Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • iPhone on Internet via laptop? – Possible?
  • Alphabet

My laptop is on broadband via a wired connection to it's LAN socket.

Can I connect my iPhone to the laptop (either via cable, wireless or bluetooth) so that the iPhone uses the laptop's broadband connection rather than it's own slower GPRS/3G connection?

Ta

Drac

Not even sure why you want to do that surely if you next to your laptop you use that. Wifi routers are cheap as chips.

Alphabet

This is when I'm at work. No wifi access and no 3g. Only slow GPRS.

Drac

Ah I see.

Would work allow such a connection and again still puzzled as to why?

tragically1969
    Free Member

Try this:

http://cnettv.cnet.com/?type=externalVideoId&value=6754630

Thats if your work policies allow you to mess with your laptops internet\network settings.

Alphabet

We're developing iPhone and Win Mobile apps for use by our salesforce and it's slow testing them. Not a problem as I can get a wireless router but was wondering if it was possible to do it via my laptop.

Drac

Ah right ok.

I'd ask work to move into the times and get wireless, it'll be more realistic testing anyway surely?

IanMmmm
    Free Member

Like tragically1969 says – if your computer has a wireless card and you have admin rights on it, you can set it up as an ad-hoc wireless access point and then connect your phone to it with WiFi.

Alphabet

Drac: I agree but the MD is paranoid about security and hasn't allowed wireless connections in the past.

Also I have the same problem at home as my laptop picks up my wireless router (just – old stone house, phone line at one end, my home office at the other) but my iPhone doesn't

Drac

Is this your boss?

tragically1969
    Free Member

If he is that paranoid you can bet your bottom dollar that the group policies are that tight on your domain you wont be able to do anything with your laptop anyway….and if they are not locked down then he is an idiot who does not understand IT.

clubber
    Free Member

Not to mention that you wouldn't want your iPhone on the network since they're about as secure as a prison with an
    open gate.

Jamie
    Free Member

Drac:
    Is this your boss?

*has flashbacks of childhood*

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘iPhone on Internet via laptop? – Possible?’ is closed to new replies.