Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 82 total)
  • iOS7 beta
  • Milkie
    Free Member
    Jamie
    Free Member

Anyone got a working link for someone without a developer account?

Assuming one got a link to a *.ipsw, would Apple not block/poke in the eye any devices with unregistered UDIDs?

grum
    Free Member

Thanks folks. Jamie – just seen a link someone posted up there which explains you can get your UDID registered with a developer account for $5.

jam-bo

Assuming one got a link to a *.ipsw, would Apple not block/poke in the eye any devices with unregistered UDIDs?

not so far and apparently not since beta 2 was released.

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

downloaded installed taken off within 30mins !

What is the hype about ? I love apple products but I cannot see what’s so great about it its still the same just different styling!

mmmm android time perhaps….

Drac

mmmm android time perhaps….

Just the same but different styling.

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

exactly !

jonxmack
    Free Member

@mrlugz – sorry it took a while to reply! Settings > General > Accessibility > Reduce Motion. Turn it on!

Mr_C
    Free Member

Beta 4 now released – supposedly close to a release version.

I’ve had beta 3 on my Iphone 4 since it was released and apart from an occasional lockup which needs a hard reset to recover from, it runs very well. Hopefully the lockups will be fixed with this release.

mrmo
    Free Member

does beta4 have a working gps? had issues with both Strava and endomondo not recording rides with beta3

jam-bo

Beta4 here. Used strava tonight and it crashed as I finished a ride, seemed to recover itself ok and my ride was there when it restarted.

CountZero

Quick access to Airplane Mode and Do Not Disturb will be useful for me. Putting Orientation Lock there too makes sense (tho it is already pretty easy to get too).
    Likewise having the Torch and Calculator easily accessible is a good plan.

I know of hardly anyone who travels enough to use Airplane Mode, and I haven’t travelled by air for twenty-odd years. I just slide the silence switch. But then I’m not an international businessman, and I actually only know one personally who would use those facilities.
    What I really want is a phone with 128Gb of storage

Stream more music? A Spotify (or similar) account would work out a lot cheaper then paying whatever astronomical markup Apple put on an extra 64GB of flash.

BwaHahahahahahahahaha!
    Stream music? Spotify? You’re ‘avin’ a laugh, ain’t ya? With a 1Gb/month data allowance?
    I’d use that in a week. Use 3 and their unlimited data? Yeah, right, perhaps when 3 get decent network coverage that gives four bars of 3G signal anywhere I happen to be.
    A report published last week stated that 70% of Britain’s population still haven’t got 3G and 20% haven’t even got 2G, and you think streaming music is viable?
    Thank you, but I’ll continue to carry my music with me, in the full knowledge that I can actually listen to it when I want to, and not at the whim of the telecommunications industry, with their overpriced, hopelessly inadequate data allowances.
    If you can even access data.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Anyone on a 4S who thinks I shouldn’t download this, keen to give it a whirl.

Toasty

Stream music? Spotify? You’re ‘avin’ a laugh, ain’t ya? With a 1Gb/month data allowance?

Err, yeah.

Spotify Premium, which you need to listen via your mobile, lets you download playlists to your phone while you’re on Wifi. No data connection needed. Make loads of playlists, flag 10 or so to download locally, get bored of them, untick and go download something else.

Fandroid: “iFone is teh rubbish – it cant even do <list of features> that (some) Android fones can”

<Apple implements those features>

Fandroid: “iFone is teh rubbish – it just copies <list of features> from Android (and then makes them better)”

iArmy clone: Android is for nerdz! Look at all those complimicated menuz!

<Apple implements those features>

iArmy clone: They’re not the same! Apple made them betterer! These ones aren’t for nerdz!

GrahamS

I know of hardly anyone who travels enough to use Airplane Mode,

Sorry to hear that, but it’s handy at other times too. Like in cinemas or hospitals, or to eliminate interference when playing music, or when you don’t want your kids accidentally downloading stuff. 🙂

I just slide the silence switch.

But it still lights up and vibrates? “Do Not Disturb” means it won’t do that. I have mine set on a schedule so I never get disturbed overnight but it will be nice to have quick access for turning it on at other times.

you think streaming music is viable?

You’re not limited to streaming. You can download stuff on Spotify too. Handy way to swap albums in and out. And yes I think it is viable as I know a couple of people who do it already.

logical
    Free Member

Deezer will let you download tracks to your phone locally and play them too. They’re very small files too.

somouk
    Free Member

I know of hardly anyone who travels enough to use Airplane Mode

I know about 20 people, mostly our sales team and I use it a lot. If you ever travel in the US which is one of the biggest markets you’d understand the need for it.

A friend uses Spotify every day to and from work on the local metro with no issues, his Virgin contract gives him unlimited data and Virgin being based on EE the network has sufficient coverage and speed to cope. You just need to up your data allowance.

I really don’t see the need to have 128 Gb of music with you anyway, surely you could never listen to it all?

Drac

You’re all forgetting something here the iPhone isn’t designed for 10s of millions of users it designed for Countzero so he gets to call what’s in it.

grum
    Free Member

Streaming music is fine almost everywhere on the 3 network IME, though I understand it’s a bit crap in London. I can usually stream YouTube videos quite easily too.

Personally I think it partly defeats the point of a smartphone if you only have limited data allowances. I’m always downloading podcasts or large email attachments over 3G. That 70% stat – got a source for it? Sounds dubious.

And my unlimited data contract is about £12.50 a month BTW. 🙂

The beta works fine on a 4S – some of the whizzy graphics are a teeny bit slow, but this seems improved on the latest beta.

MrNutt
    Free Member

is there any way of removing the awful x4 bottom icons blurred background? for the life of me I can’t think why thats been done, its a step backwards in legibility and looks god awful.

grum
    Free Member

I’m with you there MrNutt. I doubt it’s possible to change without jail breaking though (when that becomes possible for this OS).

jam-bo

is there any way of removing the awful x4 bottom icons blurred background?

submit feedback through the developer network.

you are a paid up developer arent you?

MSP

I don’t see what the problem is with wanting your music collection on your phone is? So that you can choose what you want when you want it, using spotify and pr-downloading playlists is no different or better than manually managing music through itunes, I don’t want to do either.

Although my music collection is only 20gb anyway, so it’s not a problem for me, If it was much bigger I would want it all on my iphone.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Does anyone know that if you were to get the Beta 4 non-UDID version on your device, when the pukka version comes out later this year will it update as normal or will Apple spot the people who have done this and catch them at that point? Or is this just a ploy by Apple to get the software out to as many people as possible to test it before general release rather than limiting it to the usual UDID registered people?

Mr_C
    Free Member

I put beta 3 on my Iphone 4 from a non-official source and when Beta 4 was released I just went into the settings on my Iphone where it told me an update was available. I pressed the update button and it did the rest on it’s own with no problems, so I would think that when the official release happens it will be just the same.

mrmo
    Free Member

Same question as earlier, now we have beta 5 do any of the GPS tracking apps work?

jam-bo

strava and wahoo worked ok in beta4. just updating to beta5 so hoping they arent broken…

CountZero

Streaming music is fine almost everywhere on the 3 network IME, though I understand it’s a bit crap in London. I can usually stream YouTube videos quite easily too.

Not anywhere around north Wiltshire, apart from the actual centre of Chippenham, sadly. I deliberately chose 3 because of the unlimited data, when I had my old phone unlocked, and the coverage is really shonky, even around the busy business park I work on. It drops signal with monotonous regularity. Virgin isn’t much better, and I won’t go back to Orange/EE.
    Thing is, I’ve got stacks of ripped music in my computer, and I have 6Music on all day, Streaming just doesnt make sense, when I’ve got music all to hand, and I don’t personally know anyone who does stream music; maybe because all my friends and aquaintances buy music, to own it, rather than rent it.

But it still lights up and vibrates? “Do Not Disturb” means it won’t do that. I have mine set on a schedule so I never get disturbed overnight but it will be nice to have quick access for turning it on at other times.

I guess because I’m not a business person, stuff like that is pointless, and if your phone is in a pocket, then no-one sees the screen light, or feels the vibration… 😯
    unlike the sad muppets who can’t put their bloody phones away in the cinema. 😡
    I haven’t been on a plane since 1995, and I last went to America in 1993…
    It’s not because it’s just because it’s me, I just know of no other person in my larger circle of friends who sees the point of streaming, or who even have the means to use the facility.
    I guess being in a rural area, with notoriously iffy network coverage, despite it being M4 corridor, streaming media just has no real interest for most people.

allthegear
    Free Member

Whereas living in Norfolk I use my iPhone on 3 all the time for streaming in the car (iPlayer Radio) and tethering to my laptop when working in the summer house at bottom of garden. I apparently use 5 or 6 GB a month…

Rachel

njee20
    Free Member

It’s not because it’s just because it’s me, I just know of no other person in my larger circle of friends who sees the point of streaming, or who even have the means to use the facility.

No one in your “larger circle” of friends has a computer? And yet you’re here, writing this. Suggests that you at least have the means to use streaming facilities. I’m struggling with that.

I’d also suggest that you’re relatively unusual in being the ‘luddite with a smart phone’, I don’t really get why you’re bothered by the airplane/DND modes, they do things the silent switch doesn’t. You don’t have to use them, personally I do, not constantly, but I’d be inconvenienced if they took them off.

davieg
    Free Member

Anyone know how usable Three’s unlimited data coverage is in Glasgow area? For streaming / net radio 6 Music, Facetime etc Or are these things still best left using with a solid wifi connection?

I am at the end of my contract with O2 and thinking of jumping ship to Three. I am aware however that not all unlimited data tariffs mean unlimited data, so may have more traction pushing O2 for more but usable data and getting a better deal.

deviant
    Free Member

Davieg, 3’s unlimited data is pretty much unlimited…. I think when I first jumped ship from O2 it was 80Gb in the small print but now it is unlimited I believe and they allow tethering of laptops, tablets etc etc…

Jamie
    Free Member

Anything brokener in beta 5?

jam-bo

Bit of trouble pairing with my hrm but worked in the end. Certainly seems to be getting more stable.

Jamie
    Free Member

Certainly seems to be getting more stable.

Good to hear. I have been holding off as it will be going on an iPhone 4, and I am aware previous builds ran like shite on it.

Jamie
    Free Member

Installed Beta 5 this morning on my iPhone 4. Obviously I don’t get Airdrop/Parallax etc, but the phone actually runs quicker than it did on 6.1 with a JB.

It’s good to see that iOS has finally incorporated/stole/assimilated most of the functionality that I had to previously achieve via a jailbreak. Well, apart from not having the settings in control centre.

duntstick
    Free Member

So, ……………..any reason, at all, worth the change?

Jamie
    Free Member

Depends what you’re after, and what device you’re on.

…oh, and whether you have your UDID registered as a dev. As they started checking from beta 4 onwards.

jam-bo

As they started checking from beta 4 onwards.

on fresh installs?

as I’ve been updating OTA from beta 3 and no checks yet.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 82 total)

The topic ‘iOS7 beta’ is closed to new replies.