Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • iPad mini – usb devices
  • nsbikescore1
    Free Member

I’m thinking about getting an iPad mini but I’m unclear as to whether I would be able to plug in my garmin forerunner watch (which has a usb connection) and upload to strava. Does anyone know if you can get a cable to connect usb devices or will I have to buy a new Bluetooth watch

jambalaya
    Free Member

Yes there is a usb connector, whether it will work with your Garmin I don’t know. I had a connector for my old iPad1 which I used for uploading photos. The app you use on the iPad has to recognise the external device and allow file uploads

EDIT, I had the prior version of this its explicitly advertised as a camera adapter

link

GrahamS

Don’t know for sure but I would say very doubtful*.

iDevices are generally closed systems. They don’t allow you to just plug in any old USB device, as that gets into the hell of drivers, compatibility etc.

* (It is possible that Garmin have an iOS specific cable/software available)

nsbikescore1
    Free Member

Nice one, thanks for that. I’ve just watched a YouTube video which seems to show that most usb devices aren’t supported. Now I’m thinking if I get the cheaper iPad 2 I can get the Bluetooth watch!

pnik

Echo the unlikely comment, hence my preference for android on the other thread. I think pictures is pretty much all you can do with usb on ios.

stumpy01

I know you are asking for information about the iPad, but just for info I can plug my Edge 500 straight into my Android tablet (Edge 500) and upload from there using a usb OTG cable.

You just navigate to the files using a file manager.

I have heard that some devices don’t send enough juice to the usb port for it to function, but mine was fine straight off the bat…

reluctantwrinkly
    Free Member

Even Bluetooth is limited to things like keyboards on ios, file transfer is not possible I don’t think, check before you assume it’s possible. Android is much more accommodating but still difficult compared to a pc

nsbikescore1
    Free Member

Hmmm, I already have a Lenovo tablet but it really doesn’t get much use as I can’t get on with android even though I realise it is more flexible than iOS. I also have an older notebook which I use just for uploading my watch to strava. Would quite like just one device really but I can see that may not be possible. Thanks for the point about the Bluetooth reluctant wrinkly because I had assumed that any Bluetooth device could be compatible.

jambalaya
    Free Member

OP as per the other posters the issue will be whether the apps can see the Garmin. For security reasons Apple keep things very tightly controlled. My camera worked fine but that’s because the Photo app is enabled to see external devices. Your real solution is to connect the device to a computer.

nsbikescore1
    Free Member

Or go back to using strava on my iPhone I guess

Cougar

Host of reasons why it’s very unlikely to work. You’d be better off with an Android tablet which supports USB on-the-go (OTG) (not all do).

geoffj

Garmin connect mobile on an iPad mini works great with a range of Garmin Bluetooth devices here.
    Cables are soooooo last century daaahrling.
    (I just wish Garmin software was generally better 😐 )

jambalaya
    Free Member

OP I use endomondo and can see the results on the iPad via app or website but to do usefull things with the tracks I download into my computer. I think is an example of where the iPad is not a computer substitute.

GrahamS

Even Bluetooth is limited to things like keyboards on ios, file transfer is not possible I don’t think,

Bluetooth should be fine. I have a Garmin vivofit 2 that I sync with my iPhone over Bluetooth Smart (via Garmin Connect app).

nsbikescore1
    Free Member

That sounds more promising Geoff!

@grahamS – are you using the vivofit for cycling and with strava?

GrahamS

@grahamS – are you using the vivofit for cycling and with strava?

Nah. It’s a glorified pedometer. No GPS. Got it free from work so just been playing with it for the past week.

(For route tracking I just use my phone)

geoffj

To add a bit more detail, I have a Fenix 3 which I sync with my iPad, mrsj has a vivoactive which she syncs with her iPad and missj has a vivofit which she syncs with her hudl2 – all using Bluetooth and the Garmin mobile connect apps.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘iPad mini – usb devices’ is closed to new replies.