Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • iOS Printing – AirPrint???
  • rkk01
    Free Member

Another Apple frustration?

How can I print to my wireless printer. Only the very latest generation of HP printers seem to support AirPrint 😡

I see quite a few productivity apps that claim to achieve this – but as usual with App Store, separating the good from the chaff is hit and miss…

… Any STW thoughts on good iPad / iPhone wifi print apps?

GrahamS

Not tried it myself, but I believe a common solution is to install software on your PC/Mac that makes the attached printer visible to AirPrint. Though obviously that means you have to turn on the PC/Mac to print something from your iPad/iPhone which sort of defeats the object.

sharkbait
    Free Member

^ this (I’m afraid).
    Hopefully more printers will be airprint eneabled in the future.

trail_rat
    Free Member

what i can tell you is that it works brilliantly with those HP printers – my parents got of them printers so i tried it out

rkk01
    Free Member

Unfortunately we have a Photosmart c309g – last year’s model???. The c310 is listed as AirPrint compatible.

Tried the latest drivers / firmware, but not confident its going to get a compatibility fix…

No one tried the various wifi print apps? Seems mad that a printer thats clearly visible on the network cant be used by the iOS devices

sharkbait
    Free Member

Just remembered seeing a hardware box that you plugged the printer into that made it airprint compatible, can’t remember the name though and if I remember correctly it was quite pricey.

GrahamS

Seems mad that a printer thats clearly visible on the network cant be used by the iOS devices

Drivers innit?

Other machines (i.e. PCs and Macs) on your network can print to that printer because they have thousands of different printer drivers written specifically for them to do just that.

AirPrint attempts (badly) to introduce a standard that allows devices to print to a printer without needing a specific driver. It’s a nice idea in theory – just not too popular yet.

Gary_M
    Free Member

How can I print to my wireless printer. Only the very latest generation of HP printers seem to support AirPrint

Mmm I bought my HP CN503B Photosmart Premium e-All-in-One Printer in January 2011 and I don’t have any issues printing from my iOS devices when connected to my wireless network.

trail_rat
    Free Member

my parents bought which ever it is they have from makro in 2010 – as they got it just before i got an iphone. so i wouldnt say latest gen really just the ones in the range slightly above the model you have.

speed12
    Free Member

You can use an Airport Express to allow Wifi printing to any printer. OK, it will add another £50ish on, but it does mean if you currently have a printer you can make use of AirPrint without having to buy a new one. Can stream audio to it as well.

CountZero

Just a thought, if you have or can get an Epson printer, they have a free app that allows direct wifi printing from the iOS devise of your choice.

Marmoset
    Free Member

Cheers for that count zero, was wondering how I could print from my iPad, luckily I have the right printer!

woffle
    Free Member

Bought a cheap and cheerful Canon for about £35 plugged it in and after two mins configuration via the MacBook can print from iPads (tried safari and pages so far). No software needed on the iPads, installed the canon software on the laptop so I could point the printer to the wireless network…

mulacs

@woffle – which model is this? Sounds perfect.

leffeboy

You can use an Airport Express to allow Wifi printing to any printer. OK, it will add another £50ish on, but it does mean if you currently have a printer you can make use of AirPrint without having to buy a new one.

Nope. afaik that only allows you to print from a computer with the appropriate printer drivers – not to use AirPrint (or at least it doesn’t work in my house)

For Canon printers with AirPrint the list is here I think
    http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/standard_display/AirPrint

woffle
    Free Member

It’s the Pixma MG3150 – think it was Rymans or similar I got it from (will try and dig the receipt out), it’s £40 odd on amazon. One of their all in one scanner and printers, been ok thus far…

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘iOS Printing – AirPrint???’ is closed to new replies.