Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • iphone 5 or new htc windows phone?
  • chambo82
    Free Member

Possibly due phone upgrade this week and can’t decide, never had an iPhone but now I’ve got an ipad it seem logical to go with the apple, but the new HTC windows phone does look quite good, got a Samsung galaxy s2 currently and will not go for another Samsung, not been great since day I got the thing.
    Be interesting to hear peoples thoughts or experiences with the above.

MrNutt
    Free Member

The new nokia 900 seems to be the best windows phone, but I swore never to buy another nokia!

its going to be an i5 here I think

daveh
    Free Member

Nexus 4?

palookah
    Free Member

Nexus 4 if the Samsung experience of Android hasn’t put you off.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

never had an iPhone but now I’ve got an ipad it seem logical to go with the apple,

It does, because it is logical
    And only when you have more than one Apple device do you understand why it’s logical……. 🙂

I wouldn’t mix more than one OS personally. Simples.

wrightyson
    Free Member

I had a samsung windows 7 phone, utter shyte!!
    Just got I phone 5, pretty much the same as 4, but absolute quality user interface, brilliant app store etc etc

flippinheckler
    Free Member

Prefer my iPhone 5 to previous HTC Desire HD, although annoying how you can’t get a blocker app for spam texts & calls and the lack of a a back space key on the qwerty you have to delete the whole word to correct it.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

lack of a a back space key on the qwerty you have to delete the whole word to correct it.

Eh? All iPhones have a backspace key.
    And you can drag the cursor around to wherever you like. A little magnifying glass comes up so you can see where you’re putting it, so you can edit any part of a word, like so:

Untitled by PeterPoddy, on Flickr

flippinheckler
    Free Member

Thanks PP you’ve just made my life a whole lot easier 😀

ask1974
    Free Member

Been with Blackberry for years but…. have had a MacBook for four years and iPad since they were released. Picked up an iPhone5 on Wednesday and thankful my momentary consideration of an Android was overruled by common sense. Most apps purchased for the iPad drop in nicely (and of course free) and the iCould syncs everything perfectly.

Oh, it’s a pretty superb phone to as well…

joemarshall
    Free Member

windows phone is a bit of a gamble, as no one much uses them, so most developers don’t develop for them.

Iphone is nice if you like apple stuff, but bear in mind, you pay the best part of 500 quid for the privilege of having one, compared to keeping current phone and going sim only contract, and probably about 300 quid more than most other phones. Don’t be trapped into thinking that it is a ‘free’ upgrade – you pay a whole lot of money, just over several months, and you pay a lot more for iphone than other phones.

druidh
    Free Member

Any mixture of Operating Systems is fine as long as none of them are Apple.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

You must be cleverer than me.
    I just like shizzle that works. 😉

druidh
    Free Member

I like shizzle that doesn’t prevent me from buying other shizzle 😛

wrecker
    Free Member

Flip a coin. You’ll get used to and be happy with either. I like my iPhone, others like their android phones. Neither are perfect, both are good enough.
    Just don’t buy a blackberry.

soma_rich
    Free Member

I wouldn’t mix more than one OS personally. Simples.

Is that because nothing integrates with iOS? I use Android on Ubuntu, Win8, XP, and Win7 all play nicely.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Go have a play with one of the new Nokias or HTC’s that you’re looking at. Its really nice to see someone making an OS thats different from iOS and Android (even if it is Microsoft). They’ve gotten good reviews and the OS is, imo, really great. You might not get on it with it, and there are fewer apps available for WP8 but that might not be an issue for you.

GrahamS

Is that because nothing integrates with iOS?

🙄

One thing in favour of sticking with iOS is that you won’t have to pay for most of your apps again to use them on your phone*.

That can be quite an attractive feature if you’ve already forked out for some of the more expensive apps – probably not such a selling point if you’ve only spent 69p on Angry Birds.

*(this would be the same reason I might recommend going for an Android phone if you already had an Android tablet)

tarquin
    Free Member

Like my IPhone 5, works well, not sure I would pay 500 quid for one mind, but then I don’t use it for that much stuff. Google maps, browsing the Internet, email, text and phone. Sometimes use it to stream music from the web but that’s it, I don’t have a million different apps.

I’m sure an iPhone 4 would work just as well for me, but the increased screen size over the 4 is noticeably better.

GrahamS

not sure I would pay 500 quid for one mind, but then I don’t use it for that much stuff… I don’t have a million different apps.

Can I ask why?

I’ve heard people say this before – to me it is like buying a high-end PC then only using it for Notepad and Minesweeper.

Your money obviously – but confuddles me greatly

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Is that because nothing integrates with iOS?

Dunno. I used to have a PC/laptop. Then I got a iPhone which worked fine with iTunes on the laptop.
    Then I got rid if that because I saved up and bought an iMac as a treat to myself. But why would I now go and buy an android phone, for instance? They are doubtless great bits of kit but its logical and sensible to stick with Apple IMO, isn’t it?
    Other people seem to have problems with iTunes on a PC and hate it. I never did and don’t! 🙂

But it makes all types of sense to stick with the same OS between devices, doesn’t it? Surely you can see that? 🙂

tarquin
    Free Member

Can I ask why?
    I’ve heard people say this before – to me it is like buying a high-end PC then only using it for Notepad and Minesweeper.
    Your money obviously – but confuddles me greatly

Because all the apps seem to be games for kids and I have a computer or ps3 to play on instead.

Maybe I’ve not seen the right ones?

I got the phone from work to use so it didn’t cost me anything.

I used to use endomondo but bought a garmin instead as it would eat my battery on my previous HTC.

GrahamS

I have a computer or ps3 to play on instead.

Yeah, but you rarely have those in your pocket whilst sat on the train or out for a ride.

seem to be games for kids.. Maybe I’ve not seen the right ones?

Well, plenty of games for adults too, lots of terribly sensible practical apps as well if you are against games for some reason. 700,000 apps available at last count.

I used to use endomondo but bought a garmin instead as it would eat my battery on my previous HTC.

Doesn’t eat battery too badly on my iPhone 4.
    My experience suggests between 9-12% an hour.

Kryton57

Of all the lots of words in reviews and forums I’ve read, it seems it comes down to the fact that:

A) If you want fit & forget day to day convienience all integrated together and working – I5.

B) If you like to fiddle around to get max battery, the “right” apps, a customisable screen etc etc etc, get something else.

Beyond that is how much battery life you can manage.

druidh
    Free Member

Not particularly. Windows 7 works great on a desktop but rubbish on a phone. Android works great on a phone and not on a desktop. I wouldn’t a server with either. If things are designed to work together, they can.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Go play the new windows phones (and android) come in all shapes and sizes time suit what you want to do with it.

As for lots of apps I use my S3 as a work tool so light on the apps but lots of the core stuff going on. Also angry birds is free

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Because all the apps seem to be games for kids and I have a computer or ps3 to play on instead.

(Disclaimer – the following will be just as valid for Android etc I imagine)

Are you mad?
    Just a few I use –
    Podcast app for audio and video podcasts. What are you interested in? It’s there
    Sync Google (or whatever) calendar to the calendar app
    BBC News
    iPlayer (Download TV and radio shows) 4OD, ITV Player etc
    National rail app to check trains etc
    Every trail for tracking rides
    Geocaching
    Barclays Bikes (brilliant!)
    Lloyds/Natwest banking apps
    iTunes/iPod – I have my entire music collection on my phone and I use it!
    Remote App controls my iMac, very handy.
    eBay – buy, sell and list stuff very easily
    Auto Trader – look for used cars and motorcycles
    Tesco – everything they do is on the app!
    Road Trip – keep track of car expenses
    Flickr – upload pics direct from phone
    iTorch – makes your phone into a torch. Useful.
    Soundhound – identifies unknown music
    Red Laser – scan barcodes in shops and get stuff cheaper!
    Quidco – Free money

There’s more but I’m bored now! 🙂

GrahamS

Go play the new windows phones

Let me fetch my bargepole…

They must be really good though because Jessica Alba, Holly Willoughby, Will Arnett, Jay-Z, Gwen Stefani, and James Corden are all reported to promote use them. 😀

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Not particularly. Windows 7 works great on a desktop but rubbish on a phone. Android works great on a phone and not on a desktop

All the more reason to stick with Apple…!

Maybe you should try something that works for a change? 😉

deviant
    Free Member

Get whatever syncs best with your existing laptop, tablet etc….if you have an ipad and a Macbook it would be daft to get an Android handset, they wont ‘talk’ together as well as all Apple products….likewise if you have an Android tablet it makes sense to get an Android phone….i havent had a play with any of the new Windows 8 software but its getting good reviews.

pictonroad

up there^, Peter Poddy it looks like you’ve linked a flickr photo from an iphone. I can upload it but I can’t get the img properties to post to a forum, what am I missing?

BiscuitPowered
    Free Member

An HTC phone with a fledgling OS… you’re braver than me

jota180
    Free Member

It’s a phone FFS – get a grip

BiscuitPowered
    Free Member

It’s a phone FFS – get a grip

Excuse me?

jota180
    Free Member

Excuse me?

A phone

Flaperon

Not particularly. Windows 7 works great on a desktop but rubbish on a phone. Android works great on a phone and not on a desktop.

And above lies the reason you shouldn’t trust internet forums for advice, ‘cos ultimately very few people know what they’re talking about.

The best phone for you is the one that you find easiest to use – in general, you could say that anything you can do on one you can do on all.

Generally reviewers seem quite impressed with the new Windows Phone 8; as they were with the Nexus 4 and the iPhone 5.

Go into a shop and try a few of them. The point of Windows Phone is that a lot of stuff that you need apps for on the other devices is built right into the operating system, but your mileage may vary.

If someone on here has coughed up £500 on any of these devices, they’re not going to recommend one of the others even if they desperately regret their decision. You’ll never get unbiased advice.

BiscuitPowered
    Free Member

jota180 – Member

A phone

Yes, that’s what’s being discussed… care to elaborate further?

GrahamS

The point of Windows Phone is that a lot of stuff that you need apps for on the other devices is built right into the operating system

In other words, it is late to market so there are very few apps for it compared to iOS and Android, so Microsoft have tried to compensate by bundling as much as they could. 😀

Funny isn’t it. Not so very long ago Microsoft were being heavily criticised (and hit with legal action) for building Internet Explorer into Windows. These days folk complain when this stuff isn’t built-in.

BiscuitPowered
    Free Member

Flaperon – Member

And above lies the reason you shouldn’t trust internet forums for advice, ‘cos ultimately very few people know what they’re talking about.

If someone on here has coughed up £500 on any of these devices, they’re not going to recommend one of the others even if they desperately regret their decision. You’ll never get unbiased advice.

Actually I do know what I’m talking about, having owned both HTC phones and phones with fledgling OSes and indeed an HTC phone with a fledgling OS (back when Android was still fledgling). And if you’d asked me at the time I would have told you it was a heap of shit.

I’m not saying HTC are bad or that Windows Phone 8 is bad, just that HTC don’t have a particularly stellar history of hardware quality and Windows Phone 8 is just an unknown quantity, not necessarily in terms of reliability but certainly in terms of app support and so on.

Jeez.

mudsux
    Free Member

Well I really like my Nokia windows phone… does everything I want well.
    People seem to get hung up on being able to download a million apps onto their phones.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘iphone 5 or new htc windows phone?’ is closed to new replies.