How far/long from your house

Home Forum Bike Forum How far/long from your house

Viewing 45 posts - 1 through 45 (of 54 total)
  • How far/long from your house
  • Premier Icon scotroutes
    Subscriber

I can see the end of one trail from my front door and be there in under a minute. That trail connects to a 100+ mile network of trails in the hills beside me.

banks

about 800 yards. Can go via the canal and drop off all the locks but usually full of dogshit

Bridle way from garden 😉

Premier Icon chakaping
    Subscriber

About 20 seconds to a bridleway leading to a scattering of trails around some woods and an old golf course.

I could probably freewheel down my road and not have to turn a pedal on tarmac, if I knew the coast was clear on the main road at the bottom.

bol

Subject to contract, just across the road. 😀

Mind you, given that its Norfolk, that’s not saying a great deal.

AlasdairMc

Quarter mile, which also signals the start/end of a completely offroad commute.

trail_rat

can be in the woods in about 5 minutes in any direction – or a quarry with singletrack round it in about 30 seconds.

Premier Icon psling
    Subscriber

Same as futon, literally straight from the door onto trails people travel to ride from all over #smugb’stard 8)

jedimaster

7 miles for me go anywhere that’s fun to ride, takes about 20mins to get there but I treat it as a warm up :p

Premier Icon zippykona
    Subscriber

Less than a minute for me. It makes me feel really sorry for the people I see loading their bikes on the train at Clapham junction.

_tom_

5 mile ride on bmx to the nearest 2 skateparks, we just got a new concrete one in Kettering which looks awesome. No good trails near me at all. 35 mile drive to the nearest good mtb stuff (woburn).

A mile or two to a disused railway cindertrack trail, which is handy to get the kids out on for a few hours, and i’m sure if I wanted some off road cross country across fields, then a matter of minutes, but for some decent hills i’m about 20 mins drive away, and 40 mins drive to Cannock, the Peak District and Derbyshire, and about an hours drive to Llandegla. So i’m pretty lucky really. Some really great road riding where I am too.

Duggan

About an hours ride to get to anything that could be described as ‘mountain biking’ though it can be done almost all off road via the canals and other assorted bits.

Very well connected via the train though so usually get train there and ride back.

300 miles give or take… It sucks 🙁 That does get me to the front range of The Rockies though 🙄

Premier Icon mike399
    Subscriber

My only gripe is that I have to open the garden gate before I can hit the trails 😆

Premier Icon mikewsmith
    Subscriber

200m to singletrack, last house was 2km, before that 1.5 at some point I don’t fin care, is this another I never drive to ride chip on shoulder threads?

spuddle

About 3 mins to a country park, or 15 mins on the train to Delamere

Premier Icon andytherocketeer
    Subscriber

11 minutes to the forest

Premier Icon Rusty Mac
    Subscriber

t_r gonna be looking for you to show me those trail in the near future. One of the big + points of moving will be riding from the door of the new house.

Premier Icon trout
    Subscriber

Well I can be on a trail 5 minutes before I set off

Haze

Small ‘country park’ less than a minute from my door, leads onto a pretty good network of paths and bridle ways etc.

Euro

do you have to cycle to get to something decent to ride?

My closest loop is mainly flat but fun and after 10 minutes of curbs, steps and assorted urban obstacles, i’m there. A hilly forest with xc/mild dh around 4 miles away with a quarry beside it. It’s uphill all the way and i’ve not cycled it in years, but once i’ve finished a bit of work in there i’ll start again. Cycling with spades isn’t fun 😛 And that’s about it. The really good stuff is drive only (for me anyway) and ranges from 15-80 miles away.

What about you? Anyone live on top of a mountain and opens the door and just goes? I’d be jealous of that now.

Premier Icon psling
    Subscriber

For those of you living next to the trails, was that one of the deciding factors in choosing where to live?

Premier Icon Bregante
    Subscriber

I literally have to wheel my bike to the end of my drive, to where my car is parked. 😐

Premier Icon Rusty Mac
    Subscriber

For me i wouldn’t exactly say it was one of the primary deciding factors, not as high as say size of the house and garden, the quality of schools nearby and travel to/from work but when looking at possible locations it was in the back of my head.

kendo954

10 minute pedal for me

trail_rat

youll have a new ALL offroad commute too rusty – i mind last year you complained it wasnt worth gettign the bike out for your old one 😉

samuri

Can be offroad within 20 metres, can be offroad and then spend all day offroad with 100m. I can get to the Pennines completely offroad from that one 😉

New house, I can roll from my back garden to a footpath but its just a short loop. I’d have to ride the half mile to the canal to get anywhere good.

About two minutes to a bridleway, another five minutes to the good singletrack or 15 minutes to the closest mini-DH runs. Not bad for a city in the south east! 🙂

5 miles of bridleway to Swinley. From there you can do hundreds of miles of alternating bridleways and singletrack in the woods, you can pretty much go offroad to the Surrey Hills!

rickt

40 yards to a public footpath.. :-). Or 200 meters to the nearest trail

20 miles. 🙁

Premier Icon Scapegoat
    Subscriber

This is the view from my kitchen window. About 100 metres to the nearest bridleway, and I can weave in a 5 mile descent to town, about 75% off road, or as we’re on a watershed ridge, a 4 or 5 mile descent into Calderdale about 90% off road. 😀

20 mins ride to cannock chase for me

Premier Icon mtbmaff
    Subscriber

I live the width of the road away from the NW Alps (Lickey Hills), although to be honest that’s from the end of my driveway.
    It is very nice to just roll out of the garage and down the drive and straight onto the trails. 😀
    I’m ashamed to say that I don’t ride there every day even though its so close.
    The only downside is that I live at the top of the hill and every ride ends going uphill.
    We were fortunate to be able to build our house on my In-laws back garden, as we would never be able to afford to live up here realistically.

Premier Icon scotroutes
    Subscriber

psling wrote:

For those of you living next to the trails, was that one of the deciding factors in choosing where to live?

Yes, definitely a factor, as it is in deciding where we’ll be moving to next. Getting back home muddy and wet means wheeling the bike into the garage and stripping off in the attached utility room before even entering the house. That’s much better than having to get into clean/dry clothing in a remote car park somewhere before driving home. It’s also more environmentally friendly than driving to ride (though I still do that for a variety of riding).

carlosg

150 yards to the local wood that also contains a large disused sandstone quarry, linking the paths in there I can squeeze a 3-4 mile short blast together or take my dh bike into the quarry to do drops .Apparently the guy who designed the Fort William dh (Phil Saxena) built a run in there when he was at university in Leeds but I cant find anything worth riding as a run in it.

boxfish

4 miles to Leigh Woods!

Euro

grumpypants – Member

… at some point I don’t fin care, is this another I never drive to ride chip on shoulder threads?

It’s not, no. Sorry.

The only downside is that I live at the top of the hill and every ride ends going uphill.

In my ideal world i’d have a house at the top and bottom 😀

Premier Icon Sandwich
    Subscriber

2 Minutes to the rec, then after another 3 minutes 300m of road gets me onto the trail network alongside the Orwell.

Premier Icon soundninjauk
    Subscriber

I hate all of you.

20 minute ride to Richmond Station, 40 minute train journey to Martins Heron, 10 minute ride to Swinley Forest.

Damn you London.

Premier Icon jezketley
    Subscriber

I can be off road in less than a minute, but takes about 10 minutes to get to some really good stuff. The Chilterns are riddled with good riding (when its not sloppy). If I could tweak where I lived at all, it would somewhere at the foot of a good descent, not, as at present, the top.

Premier Icon mintimperial
    Subscriber

Nearest bit of singletrack is 30 seconds from the door. Peak District boundary and the start of a huge network of Pennine paths and BWs is five minutes ride up the hill. I didn’t choose to live here for the riding exactly, but the fact that the riding is good is what got me back into bikes again after a few years away. If I moved house again (no chance), quality of local trails would be very near the top of the list of qualifiers.

busydog

About 200 yards and I am into the Sandia mountain range and 40 miles or so of trails–unfortunately, at the moment, except for the lower foothills section, it’s all closed off now due to extreme fire danger (3 major fires–several smaller burning in the state—almost 100 sq. miles burned)

bartimaeus

It’s 5.5km from my door to Adsdean for the start of Kingley Vale. About a third of the way there is on bridleway, so a decent warm-up rather than a chore. On the way back the last section of bridleway come out opposite the pub…

Viewing 45 posts - 1 through 45 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘How far/long from your house’ is closed to new replies.