Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • iPhone mapping – ViewRanger versus MemoryMap (versus …..?)
  • xcentric
    Free Member

was looking ot buy an Edge 800 but decided that, at the moment, they are too expensive for the amount of use it’d get, so looking at using my iPhone. Heard all the arguments about batteries and needing a mobile, but have an old insurance replacement that I’ll use.

So, which app do people find best? ViewRanger gets good reviews, and works well with the OpenCycleMap data – and can load in OS maps. Many people seem to mention MemoryMap, but not sure if that’s because it’s been around longer – also recent reviews suggest the latest version has a few bugs that need ironing out…. Does this use OpenCycleMap as well?

Which is cheapest/free? which is cheapest for OS mapping?

which works best, if people have compared them?

Requirements: use offline maps stored on the phone (or download them once on mobile signal and then cache them properly). Ideally, be cheap/free to start with and so use free mapping. Cheapest OS coverage good.

Would like to import routes and get waypoint (optional cross track error), plus direction to go at next junction/waypoint.

And for those that have tried, is the Garmin that much better, excepting battery life?

grum
    Free Member

I use an app called Memory Map free and I bought some data for about £15 IIRC. Works great for me, I downloaded the Lakes, Yorkshre Dales etc.

theroadwarrior
    Free Member

I use motion-x gps. Works great and has free os-style maps. Great for recording distance/routes covered and those where the **** am I moments. 🙂

P20

Motion-x is brilliant. I mainly use it for tracking, but as said you can download basic maps. I downloaded maps in Italy over wifi then switched the data off to save costs. Memorymap is good, there’s a thread recently about it, but I find motion-x better for tracking and the data you get from it. I’ve got memorymap as I’ve got the desktop version so it’s easy to plot etc.

faz083
    Free Member

I’m not sure if it’s available on iphone but for my android I have MMtracker which was £6 or so, best £6 I’ve ever spent! Absolutely flawless app. Download memory map files and put them in there for offline mapping, does gps tracking, follow routes, proper good app.

johnnystorm

If you’d be prepared to just have OS map data (without tracking or routing) then UKMap (original huh) is £5.99 and you can download as much or as little of the whole UK at 1:50/1:25/1:10 .

Have a look on 7 day shop for rechargeable battery packs. About a fiver and will fully recharge an iPhone from flat. I take one with me and plug it in if I stop for a bite, etc.

muggomagic

Viewranger is superb and getting better with each update. The customer service is excellent, and they are happy to move the licenses between phones if you upgrade or get a replacement. I’ve had the mapping software for about 7 or 8 years and god knows how many phones in that time.
    The iphone version is not yet as feature packed as the symbian version, but they are getting there with each update.
    you can check out their wiki page for all the details.
    Viewranger iPhone wiki

mmel
    Free Member

A second shout here for the free memory map app, it’s free so give it a go. Also you get some free credits to try downloading some OS 25 and 50k maps. I find it great – it’s very easy to import and export trail data etc.

philfive
    Free Member

I use memory map on the iPhone, it’s £10 for around 25000 sqkm of 1:50000 is mapping which is good. Download all the map chunks on wi if beforehand and switch data off. I don’t use it as a sat nav I just pull it out of my jacket every so often and press the location button to check where I am. I’ve done all day in the lakes and used only half the battery.

HantsNightRider
    Free Member

+1 for viewranger
    Agree with everything muggomagic said
    Also creating new routes online via myviewranger is quick and simple. You can create a new route in < 5 mins and have it on your phone ready to go

StefMcDef
    Free Member

If you’re using your iPhone as a GPS, a Mophie Juice Pack Air is an essential piece of kit. Protective case with built in battery that doubles your battery life.

HantsNightRider
    Free Member

Turn off wifi too

GrahamS

Another +1 for Motion X GPS.

You can pre-load OpenStreetMap or OpenCycleMap maps onto it.
    Or you can stream Bing (Road/Satellite/Hybrid/Terrain) and Google (Road/Satellite/Hybrid).

Plus it can give your GPS position in OSGB (as well as the normal Lat/Long) which is useful for checking paper OS maps etc.

And it is only 69p.

Toasty

You can pre-load OpenStreetMap or OpenCycleMap maps onto it.

Using ViewRanger here, you get similar options for switching around different map sources, including both of the above. I actually prefer the OpenCycleMaps to the proper OS maps, very easy to have a glance and see what’s about.

I’ll have to check out Motion X GPS 🙂

budgierider67

Happy Viewranger user here.
    It’s free with OpenMaps so why not install it and give it a go? You just need to pay for OS maps if required then.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘iPhone mapping – ViewRanger versus MemoryMap (versus …..?)’ is closed to new replies.