• This topic has 15 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by Drac.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • iPad / wi fi question
  • Houns

So it’s a nice day and I want to be sat in the garden listening to some radio shows via my iPad.

Unfortunately I can’t do this as my iPad loses the wifi signal in the garden. I don’t have this problem with my phone or laptop, so how can I improve my iPad to pick up my wifi?

jam-bo

Turn it upside down

Houns

The wifi yes?

samuri
    Free Member

Hack into next doors wireless.

If they’ve got an iPad too then it’s easy!

Houns

Sadly no other wifi networks in range

Special_ized_Jamie

Has any one else ever tried to get wifi in your garden with an iPad so you can see if it’s just yours or a bigger issue?

Could buy a booster as if it was to get a signal it going to be pretty week

sparkerfix

If you have an I phone and that’s ok could you use personal hotspot.?

Houns

No other iPads to try. My phone is a htc.

I occasionally get a waft of the signal but it goes as soon as it comes. Looks like I’m stuck with using the laptop

unovolo
    Free Member

I can get wifi in my garage which is detached next to our rear garden ,router is sat on top of my sky box in the centre of the house.
    Distance wise i’d imagine its about 30ft and thru several walls.

I’m using a ipad 1 and the latest Sky router which is a 801.N rated router.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Use a radio….

or am I missing something?

hugor
    Free Member

I have found my ipad wifi reception is weaker than my laptop too.
    Mine struggles (ie 1 bar) in my bedroom, and I live in a 2 room unit with the router in the lounge prob 10 metres away.

cp

I doubt you’d be able to do anything to the ipad to improve it, and I guess you’ve considered moving the wifi router (if you have seperate modem/router you could use ethernet over mains, plug the modem into the mains adaptor near it’s current location and plug the wifi router into a mains adaptor somewhere nearer the back of the house).

Or use a wi fi repeater, like this:-

http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/26041527/Netgear-N300-Wireless-Repeater/Product.html?_%24ja=tsid:11518%7Ccat:26041527%7Cprd:26041527

AnyExcuseToRide
    Free Member

ive no idea if this will help but is your wifi box in your kitchen or near it? i have read that if you have your wifi box lower than your fridge or freezer it affects the signal, could be a load of poop like but worth a shot to move it away if so?

metal_leg
    Free Member

Make sure its on the 2.4Ghz band – 5Ghz is no good at going through walls. Also, make sure its on a clean channel which should help. Even though you cant see anything else from your garden, the router itself might. Your ipad still has to get a signal back to the router.

There should be a few wifi analyser apps for the ipad which you can use to test for the best band in your house.

Of course this is all rubbish if your router claims to use the best channel automatically.

bruneep

I can use my HTC as a wifi hotspot and connect to my iPad.

Drac

Use a radio….

or am I missing something?

An iPad.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘iPad / wi fi question’ is closed to new replies.