Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • iphone email problems
  • Bushwacked
    Free Member

Hi,

Finally got my wifes iphone connected to her email account (only taken a year) When I started it earlier there was an outbox, but now its gone.

The main problem is an email is stuck being sent with the wrong details so wont send but I can't find it to delete it. All other emails send and receive fine.

HELP!

GrahamS

IMAP, POP or Exchange?

Bushwacked
    Free Member

POP I believe.

GrahamS

You may find you have to delete the account settings from the phone the enter them again.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Ok.

rkk01
    Free Member

I'm having the same problem – so any fixes, please post!!!

The iphone software keeps reporting that the username / password aren't compatible for the incoming outgoing mail sever – which is strange as they work ok on web mail login…

Can get emaiul delivered to my phone, but can't bloody send.

Tried on IMAP and POP.

Drac

rkk01 you need to be clearer as your posts contradicts, you say it can't connect and yet delivers the mail.

Also you say your using web login and it doesn't work in IMAP or POP neither of these are web log in.

So does it deliver the mail?

What kind of account are you connecting to?

Sending are you trying to use your ISP provider?

rkk01
    Free Member

To clarify – my ISP provides an online set up guide for iphone (IMAP), which I have followed.

The guide indicates that the login details for the incoming and outgoing mail servers should be the same – so the only difference is the mail server name. However, the software reports that the username / password details for outgoing mail cxannot be verified, and I can't send.

Have also tried setting up under POP settings with the same results.

Drac

However, the software reports that the username / password details for outgoing mail cxannot be verified, and I can't send.

Because if your connecting other than through your home network most ISPs don't allow remote SMTP access.

GrahamS

rkk01: does it work when you are connected via your ISP (i.e. when on your home wifi)?

Bushwacked
    Free Member

I had the same and took the username and password off for the outgoing server and it worked.

rkk01
    Free Member

does it work when you are connected via your ISP (i.e. when on your home wifi)?

No.

Because if your connecting other than through your home network most ISPs don't allow remote SMTP access

I can connect through a web mail login from any computer, so the ISP does allow remote access. Supposedly the mail box names / logins should be the same for iphone as for the web mail 👿

Lactic
    Free Member

If you have a mac set up the email on the desktop mail programme then sync the phone. Sorted it for me.

Cougar

I think I'm going to write a STW Frequently Asked Questions guide…!

As a rule of thumb, when setting up email you need to use your email provider's settings for inbound (pop3) email and your service provider's settings for outbound (smtp). So, eg, setting up Virgin email on an O2 phone, pop3 would be virgin and smtp would be O2.

Additionally, some smtp providers now require you to authenticate and / or use a secure connection. This may require a different port to the default (25) and varies between providers – check their website.

Finally, contrary to the above it is sometimes possible to use your email provider for smtp rather than your service provider, however you will definitely have to authenticate in this case (otherwise the server sees a foreign connection and drops it as an anti-spam measure).

Drac

I can connect through a web mail login from any computer, so the ISP does allow remote access. Supposedly the mail box names / logins should be the same for iphone as for the web mail

That's not the same thing. Your logging into there site and not using imap.

wonkey_donkey
    Free Member

you need to use the SMTP server address for outgoing mail.

POP is for reteiving.

Milkie
    Free Member

A work around would be to setup a Gmail account, get gmail to retreive the emails and setup gmail on the iphone.

Have you got SSL turned on for your email (settings/mail/account/account info)? I would try turning that on if its off.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘iphone email problems’ is closed to new replies.