Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • iPhone – email help please
  • Daniel
    Free Member

I can receive email but I can’t send it. I get the message

‘Cannot send mail. The connection to the outgoing ‘smtp.******.co.uk’ failed. Additional outgoing mail servers can be configured in settings>mail, contact, calendars’

The settings are the same as mail on my macbook, as is the password.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Dan

Drac

Are you trying to send from outside your ISP provider?

z1ppy

Indeedy, are you trying to use a broadband based provider email? Rather than a online type email (hotmail/gmail/et all)

EDIT: Try searching google for ‘your provider’ and iphone or their website, they ‘may’ have different setting for mobile use?

Daniel
    Free Member

Yes. Although saying that I’m not having much luck when connected to my home wifi

Drac

Most ISP providers won’t allow you to use their smtp if your not connect to their network.

pixelmix
    Free Member

As above.

Off the top of my head, set your SMTP server to smtp.o2.co.uk when using 3G, and disconnect from WiFi to send email. If you are at home, the same SMTP settings as your MacBook should work.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Check with your ISP, I bet they have a special page for iPhone users as iPhone users are special 🙂

You shouldn’t have a problem when connected over wifi to your home network but using your isp’s smtp server to send mail from other hotspots or over the mobile network may be a problem. Check for iPhone settings specific to your ISP.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Oh yes, as mentioned above your mobile network provider may have an smtp server you can use to send mail but that may not work over wifi, I can’t remember.

Milkie
    Free Member
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘iPhone – email help please’ is closed to new replies.