Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • iPhone 3GS And iOS 5
  • stoofus
    Free Member

I bought a second hand iPhone 3GS off the forum and have been delighted with it. The chap I had it off had the phone factory unlocked and jail broken. The jail brake was wiped before I had it although the factory unlock remained. Have been reading reports that upgrading to iOS 5 will reinstate the handset lock on the phone. Anyone one heard this or experienced updating on an unlocked 3GS? Did the lock kick in?

higthepig
    Free Member

My iPhone 3GS was unlocked when I bought it, downloaded iOS.5 the other night and all seems to be working fine right now and on my service provider. Not sure if the jailbreak will affect what happens, don’t really understand what it does to the software, sorry!

z1ppy

The OS update won’t affect state of the factory unlock (as in: which network provider it will work with), it would only reset the jailbroken status to “normal” (or un-jailborken, so any dodgy (apps downloaded for freee that are chargable) software won’t work/be installed?.

I haven’t updated my 3GS yet.. waiting for some feedback, as per any normal Windows update before proceeding.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Cant help with the lock question but iOS5 has def perked up my 3gs.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

z1ppy, Running a 3GS with iOS5 since it came out a couple of days ago. So far no problems at all.

woody74

HI it didn’t reinstate the lock on my wires 3G if that helps. All the networks removed the locking of iPhones I think 1 year after they were released. YOu could go online to say the O2 website and request an unlock. Not sure if the situation has changed. Unlocking is really easy anyway, just Google it, took me seconds when I did it a few years back

z1ppy

Hmm tempting to upgrade then (now the initall rush is over), but normally it take a week or two before they locate (or admit) all the bugs.

onewaydown
    Free Member

Factory unlock remained when I upgraded my 3GS.

So far iOS 5 has been stable for me and seems faster.

May be worth checking if your favourite apps have been updated to work with iOS5 before upgrading though.

geordiemick00
    Free Member

May be worth checking if your favourite apps have been updated to work with iOS5 before upgrading though.

I think part of the app developers agreement is that they have to make all apps future proof, prevents them from re-charging when the phone is changed. I bought a 4 last week and all the apps that were on my 3GS transferred fine.

For the record I intentionally swapped a week before the new model, I don’t want to be another apple development customer and a 4 on IOS 5 is as near as dammit for the money.

willard

Turn off location services… I stupidly turned it on during the upgrade and wondered why the battery went in about 4 hours.

Mind you, it’s still taking a long time to charge, so maybe the battery needs replacing.

Oh….

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘iPhone 3GS And iOS 5’ is closed to new replies.