Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)
  • iPad prices – WOW!
  • Spongebob
    Free Member

I was thinking about getting one because I heard you can get full UKHO marine charts for them for just £30.

I was thinking these iPads would be around £400-450, but for one with half decent capacity try £700!? WTF!?

Why can’t Apple be less greedy and have things like a SD slot, or replaceable battery?

I guess the answer is that their products are only for stupid people – tech. ignorant fashion victims!

I’d have to get a decent netbook and Memorymap marine charts instead. This would save me a whopping £450, but end up with a far better specced bit of kit with vastly more storage, an SD card slot and which is vastly more flexible and compatible.

Now why did I even think of looking at Apple products?

jam-bo

I heard you can get full UKHO marine charts for them for just £30.

i doubt that. certainly not legitimate ones. Try £30 a chart…

chvck
    Free Member

That’s more than my laptop cost and I can play pretty modern games on that too!

miketually
    Free Member

Other tablet/slate devices are available, at a variety of prices.

They may or may not be as shiny.

geoffj

3/10

warton
    Free Member

I guess the answer is that their products are only for stupid people – tech. ignorant fashion victims!

I’ve got a macbook which I use for programming in Java and web (PHP, javascript etc) and its the best piece of kit I’ve ever had. I don’t think I’m stupid, but you obviously know better.

Spongebob
    Free Member

I’ve got a macbook which I use for programming in Java and web (PHP, javascript etc) and its the best piece of kit I’ve ever had. I don’t think I’m stupid, but you obviously know better.

So you couldn’t get a top spec Microsoft PC for 30% less and do the same thing on it?

DrJ

Because you hadn’t defined your needs beforehand, and were (greedily) seduced by the tales of cheap maps?

Personally I love my iPad, and would not be as happy with a netbook, but hey, I must be a tech. ignorant fashion victim.

grumm
    Free Member

Very poor troll.

Luxury technology item in not cheap shocker. 🙄

tragically1969
    Free Member

So you couldn’t get a top spec Microsoft PC for 30% less and do the same thing on it?

Stop trolling, if you want one buy one, if you dont then dont buy one, simples, if you can’t afford one dont moan about it, simples ?

DrJ

Define “same thing”.

Microsoft PCs don’t run Mac OS X, so obviously the answer is “no”.

chvck
    Free Member

I personally think that apple products such as Macbooks are priced about right for the hardware and software you get. I don’t get on with OSX but I’d quite like to try one for a while to see how it is for coding, I also want to put that I’ve got experience doing that on my CV :p.
    What Apple don’t do is cater for the cheaper end of markets, not that I can blame them. If you could get people who just want to browse the net and listen to music to spend £700 on a way OTT piece of tech for that purpose then why bring out a lower end spec? (I’m talking about macbooks there not ipad and I’m not say that everyone who has a mac just browses the net either before anyone starts)

ooOOoo
    Free Member

STW – where VFM is irrelevant

Drac

Sounds like it’s the wrong product for you anyway.

Spongebob
    Free Member

jam bo – Member

Reading an article in this month’s Practical Boat Owner mag, someone is saying that he has compared the charts working on an iPad with his expensive dedicated chart plotter which accepts the same charts which come on a storage card and which cost around £160 each.

They had a response from the Apple store and the chart supplier which confirmed that the iPad product was a bit of a giveaway, but highighted that an iPad is of limited use as a chartplotter due to various factors.

STATO
    Free Member

the prices for an all sining and dancing one are stupid TBH, but i dont get why youd default to that option anyway. My parents have one and it gets heavy usage, but only for emails, games, internet forums and other little bits and pieces. You dont need daft ammounts of storage unless your going to use it away from you home PC (you have a PC/laptop anyway right?) and want to carry lots of movies/music on it. If its a home browsing tool, and thats its main use lets face it, then you dont need that sort of storage. Also, 3G? again, useful for a bit of on the move browsing but considering you need to pay a contract ontop of your phone and probably your home internet plus cost on device, not sure id bother.

bigyinn
    Free Member

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

welcome to Steve’s walled garden 🙂

DrJ

Doesn’t your garden have walls, Simon?

Spongebob
    Free Member

Stop trolling, if you want one buy one, if you dont then dont buy one, simples, if you can’t afford one dont moan about it, simples ?

Not trolling and, if I was mad enough, i could go and buy dozens of these.

If they were a sensible price and a bit more flexible, I would buy one. I’m just exasperated at the disproportionate price.

I’m going to get a Compaq 311c Netbook as it has decent nVidia ION graphics performance with HDMI out, 100GB more storage than the largest iPad, 11″ screen and great battery life. All for £240 (delivered).

dickydutch

admiralty charts are available for £15 each from Pisys marine. use them at work all the time.

warton
    Free Member

In a word, no. The open source programming tools you can get for the MAC OS are FAR superior to anything available on Windows OS. My macbook boots up in 30 seconds, My macbook has a multi gesture trackpad, which is one of the best things about it. My Macbook doesn’t crash. I can edit videos for free on my macbook. I don’t have to p*ss about with registry’s on my macbook, I don’t have to go through cr*ppy windows installers on my macbook.

so yeah, I’ll happily pay 30% more as it makes my day to day life so much easier.

Dougal
    Free Member

Compaq Mini 311c – 6 Cell Battery up to 6 Hours Life

And what about when it’s actually turned on?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

‘SOTP’

😆

That is the best thing I have seen all week.

woody74

Writing this on a Macbook Pro that I have had for 4 years and it is still running fast and with very few issues. I do loads of Photoshop processing and speed is never an issue.

Would you get that with a PC? I was very sceptical when I first got a Mac and they certainly aren’t perfect but to be fair they do last. Oh and if I wanted to sell this Macbook I would still get quite a few hundred pounds.

iPads are expensive but they work really well and more importantly unlike a netbook are always on. No need for waiting to boot, connect to the internet, explorer to open, etc, etc

Jakester
    Free Member

It’s because they’re not designed as marine mapping devices – they’re designed as lifestyle computing accessories.

Grow up.

chvck
    Free Member

The open source programming tools you can get for the MAC OS are FAR superior to anything available on Windows OS

I’m pretty dubious about that one

leffeboy

Why can’t Apple be less greedy

because at that price they are only just keeping up with demand. Awesome piece of pricing really, welcome to the marketplace

I’m also no great Apple fan but this is the first piece of their kit that I could really go for. Pricey but seems to just work in an intuitive, no faff sort of way (at least for the playing I’ve done so far)

runs off to find cheque book

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Doesn’t your garden have walls, Simon?

I haven’t got a garden 🙂

aracer
    Free Member

The MemoryMap marine charts are only £40, and has exactly the same content as the one paper chart I own – along with another 800 odd charts I didn’t already own the paper verisons of.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I’d have to get a decent netbook and Memorymap marine charts instead. This would save me a whopping £450, but end up with a far better specced bit of kit with vastly more storage, an SD card slot and which is vastly more flexible and compatible.

So it isn’t for you, move on, choose something else. Steve Jobs will cope, you will be happy, where is the problem?

grumm
    Free Member

The main attraction is the quality of the screen anyway, you won’t be getting anywhere near that on your netbook. Lots of photographers are using them for showing clients images etc on a very slick and professional looking way.

ooOOoo
    Free Member

But it’s so lo res!
    I would be tempted by a ‘retina display’ ipad though…next year I reckon

bigyinn
    Free Member

Elfinsafety – Member

‘SOTP’

That is the best thing I have seen all week.
    Im honoured, thank you! (no sarcasm meant or implied).

jimbobrighton
    Free Member

2/10 spongebob

Ok, this is meant for the iphone, but the sentiments the same….
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKIcaejkpD4&feature=player_embedded[/video]

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

if I was mad enough, i could go and buy dozens of these.

wow, that must be some paper round you’re on

goon
    Free Member

I’m also no great Apple fan but this is the first piece of their kit that I could really go for. Pricey but seems to just work in an intuitive, no faff sort of way

I’ve never owned an Apple product before. I was intrigued by the iPad as a replacement for my 5 year old laptop. I spent a while thinking about what I intended my laptop to be used for when I bought it, and what it actually gets used for. Could I achieve that on a reasonably priced iPad? (£500 for 32Gb WiFi version)

It turns out I thought I could, so took a deep breath and tried something different, and the iPad is one of the best computing purchases I have ever made. Superb.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Im honoured, thank you! (no sarcasm meant or implied).

No seriously it was brilliant. Proper made me laugh, that did. Far more entertaining than whatever they’re going on about on the rest of this thread. 🙂

trout
    Free Member

Plus one for what Goon says I did exactly the same .
    and like it lots.

might be even better when the V4 OS comes out .

will the thing work with a wireless printer .

miketually
    Free Member

I can edit videos for free on my macbook.

Your Macbook comes with bundled video editing software, but you have paid for it.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘iPad prices – WOW!’ is closed to new replies.