Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)
  • iPhone 6 Plus Users – How Good Is It?
  • curiousyellow
    Free Member

As the availability is now much better, I’m thinking of getting one in the 64GB variant to replace my aging Samsung Galaxy S2 which was a hand me down, and my first smartphone. I’ve gotten over 3 years out of it.

Annoyances on my S2 are:
    – Poor memory management. It complains occasionally about this and requires a cache clear out or deleting apps.
    – Occasional crashes/brownouts. Occurs about once a week if I haven’t rebooted it.
    – Battery life. It needs to be charged every day. I know this is typical of modern smartphones, but it would be nice if it weren’t so.
    – Perceptibly slower than current generation smartphones at launching applications.

I have a couple of Apple products and while an iPhone would integrate into this nicely, I’m wondering:
    – What’s general usability like for someone coming from Android.
    – Is a case a must?
    – How good is integration with Apple devices and software? I use OmniFocus on my desktop. Integration with this would be great!
    – Longevity. My Mac has been with me for over 4 years. Will an iPhone last this long?

Thanks!

footflaps

The official Apple case for the 6 is very nice, really glad I bought it. As for longevity, all my old iPhones (3G, 4 & 4S) are all still in use by various elderly relatives….

curiousyellow
    Free Member

Thanks.

The leather or silicone case? Also, will I need to protect the screen?

jam-bo

128GB 6 here, battery easily last a full day, two if I don’t use it much.

leather case is pretty good, matches my moleskine diary perfectly…not cheap but I had a gift voucher left over. Don’t have a screen protector on mine but the case sits a mm or so proud to lift it away from a surface.

first release of iOS8 was a bit buggy, latest is pretty good so far.

As for lifetime, I generally go for a two year contract, miss a release cycle and replace then. Batteries are pretty goosed by then (~500 charge cyles) but can be replaced.

rocketman
    Free Member

What’s general usability like for someone coming from Android

Never used Android but for an iOS virgin I have to say iOS 8 will seem weird. It’s Ok if you’re used the earlier versions because you’ll know all about Apple’s gestures and tiny symbols that are incredibly important but otherwise it’s not intuitive.

Is a case a must?

The 6+ is as slippery as a bar of wet soap and fingers on the screen do something most of the time so yeah get a case

How good is integration with Apple devices and software?

No problems with this it’s pretty good esp if you have a Mac

Longevity. My Mac has been with me for over 4 years. Will an iPhone last this long?

who knows. I have first gen iPod touch that is functionally 100% but Apple make sure the software is obsolete before the hardware dies

hth

drslow
    Free Member

its too big. I reverted to a 6 after 2 weeks. Its also very slippy so get a case, and if your cycling with it, get a full phone case. The iPhones have hand off which is available on Yosemite with bluetooth 4, this means you can start a document on your mac and then transfer to your phone to complete on the train etc. Your mac may be too old though.

footflaps

The leather or silicone case? Also, will I need to protect the screen?

I have the silicone one, never bothered with screen protectors.

Daffy

Have you got little girly hands? Mine are quite small and the 6+ is rather large, so one handed use is difficult. As mentioned, the curved edges and thin profile also lead to it being quite slippery in the hand.

I never use a case whilst at work or home, and just use a slip case to transport it from A>B.

It worth mentioning that whilst the new screen is fabulous, many apps dont yet support the higher size and/or resolution – the result is that many (Ebay, sky news, rightmove) look terrible.

footflaps

Another nice feature of iOS is you can make / take phone calls on your MacBook / iMac via the phone, same for txts. Quite handy if you’ve left your phone in your bag / in another room….

jambalaya
    Free Member

I have a 6. Having got used to its size I wish i had got a 6+

Battery will still need charging most days, at end of each day I typically have 40% left
    The phone is too thin and slippery not to have a case, I have the leather one
    Connectivity to iCloud/tablet/computer is excellent (contacts, documents, notes, apps etc)

I change my phone every 2 years, my old iPhones are still in use but have needed new batteries.

njee20
    Free Member

Also, will I need to protect the screen?

I’ve got a 6 (IMO the 6+ is too big), and in 2 months it’s picked up as many micro scratches on the screen as my 5 did in 2 years! Apparently this is down to the oleophobic coating on the screen, but I’m considering a screen protector now… A bit stable door/horse bolting, but will stop it getting worse. They’re not bad, and only notice them in bright light, but it’s a shame.

andysredmini
    Free Member

I have a 6+ and although Im used to it now I still think it’s too big. It’s great when you can use it 2 handed but it near on impossible to use one handed and I have large hands. It’s the back swipe and anything else on the far left of the screen that’s almost unusable. As mentioned above it is really slippery and I had to buy a case (because I dropped it a few times) which I never have before. Just don’t buy a soft silicon one as it make getting the phone from trouser pockets very hard. I have a hard silicon ebay one now that cost a couple of £££ which I planned on trying before buying a good one (after regretting buying the soft silicon one) but the cheap one has been great.
    On the positive the screen is stunning and I think I would miss it if I went for the smaller size.

iolo
    Free Member

I had iPhones for a long time. Decided to try android so got an s4. Awful thing it was.
    Now I have 6 plus. Yes it’s big but I knew this before getting one.
    I have baby hands and never used a smartphone one handed so that’s no problem. If you touch the home button twice the screen comes down to reach the top easily if that’s your thing.
    Go to your local phone shop and have a play.

andysredmini
    Free Member

Coincidently I was also just writing about how bad the latest ios is and had nearly finished when the phone crashed.
    Worst ios I have had and I have had every iPhone since the 3g. They don’t seem in a hurry to fix it either.

Cougar

Annoyances on my S2 are:

A factory reset could potentially cure all of those issues.

titusrider
    Free Member

Very happy with an ordinary 6 here, a six plus doesn’t fit in a jersey back pocket…

aka_Gilo
    Free Member

Had my 6+ for about 6-7 weeks now. Yes it’s a big old beast but it fits in my jeans fine, work trousers ok ( a bit “is that a gurt big phone in your pocket or are you pleased to see me?”), cycling clobber fine, motorcycle leathers fine. I never use a phone one-handed ( and with small hands it would be difficult with a 6+) so that’s really not an issue for me. I have a screen protecter and cheapo soft silicone case off eBay and have no problem with it being slippery or hard to use.

I went to the Apple store to buy a 6, but after 10 mins playing with the + I figured it was the one for me. Very quickly, normal sized phones seem far too small.

Bigger screen is great for browsing and watching vids / films, the camera is great (slightly better than the 6 and it has optical rather than digital stabilisation) and I get a good 2 days per battery charge, 3 occasionally with light use.

They’re not for everyone but I reckon 15 mins playing with one and you’ll know if you could live with one..

legend
    Free Member

andysredmini – Member
    Coincidently I was also just writing about how bad the latest ios is and had nearly finished when the phone crashed.
    Worst ios I have had and I have had every iPhone since the 3g. They don’t seem in a hurry to fix it either.
    POSTED 2 HOURS AGO # REPORT-POST

Really? The initial rollout was blatantly unfinished, but since 8.1 it’s been grand for me

mintsauce5
    Free Member

Have a look at the tech armour ballistic glass screen protectors (and cases) I’ve got the screen protector on my 6 and its top notch imo , amazon is where I got mine from 🙂

http://www.techarmor.com/featured-ballisticglass/tech-armor-apple-iphone-6-premium-ballistic-glass-screen-protector-world-s-clearest-screen-protector-retail-packaging.html

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

Just got a 6+, it’s just bigger than a 5 (kind of a pointless comment as you’re coming from a Samsung but heyho…) and that’s about it really, I had a 3 then a 5 and I considered both a pretty awesome step up but the 6+ is just bigger, camera is bloody good though. I thought the 5 was the perfect size for a phone, the 6 to me is just big enough to be irritating with no real benefit and since most of my phone use is browsing I got the 6+.

Never bothered with a case but have got a slip (a fancy/pricey sock) that I put it in so it’s not rattling around against my bike lock in my pannier when commuting, I don’t take it out for “proper rides” as I use an old PAYG that’s waterproof.

And yep, they’re slippery little suckers!!! Everyone I know says the same about their 6/6+, it’s not had its first concrete/Tarmac drop yet!

andysredmini
    Free Member

The latest iOS is definitely better than first but still pretty terrible for Apple. Nothing major is wrong just loads of annoying little things that happen often.
    The worst being the crashes. Always seems to happen before sending a long email or forum reply.
    Others include web pages having problems and a message coming up saying there was a problem and the page needs to be reloaded. Web pages jump all over the place when going back a page. They seem to stay still for long enough for me to think they have finished then as I go to click something they jump and I click the wrong thing.

As I mentioned these are all pretty trivial but not what I expect from Apple of all people.

Just to balance it out some more good points are:
    The camera is very good. Good enought that I barely use my compact any more and the dslr is getting used less too.
    Battery life is better. I can always get a day out of a charge unlike the 5s.
    Bigger screen is good for film watching and browsing. This means the iPad and laptop get used less though.

footflaps

The camera is very good. Good enought that I barely use my compact any more and the dslr is getting used less too.

+1

Battery life is very good, I get several days out of mine on one charge.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

I’ve got a 6+ since release. bought sight unseen I first unboxed it and straight away wanted to take it back as it’s a whopper. I decided to keep it and glad I did now.
    Works fine for me and the size is great as it seems to have replaced my iPad mini for most duties.
    I have shovel hands and struggle to use it 1 handed. so I don’t.
    I keep it in a silicone case and in an Oakley case when I’m working/on my bike, fit’s in my jersey pocket ok and isn’t damaged in any way.

iolo
    Free Member

I must be really lucky as the phone hasn’t crashed yet.
    The only annoying thing I have with it is that the search function stops working sometimes.
    That’s easily sorted with a soft reset.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

If anyone has a 6+ and would prefer a 6 I have a 128gb version is like to swap.

kimbers

No wireless charging tho!

Daffy

MoseyMTB – Member
    If anyone has a 6+ and would prefer a 6 I have a 128gb version is like to swap.

You may need to offer a cash incentive…the Plus is £100 more expensive for the same capacity.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

I’d be happy with a smaller memory model 🙂

tom200

It’s the phone equivalent of 650b+ wheels.

CountZero

My iP6+ is my fourth iPhone, so I have some experience of them.
    It’s certainly big, but so are plenty of other phones, and some sort of case with a screen protector are really a must, it’s very smooth, and thus very easy to let it slip and drop it.
    The TouchID system is brilliant, and works really well, the double-tap function on the home button which drops the home screen app icons down to make the top ones more accessible if you’re a one-handed user is very clever, and I love the fact that all app icons rotate 90 degrees when it’s turned to landscape. The camera is outstanding, although I haven’t used video, time-lapse or slo-mo yet. Battery life is outstanding, I use the phone all day at work, listening to music and streaming 6Music; on my iP5 I would have run the battery down to 5-6% by 4pm, on the iP6+ I’ve usually still got around 60% left.
    I haven’t noticed any issues with crashing, or anything like that with it, it’s very fast, and very smooth running.
    Honestly, it’s getting so that it’s difficult to imagine how a hand-held device could be improved.
    Mine’s a 128Gb version.

kimbers

it’s getting so that it’s difficult to imagine how a hand-held device could be improved.

Ahem

kimbers – Member
    No wireless charging tho!

Do fanbois have android blindness? 😉

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Wireless charging is just not plugging in the adapter though. You still need a wire and base unit.

kimbers

A dropper post is just like using a quick realise though……

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Well played sir, well played!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Wireless charging is a pointless gimmick. Sorry, I’m more blunt. 🙂

kimbers

I bet you don’t even have a qr lever PP, one saddle height up, down and along 😉

aka_Gilo
    Free Member

Just to add I’m on iOS 8.1.2 and have had none of the problems referred to in this thread.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Yup that’s me. I got da skillz, innit.

dti

after iphone 3,4,5 decided to go for a sony xperia – no regrets , battery lasts for 2 days, waterproof and after about 2 weeks does everything the iphone did – but with more memory 128 + 16

curiousyellow
    Free Member

Well. It’s here now.

It’s massive. I feel like Theodore Twombley walking about with the phone in shirt pocket.

I’m trying to figure out how to see the weather and the world clock on the lock screen.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘iPhone 6 Plus Users – How Good Is It?’ is closed to new replies.