 – and follow this guide – https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/iPhone+6+Battery+Replacement/29363

Not that hard at all, and quite satisfying as well!

stuarthatfield
    Free Member

I have a iPhone 5 and used it regularly for strava never gone flat ,do you switch off wifi and Bluetooth ?

beano68
    Free Member

Never had battery issues when using my 5S even when paired with my Garmin and running strava.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Surprised this is happening to a 6 as its quite new, used to happen with my 4 but only when it was 3+ years old. As above imho its battery and was worse when it was cold weather.

Top tip is to turn Strava offline (you can do this in Endomondo so I assume strava too). This means it records the ride with gps but is not communicating with the server hence using tons of battery. You still probably need a new battery, take it Apple for a test. If you want to upgrade/sell the phone let me know as I’m a buyer 😉

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘iPhone & Strava’ is closed to new replies.