Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • iPhone GPS???
  • stevenc
    Free Member

Anyone using the iPhone as a GPS while on the bike? If so what apps are you using and are they anygood?

rob2
    Free Member

yep.

use either memory map or cyclemeter.

I like memory map and great with OS maps handy when somewhere I don’t know.

cyclemeter is just a basic gps that overlays your route on either googlemaps or streetmaps (I think!) and records all basic stuff – speed etc. Its blimin great for rides where you don’t need to navigate and also doesn’t seem to use any battery!

I really like the gps on my iphone but I know others have issues.

CiderRiderRich
    Free Member

I have Memory Map on my laptop, so splashed out on the IPhone App. You can upload your pc maps onto your phone.

The GPS works well and records routes better than other apps I have tried – plus it is all on OS maps.

plodtv
    Free Member

yes, endomondo

mightymarmite
    Free Member

Memory map is very good, but maps can add significantly to cost. Great for sharing across different platforms etc. Wont run on macs though !

Motion X GPS / Lite Cheap and cheerful version. Free to download and cache maps. Downside difficult to pre-plan routes as restricted to using on phone / ipad (correct me if im wrong here).

doodlebug
    Free Member

Not got a iPhone as yet, but there does seem some cracking cycling type apps around, but concerned the battery would not last on rides.
    Has anybody had experience ?

robinbetts
    Free Member

I have the free version of Motion X and it’s great for a free app with map caching, but it does really eat the battery (3GS). Not much good for long rides if you want to keep your phone alive for emergencies. I have MemoryMap for the PC but haven’t gone for the app yet. What sort of battery life do you get using MemoryMap? Better than Motion X?

EarlofBarnet
    Free Member

I’d recommend Endomondo too. Found it good for giving split times etc, which is something EveryTrail didn’t do. Excellent for free.

rob2
    Free Member

I use memory map in the background and get a good three hours. Guess it depends on coverage/conditions etc.

If worried about battery life you could get an add on battery?

warton
    Free Member

I’ve been thinking about an add on battery, don’t seem that expensive, although I’m assuming an iPhone with add on battery wouldn’t fit in any bar mounted cases…

rob2
    Free Member

No but you could keep it as backup for calls I guess if the phone runs out?

stevenc
    Free Member

Living in Ireland rules out memory map, can’t get the maps for Dublin/Wicklow as far as I know. So I’ll give one of the other map systems a go. Would it be worth getting a bar mount for it? Or just chuck it in the bag?

spacemonkey

Endomondo is the only app I’ve found where the GPS tracking actually works. Loads of other apps just seems to suffer with drops. No idea why.

Can’t figure out if Endomondo lets you zoom in and pan around though (like others) – mine just offers a static “here’s the region you’ve covered” map, which is pretty basic. Also doesn’t seem to offer any OS mapping – just a Googlemap type tile.

Maybe having an online account does more?

stevenc
    Free Member

Used Endomondo for today’s spin. It worked well. Will have a look at some of the other applications for next week. Thanks all for the input!

youngrob

I use Endomondo too, It just works really well.

ericemel
    Free Member

I’ve been thinking about an add on battery, don’t seem that expensive, although I’m assuming an iPhone with add on battery wouldn’t fit in any bar mounted case

I just got a logic3 one from Orange for £13

stevious

I use Memory Map because I have it on my laptop (which is a mac – you can get it to work) but wouldn’t bother with the spend unless you want MM for other reasons too.

Best of the others I’ve tried for logging is endomondo, but it would be pretty poor for navigating off road.

loddrik
    Free Member

Memory Map Free on iPhone, works great. Spent £20 on map credit and was surprised how much you get, not used half of it up yet.

thehustler
    Free Member

Motionx here, been all over with it without any problems, doing lodnon to paris in july which will be the real test for it

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘iPhone GPS???’ is closed to new replies.