Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • iPhone goosed?
  • ds3000
    Free Member

OK, so I’ve done a stupid thing.

I cleaned my iPhone with a damp cloth and stupidly plugged it in to charge overnight without waiting for it to fully dry out. I was awoken to a burning smell at 5am the following morning, the charger and ihone were red hot, when I disconnected the charger the contacts were glowing red and smoking. Surprisingly the iPhone still worked for the entire day, up until the battery died, now the screen is blank and the phone won’t charge up.

Any advice? Maybe the battery needs replacing? The fact it still worked gived me some optimism that the contents (photots, contacts, ect) can be saved. Thanks

tonyd

Possible you’ve killed it but last night the wife’s iPhone 4 died unexpectedly. After a hard reset it came back to life OK, might be worth a try (hold down power and home buttons for 30 seconds).

nealglover
    Free Member

the contacts were glowing red and smoking.

😯

Sounds dead to me.

More than just a new battery needed there.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Fire it off to me if you want I can pull the board and test it, if it works can work out what needs replacing. Dock connector and battery id guess.

ds3000
    Free Member

wysiwyg, I’m across the pond in NY so posting is possible, but could be a pita for you. Would buying a couple of spares on tinternet and having a go myself be feasible? I have virtually no electrical skills.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Its all plug n play, ideally you want a doner phone to test the main board in. Know anyone with the same phone? What model is it?

ds3000
    Free Member

Its a 4s, my wife has the same phone, although I’m not sure she’d be keen on my tinkering. Batteries seem to be pretty reasonably priced on Amazo.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Yeah dont pay more than a fiver off ebay.

Order a battery and make sure it comes with the pentalobe screwdriver and swap the battery for a start.

enfht
    Free Member

I cleaned my iPhone with a damp cloth

Were you tidying up after playing iWank?

ds3000
    Free Member

lol, busted.

colin1265
    Free Member

On a tangent, can you wake to a burning smell? I thought your sense of smell shut down while sleeping, for whatever reason !

ds3000
    Free Member

I know, it was very weird, I was dreaming about smoke, I’m usually completely out of it until my alarm goes off…

Thanks for the info wysiwyg.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘iPhone goosed?’ is closed to new replies.