Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • iPhone 7 vs. Galaxy S8
  • jamesgarbett
    Free Member

My phone contract is up soon and it seems like these 2 handsets are available for very similar cost with same data allowance etc.

I’m really not bothered about Apple or Android so which one should I go for?

wolfenstein
    Free Member

iphone7 has better camera overall imo .. 7+ ftw

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Wait for the pixel 2.

codybrennan
    Free Member

S8 has a headphone jack, so even though I’m an iPhone user (currently a 6) this would win it for me.

porlus
    Free Member

How about a Nokia 8.

pnik

The iphone 7 is smaller and more capable as a one hander. This is suddenly important to me! I generally prefer android but that is being dimished by highend android phones ditching some of their advantages, replaceable batteries, memory card support and price. Samsung preloaded software was an annoyance on my last samsung although i believe that can now be removed. Frequency of updates is another factor for me most android manufactures churn out new models rather than maintain them, many ‘flagships’ are not yet running nougat, my nexus just got oreo. In all this Apple are easier to deal with and you can imessage you friends because iphones are what most people seem to have.

In short if you don’t care to the degree you are asking on here get an iphone

ampthill

Keep the old phone. Go SIM only. Do something exciting and memorable with the money saved

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Toss a coin.

Then don’t be a dick about whichever you end up with.

prawny

I’m thinking along similar lines. I think the Samsung is better hardware, but I’ve been let down too often with Android OS and apps over the course of ownership.

iPhones aren’t as good hardware as the android opposition, but the software is generally better, without fiddling.

I’ve had my iPhone 6 since it came out so just under 3 years now, and it’s only because I’m being tempted by shiny things that I’m contemplating changing. It still works perfectly I just have to charge it more often, but I do give it some hammer.

I’ll probably just keep it until it dies now tbf.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

iPhones aren’t as good hardware as the android opposition, but the software is generally better, without fiddling.

Go pixel then, android as Google intended. Updates when they come out etc. Just got oreo on my nexus and some nice little changes and improvements. The original pixel was ahead of the 7 tech wise I recall

pedalhead
    Free Member

FWIW, the S8 is a fantastic piece of design, takes phones to the next level imho. Every time I use it I geek out a little at how far technology has come.

Cougar

Keep the old phone. Go SIM only. Do something exciting and memorable with the money saved

‘s what I did. My phone’s probably three years old now is starting to creak but is basically fine, replacing a £500 device every two years is a mug’s game. You wouldn’t throw away your telly after two years and buy a new one.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I was thinking that the other day, but on 24m contracts an S8 costs less than a cheap phone + giffgaff. Infact in good condition an S6 s/h + giffgaff is more expensive so selling after 2 years is avtually one of the cheaper ways to have a phone.

ampthill

but on 24m contracts an S8 costs less than a cheap phone + giffgaff.

I’m all ears quote me the numbers

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

You wouldn’t throw away your telly after two years and buy a new one.

I suspect that some people would, if they often got their telly out in front of others.

prawny

Go pixel then, android as Google intended. Updates when they come out etc. Just got oreo on my nexus and some nice little changes and improvements. The original pixel was ahead of the 7 tech wise I recall

It’s more how well apps work with different devices than the OS it’s self, I used to run cyanogenmod on my old Galaxy S3 and that was great, but some apps were good, some were chronic and some didn’t run at all.

My mate at work as bought a new (admittedly cheap) android phone, and it won’t run the bus timetable app! Also I remember a time when the ITV app was Samsung only and that sort of thing worries me.

ampthill

You wouldn’t throw away your telly after two years and buy a new one.
    I suspect that some people would, if they often got their telly out in front of others.

If the Telly was bundled with your Sky subscription so that you could pretend you were buying it on credit

RoterStern
    Free Member

Reading this thread with interest as my ancient S4 screen gave up the ghost on Friday and is displaying a green mush. Also not sure whether to stay android or go Apple as I am pretty happy with my iPad Air.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Also I remember a time when the ITV app was Samsung only and that sort of thing worries me.

Very strange idea or plan by ITV though does anybody actually watch it?
    Not found anything that won’t run on the Nexus yet.

dannybgoode

Are you android or Apple currently? If so and you’ve got any amount of money invested in apps then your decision is simple.

If not I’d go S8. Brilliant phone and the amount of screen they fit into something really not much bigger than an iPhone 7 is astonishing.

The camera on the S8 is streets ahead also. It’s the first camera where for just general shots I’m happy leaving my dSLR at home.

I should note for fairness I’m no fan of some products either having used both extensively.

deadkenny
    Free Member

porlus – Member 
    How about a Nokia 8.

Just got one. If you’re after no-nonsense pure Android and decent bit of hardware, nice metallic shell, then it’s pretty good. Depends if you want to follow the sheep with edge to edge display and curved display edges, which personally I don’t like (the curved edge stuff especially), as the Nokia 8 is more traditional.

Has interesting dual colour/mono camera and a gimmick mode to take snaps and shoot video (including live) with both front and back camera at the same time. Usual 4K video also etc. Despite the Zeiss branding, it’s not coming out as an amazing camera, but good enough.

Specs good. Nothing stand out, but £499 launch price is a lot lower than i7/s8.

stumpy01

thisisnotaspoon – Member

I was thinking that the other day, but on 24m contracts an S8 costs less than a cheap phone + giffgaff. Infact in good condition an S6 s/h + giffgaff is more expensive so selling after 2 years is avtually one of the cheaper ways to have a phone.

I’ve not seen any deals that would get close to cheap phone & SIM deal, especially when looking at flagship phones.

ampthill – Member

I’m all ears quote me the numbers

+1.

I looked into it quite a bit when I bought my Lenovo P2 earlier this year sim free. It was the first time I’d done this, so wanted to make sure it was going to actually work out cheaper than a contract with phone.

The phone was £200 and I’m paying £13/month for 8Gb data and unlimited calls/texts. The phone was ‘cheap’, but has a great spec & doesn’t feel like a cheap phone.
    So, £512 for 24months phone & tariff – and if the phone works for as long as my Xperia T – it’ll actually be 3-4 years before it gets replaced. (If I keep the phone for 3 years, it’ll work out to £18.55/month.)

Regarding the OP, I would go Samsung. But that is because I have no alliance with any other Apple bits of kit and from using friends’ iphones I don’t really like them; probably because I’m so used to Android stuff.

seosamh77
    Free Member

because iphones are what most people seem to have.

in the uk mobile os marketshare is about 50/50, slight edge to ios but not much, worldwide it’s about 65/35 to 85/15 to android depending what source you look at.

Toasty

S8 for me, I’ve got an S7 and I’m loving it. With the iPhone I’d miss SD card slot, wireless charging, waterproof (I shove it in jersey pockets on rides) and headphone jack.

porlus
    Free Member

deadkennedy

Just got one. If you’re after no-nonsense pure Android and decent bit of hardware, nice metallic shell, then it’s pretty good. Depends if you want to follow the sheep with edge to edge display and curved display edges, which personally I don’t like (the curved edge stuff especially), as the Nokia 8 is more traditional.

Has interesting dual colour/mono camera and a gimmick mode to take snaps and shoot video (including live) with both front and back camera at the same time. Usual 4K video also etc. Despite the Zeiss branding, it’s not coming out as an amazing camera, but good enough.

Specs good. Nothing stand out, but £499 launch price is a lot lower than i7/s8.

Interesting comments thanks. Got one on the radar as an interest, due to having owned a Nokia Lumia 920 back in the day. Currently using a Lumia 950, and more than happy with it (despite windows 10 mobile being on its last legs)

mogrim

S8 for me, I’ve got an S7 and I’m loving it. With the iPhone I’d miss SD card slot, wireless charging, waterproof (I shove it in jersey pockets on rides) and headphone jack.

The iPhone 7 is waterproof. Not arguing with the other points, though. The headphone one is a pain on my daughters’ phones, if they run out of battery on a long drive they actually have to talk to their parents 😆

deadkenny
    Free Member

porlus – Member 
    Currently using a Lumia 950, and more than happy with it (despite windows 10 mobile being on its last legs)

Moved from 640 myself and still really like it, but Win 10 definitely struggling to survive. I wanted a more performant phone, and Surface isn’t happening, apps being slowly killed off and Microsoft’s own apps are generally better on Android!, and then I’ve been a long time Nokia fan so here was the opportunity. I’d still love it to be Windows, with good support and apps (or even some new Nokia OS, hybrid Android maybe but with a more Nokia UI), but not going to happen, so Android it is.

The 640 is being repurposed as my work phone though. Just reset and bumped it onto the insider programme to get the latest OS. They’re still churning them out. Interestingly the latest is now called Windows 10 for ARM mobile devices. Windows 10 Phone/Mobile as a product is gone, but I know MS are keen to make full Windows run on ARM, running all existing apps (unlike RT). Though the 640 won’t be able to run it. They’ve rumoured possible future ARM devices, and some might be mobile capable. Just they may not be phones as we know it.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘iPhone 7 vs. Galaxy S8’ is closed to new replies.