Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 116 total)
  • iPhone 5
  • loddrik
    Free Member

So looks like being unvieled on the 4th and on sale by middle of oct. Anyone getting one?

I sit here out of contract and iphoneless in preparation. The wait is hard…

FuzzyWuzzy

Not unless I ‘accidentally’ break my 3GS and work replaces it with a 5, I’m guessing there’s still plenty of 4’s in warranty stock though 🙁

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Are they going to put Flash on it?

loddrik
    Free Member

Hope not.

ericemel
    Free Member

I will probably get one when then come along. And I bloody hope they don’t put flash on it!

Nice to see the phone recycle sites will take £300 for my 15 month old iphone 4! Amazing residual value.

clubber
    Free Member

They won’t put flash on it. Too much loss-of-face aside from all the technical reasons not to.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Flash is my deal-breaker. I hope that’s why it’s been delayed.

DaRC_L

Unless Samsung win their tit-for-tat court case in which case you could be waiting for a while…

GrahamS

They won’t put Flash on it.

Even the new Windows 8 doesn’t support flash on tablets/phones.

Drac

I’m due an upgrace so will be looking at them with interest and as yet I’ve to find a time I’ve needed to use Flash on my iPhone.

loddrik
    Free Member

Tbh when I briefly had a galaxy s2, I found flash just slowed down what was otherwise a superb browsing experience.

lunge

I hope it is released in October as my contract finishes in November and I quite fancy a cheap iPhone 4.

slowrider
    Free Member

want one!

clubber
    Free Member

I find flash works fine on my HTC Desire S though I did manage ok without it on my previous iPhone. It is quite useful actually being able to run full (eg non-mobile) sites at times though as the mobile versions often aren’t great and it’s suprising just how much flash there does seem to be.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I can’t believe they’re not putting Flash on it 🙁

clubber
    Free Member

Like I said, loss of face would mean that they won’t do it.

http://www.apple.com/hotnews/thoughts-on-flash/

Besides, the volume of the iPhone market means that any serious website has to cater for them meaning that there’s a flash-free version.

warton
    Free Member

Got an iPhone 4 and happy with it. will keep it till my contract runs out in a year then look to see whats about, maybe a 6 if they’re out by then

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I can’t believe they’re not putting Flash on it

Why? In 2.5 years of iPhone usage, I can’t think of one time when it’s been a problem

I won’t be getting a 5. My 32gb 4 is perfect right now, and I’ve got 6 months contract to run. I’ll wait for the IP6 🙂

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Darcy, you can just find me here instead! 😉

GrahamS

dd: is there a particular site you want Flash for?

If it is just for video then most good sites already offer HTML5 video instead, which also has the advantage that it takes less time to download and uses less of your data allowance.

Most other Flash video can be played by using the Skyfire browser, which converts Flash video to HTML5 on the fly.

But if it is for something more complicated (i.e. Flash games or apps) then you’re pretty much stuck and you’d have to go for a ‘droid.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

It’s a massive disappointment. 🙂

organic355
    Free Member

is it definitely an iphone 5 that is being released, and not a 4 (S) or evne new software??

where did you read this, or is it just rumours?

pjbarton
    Free Member

be prepared for a 4S (iPhone 4 look-a-likey) 🙁

many flash sites are designed for ‘mouseovers’ and the like – just can’t work with touchscreens. flash is dying fast anyway. The only thing you miss is video clips on BBC news and the like – daft way do deliver video anyway.

Cougar

I can’t believe they’re not putting Flash on it

I can’t believe anyone would think they would. Apple and Adobe are most categorically not sitting in a tree.

Can’t say as I’d miss it, personally. I like my websites to stand still when I’m trying to read them.

GrahamS

is it definitely an iphone 5 that is being released, and not a 4 (S) or evne new software??

New phone is definite.
    But no one is sure if it will be an iPhone 5, a “4S” or possibly both.

New software is also definite. iOS 5 is already available to developers and the features are well known.
    http://www.apple.com/ios/ios5/features.html

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Will iOS6 have Flash do we think?

GrahamS

No, no I don’t think it will. 🙄

fisha
    Free Member

flash is on the way out … if its not been on the previous 4 versions of the iphone, multiple ipods and 2 ipads, then its never going to be ( not officially anyway ) …

personally, I cant stand flash, hate it. hate the websites that are completely written them, just always been something i’ve never liked. HTML5 is the future.

As for the iphone5 … macrumors show some good pictures of new case designs which show it being a wedge shape … dont think I would like that. I like the current iphone4 shape and feel … just the screen a little small.

( I actually have a Galaxy S2 for the bigger screen, but still like the oiphone )

sharkbait
    Free Member

Will iOS6 have Flash do we think?

By the time iOS6 comes out Flash will be ancient history.

Not getting an iPhone5 (no money and my 3gs still works) but I’m looking forward to iOS5, mainly for full mirroring the iPad2 to AppleTV

clubber
    Free Member

DD stop trolling 😉

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Ok clubber 🙂

convert

Apple and Adobe are most categorically not sitting in a tree.

Which is weird because one of the main reasons most have for choosing a mac rather than PC is the graphics type work and the adobe software is still the choice on a mac for most.

Still rather confused by the flash thing – what hae I’ve been missing out on without it? I don’t game al all and use my phone for very limited amounts of complex surfing so maybe it’s my use that means I’ve never felt it a problem.

I’m still using a iphone 3g and do find it a bit slow but prefer it as a thing in my pocket to wife’s b’berry or friend’s android devices so seriously thinking of either buying a 5 direct from apple or getting a new contract phone.

It will be interesting to see how much better it is than the existing iphone4 and if the differences are small I’d be tempted to get a 4 instead and saving some cash.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Still got a year left on my contract so will be waiting for the iPhone 6 – probably.

If I can get £300 for my iPhone 4 then who knows.

Jamie
    Free Member

xiphon
    Free Member

Jesus-phone?

I’d only want one to learn the inner-workings of it, not to actually use.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Lost me Jimmers.

Jamie
    Free Member

Jesus-phone?

Genius!

xiphon
    Free Member

Been reading El Reg too much….

philconsequence
    Free Member

maxray
    Free Member

Im not sure flash is “dead” as such. It stil has lots of uses within the web industry. It is a good thing for website design specifically that the iphone has been such a success as without it the move towards html5 /css3 would be much slower.

It is all about using the right tool for the job, e.g. you would struggle to make something as interactive as the club penguin site without flash.

I am very, very happy the splash page / intro movie is dying out and that designers generally are thinking a little more about building their websites for their target market.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 116 total)

The topic ‘iPhone 5’ is closed to new replies.