Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • iPads
  • thegreatape
    Free Member

When you’re at home on your wifi, is it secure to do online banking and buying stuff on them, or not.

Or can they not do that stuff anyway?

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

They can

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Yes it’s fine. As safe as any other device.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Thankyou

CountZero

Probably more so, no real chance of keystroke readers and other such malware getting onboard.

samuri
    Free Member

The risk on mobile devices like ipads is that they can get stolen.
    And once they’re stolen, anything stored on them belongs to who has your device.

I’m just an amateur but I can collect all stored usernames and passwords from a stolen ipad in less than 5 minutes. Do NOT store any passwords or identifying data on your ipad, or any other mobile device for that matter.

Treat them like your wallet, if you lose them or they get stolen, what have you lost

I recently attended a security conference and watched a demo of hackers recovering all personal and cached data from an ipad. Their summary comment was
    ‘If you care about it, do not access it from your ipad and do not store it on your ipad.’

That’s not anti-apple, it’s anti-mobile.

GrahamS

Does that really apply to mobile banking thou samuri?

You’d have to be a bit of a bumper to tick the “Always Remember Password For This Site” box on your online banking. And decent online banks never ask for the entire password anyway.

Having said that, if anyone nicks my iPhone then it’d be getting Remote Wiped as soon as I could get to a PC/phone.

samuri
    Free Member

Having rubbed shoulders with a number of guys hacking and protecting these devices over the last few months, I simply wouldn’t trust them. That’s me though, I’m naturally paranoid. I expect they are as far as access goes, no different although the the threat to mobile devices is now far greater than it is to desktop computing.

The proliferation of malware deliberately targetting financial information specifically on mobile devices is rife, it’s completely out of control. And don’t believe because apple vet their software the risk is any less, there are a number of zero day vulnerabilities against ipads and iphones and apple regularly remove apps from their store that are found to contain malware.

Sleep tight.

warton
    Free Member

Samurai, but goes for all ‘mobile’ devices. Laptops included

trail_rat
    Free Member

you know your always advised never to write down your pin number

well urm isnt saving your passwords to a device – be it mobile or not just writing it down ?

im a big sceptic perhaps with a tinfoil hat but i NEVER save passwords to computer never mind my ipad – whats the point in a password if your basically going to bypass it everytime ?

Cougar

iPads aside,

As a basic rule of thumb, using the mobile data network is relatively secure, using a public Wifi is not.

When in doubt, err on the side of caution.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘iPads’ is closed to new replies.