• This topic has 16 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by jackery-spam.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • iPhone 5 Cracked Screen – Help Please
  • Alphabet

My SO has cracked the screen on her iPhone 5 and I can’t find any of the previous threads on recommendations as to which supplier to buy a new screen from.

I’ve looked on Amazon and ebay and they seem to be around £20 with a set of tools.

Is it straight forward to replace or would she be better off taking it to a shop and leaving it with them for a couple of hours or so?

Thanks.

cblair246
    Free Member

Its exceptionally easy. There are 2 screws in the phone beside the charger socket. Remove them, remove the screen with the suckers, replace the screen and re-secure the screws. If you are remotely handy with this type of thing then its a doddle! I got a screen off ebay, just went for the most popular one at the best price, job done. Also plenty of vids on YouTube on how to do it.

kcal

wysiwig to the forum…

Woody
    Free Member

cblair246

Either I’ve been looking at the wrong videos on this or your idea of ‘simple’ is far removed from mine!

Have you got a link as MrsW has broken her screen.

drlex
    Free Member

I may be updating this thread tomorrow, as have ebay screen due in.
    Apple wanted £100+, local place £75, so £19 seems worth a punt. Don’t watch the ones where the guy is detaching the broken glass from the backing; there’s one which shows it to be a few screws and taking care when unplugging the old one.

Woody
    Free Member

I saw that one (and several others) after I’d bought a new glass for £2 off fleabay. Can’t bring myself to dig about with a blade as the cover won’t come off using the sucker alone.

The price of failure on a week old 5s would be high 😯

drlex
    Free Member

I’m buoyed by the comment from a work colleague that he did his sister’s screen swap and it took him ten minutes, inc. tea break.

gonefishin
    Free Member

I’ve not done a screen but I did to the battery (my god how much glue do they use!) and it was fairly striaght forwared. The tool kit from ifixit.com and the instructions were fairly clear and easy to follow although the amount of force required to get the initial separation of the screen from the phone was a bit worrying.

igm

Well that’s a bit different from the iPhone 4 then.

To replace screen, first take entire phone out through the back until you reach the back of the screen. Replace screen. Refit entire phone. Wonder if the”extra” bits matter.

jambalaya
    Free Member

The front screen replacement varies hugely by model. The 4 (as per @igm) is a total nightmare. I messed around with an old phone just for fun and its now a pile of broken bits. Rear screens are generally very easy as are batteries.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Woody> stick packing tape over the screen to give the sucker something to get hold of. If not stanley blade bottom left corner theres a slight cut out if you can lift the screen a mm to get a blade in

wysiwyg
    Free Member

drlex> DO MAKE SURE you keep the screws that hold the blanking plate over the lcd ribbon in the RIGHT ORDER. One is .1mm longer than one it looks like and if you put it in the wrong hole, it shorts the board out and bye bye iphone

Sandwich

I did my iPhone 5 twice: once with a bare screen requiring a build from the bits on the broken screen, second time I bought a complete screen assembly from Amazon. 20 minutes plus the first time, second time it was a 5 minute job.

keng38
    Free Member

Easiest is to replace the glass and screen behind as one piece.
    Cost from ebay £20 including tools.
    First time I did it I cracked the new screen pushing it back in as the metal case was slightly bent after it had been dropped.
    It’s very easy to do if you follow YouTube instructions (on a different device)
    Since then I have replaced a battery and the charger dock.

drlex
    Free Member

@wysiwyg
    -thanks – will get the divided pill box out so that I can keep them in the correct layout.
    Nothing in post today, so looks like a weekend job. Should have done Amazon Prime…

drlex
    Free Member

Fiddly job, but done & saved a good few quid.
    To borrow from “Zulu” – tiny screws, sir – fawsands of ’em!
    Think the new screen is bluer than the original, so downloaded f.lux to adjust.

Woody
    Free Member

Cheers wysi

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘iPhone 5 Cracked Screen – Help Please’ is closed to new replies.