Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • iPhone 4 advice required
  • Flapjack
    Free Member

Hi.
    Ordered an Iphone 4 16gb from a national company and due to a confusion in billing/delivery addresses they somehow managed to send me 2! 😀
    I have no need for it so was going to give it to a family member or flog it, but how would they go about getting a sim for it? and would there be any problems with registering it etc?

Cheers
    FJ

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Write to them and tell them to collect it from you at their expense within 2 weeks or you will consider it a free gift from them

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Keep hush and try a small sim card in it.

fourcrossjohn
    Free Member

u can order pay n go mini sim cards

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Is it an unlocked “sim free” one? If so you’ll have no issues getting a sim. I suspect you might trip up trying to register it though. If your conscious is clear give it a go…

…and let us know how you get on 🙂

iBaa
    Free Member

Go to any of the high street phone shops and you can get a free PAYG micro sim when you pay for top up.

greene
    Free Member

Weeelll the thing is as you may or may not know the iPhone 4 takes a micro sim even if you got a sim only deal you are likely to get a “normal” size one that said there are plenty of guides online on how to chop down a standard sim card to make it into a micro sim card. That said if they realise the phone is gone, sent out in error, they may well remotely brick it which they can easily do (and you can too if it was yours with the find iPhone app). If they don’t I would use it, it is fairly easy to set one up through iTunes if you plug it in it is step by step as I remember it when I got my i4.

grantway
    Free Member

If its from Carphone Warehouse All there phones are open to any company’s micro sim

BoardinBob

Car phone warehouse managed to send me three PS3s when my missus took out a contract with them a couple of years ago 🙄

allthegear
    Free Member

greene – the Find My iPhone app that is used to “remotely brick” the lost/stolen phone doesn’t actually brick it – it just wipes the memory and resets it to factory defaults. It’s a tool to get rid of private data, not stop the phone being used by others.

Rachel

jakeds
    Free Member

iPhone’s purchased from the Apple Store will only work if they’ve been through the till system, ie. unless it’s actually been purchased, when plugging the phone in to iTunes to activate it, it won’t work. So I guess it depends on how the carrier has got the item to you, like did they scan it out, or just accidentally drop two in the box.

jakeds
    Free Member

Also, it would be really bad form to ‘remotely brick it’ and I’m pretty sure the carrier won’t have the power to do that (apart from blocking the IMEI from their network if they so choose, still unlikely. Apple also definitely won’t brick it remotely, even if your phone is stolen there’s nothing Apple will do remotely.

trail_rat
    Free Member

normally id say let em know perhaps send it back – since its carphone warehouse – bunch o knobs … id rather tell you to use it or throw it in the bin than send it back to them …..

bitter much 🙂

Flapjack
    Free Member

No, it didn’t come from Apple luckily, and it was sent to my work address whereas the other one went to my home address so assumingly it was ‘scanned out’ properly as it came with a new sim card – but obviously the same number as the one I have!

jakeds
    Free Member

Putting the sim card in both I guess would flag somewhere, I’m sure the carrier (probably not Carphone Warehouse though) tracks the IMEI numbers of phones the SIM card is put in and registers it to that device somehow (I may be wrong).

Saying all of this, I’m sure their warehouse accounts for lost stock and thus just writes it off as a loss at the end of each month. This sort of thing must happen all the time, to them I guess it’s just a box.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Why can’t you just do the honest thing and tell the retailer that you have something that you haven’t paid for? If they don’t have it collected, it’s yours after 14 days (as per pdf’s response at the top of the thread) – worry about how to make use of it when you actually own it.

Flapjack
    Free Member

To be clear, I told them immediately that I could not collect the one they had sent incorrectly to my work address as I was due to go on holiday the next day. After kicking off at customer services they agreed to deliver one to my home address the next day and I instructed them that they would have to arrange collection of the other unit from my work address. When I returned from holiday hey presto it was still there. I haven’t been billed for it and this all happened about a month ago, so to answer your question 3fish, and according to you, in the eyes of the law I do own it…they obviously can’t be arsed to collect it.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

I haven’t been billed for it and this all happened about a month ago, so to answer your question 3fish, and according to you, in the eyes of the law I do own it…they obviously can’t be arsed to collect it.

It’s not worth it, in my opinion, to get yourself in legal strife over it. You can take legal advice from CAB or somebody with a firmer grasp of the legislation (ie not me!!) over how to proceed in a way that isn’t going to leave you with egg on your face. I agree entirely that if they can’t be bothered to reclaim their property then you should crack on and take advantage. Just cover your back is all I’m saying.

Here’s a C&P from The Answer Bank:

The Unsolicited Goods and Services Act used to give the sender of unsolicited goods 6 months to arrange for the collection of such goods (at the sender’s expense and at a time convenient to the recipient), after which they became the recipient’s property. (You were also supposed to notify the sender, within 30 days of receipt, that he should arrange collection and that you’d regard the goods as yours after 6 months). The Act has now been amended and you have the right to regard any genuinely unsolicited goods as an outright gift from the moment the goods arrive.

However, lawyers could argue over whether the Hoover was ‘genuinely unsolicited’. Your case would be that you only solicited the dispatch of the first Hoover, not of the second one. The sender’s case would be you definitely solicited certain goods from him and that you should not benefit from a genuine error on his part.

That brings us to the provisions of the Theft Act, which makes it an offence to seek to benefit from the errors of others. (For example, if a bank employee accidentally fills a cash machine with ?50 notes, instead of ?20 ones, it’s an offence not to return excess money which is paid out to you).

UK law requires that any business trading online must provide you with a postal address. Assuming that the trader has complied with the requirement, I suggest sending a letter by recorded delivery (and, of course, keeping a copy of the letter) stating that you expect the trader to advise you within (say) 30 days of the arrangements for collecting the Hoover. Also state that if you do not hear from the trader within that period, you will regard the Hoover as an unsolicited gift. (However, to be on the safe side, I’d hang on to it for 6 months before selling it. There could then be no argument that you’d unreasonably sought to gain from the trader’s error).

BrickMan

get back covered, then work out how to avoid phone being remotely bricked.

I’m having fun with another phone company, seems they take the direct debit when they feel like it, some months they do, most months they don’t, yet my bill shows as being paid? crazy shit yo.

BoardinBob

Just to follow up on my PS3 bonanza with Carphone Warehouse, the PS3 was a free gift with the phone contract.

Attempt 1 – They deliver the PS3 to the nearby Carphone Warehouse but no phone, it’s been “lost” somewhere. They give us the PS3 while we’re waitnig for the phone

Attempt 2 – They deliver a PS3 to our house, but no phone…

Attempt 3 – The deliver a phone to the shop, which we collect, along with another PS3 😆

All sounds good, until about 6 months later I noticed my wifes mobile bills were very high according to the direct debit, despite her minutes/ text allowance being more than adequate.

Upon further investigation we discover Carphone Warehouse had setup three mobile phone contracts for her, corresponding to the three phones they sent out, but obviously we’ve only ever used on of them. Major, major hassle to get it sorted and to get the money back.

M6TTF
    Free Member

My mate had a MacBook pro delivered to his house whilst on holiday due to his card being cloned. Called up and told them, stopped his card etc, got the money refunded. Retailer never collected.

Hey presto – 1500 quids worth of laptop. Jammy shitbag!

Cougar

there are plenty of guides online on how to chop down a standard sim card

Or you could just go to the store and ask them for one.

Jamie
    Free Member

My mate had a MacBook pro delivered to his house whilst on holiday due to his card being cloned. Called up and told them, stopped his card etc, got the money refunded. Retailer never collected.

Hey presto – 1500 quids worth of laptop. Jammy shitbag!

I never get anything like that happen to me…..bah.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘iPhone 4 advice required’ is closed to new replies.