Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • IoM TT – Anyone else planning a trip?
  • rkk01
    Free Member

Haven’t been for a few years, but family excited about going this year 😀

Looks like camping to keep the costs down, especially after paying for the ferry!!!

sbodle
    Free Member

Also not been in quite a few years due to not having a bike. Having just got another wouldnt mind going,but not this year. Is it still ‘Steampacket’ that do the ferry? If so it was expensive 15 years ago for quite a shoddy service…

Dolcered

Enjoyed it last year, went on the overnight ferry. Good idea on the way over, not so on the way, when we had Glasgow to get to. Chilly ride up the road. Have fun 🙂

jota180
    Free Member

I have a voucher from the ferry company [and a provisional booking] for a gratis round trip after they screwed up an earlier booking – so was thinking about it

I wouldn’t care but it was a company trip that they got wrong 😀

Watty

Yep, and I’ve also got grandstand seats for the Senior 😀

MrsPoddy
    Free Member

we are going this year and really looking forward to it. I know what you mean about the ferry costs last 2 times we have had 2 bikes, 2 riders this time 1 bike with both riding. We are camping at the football ground at Laxey. They have an on-site bar, they also provided catering if anyone wanted and a great Italian and launderette were walking distance. There were a few things going on in Laxey when we went about 4 years ago. We stayed at Glen Dhoo campsite near Douglas the first time we went 10 years ago but were not impressed with it last time – mainly because they had only just cut the 4 foot grass and left it lying on the floor so grass got everywhere, despite the fact we were there for 2 weeks we were stuck in the corner on a slope and the 50p for the showers on top of an already exorbitant fee. I think MrPP is looking forward to the TT Teas at Dalby as one of the highlights (after the racing of course!)

rhyswilliams3
    Free Member

Watty you jammy sod! rather jealous!

I’m going over for most of race week with a couple of lads from work , going on as foot passengers and taking the pushbikes for transport!. I’m a first timer so rediculously excited!!

Anyone any advice? Hopefully be staying closeish to Douglas but no campsites booked yet so it can all change

grim168
    Free Member

We usually go the week before to ride the course. All the signs and bales are out so it feels quite special but is fairly quiet and a bit cheaper.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I think MrPP is looking forward to the TT Teas at Dalby as one of the highlights (after the racing of course!)

Racing? there’s RACING? I don’t remember that….

Lovely tea and cake though!

jota180
    Free Member

If I was going over with a pushbike, Ramsey would be my vantage point of choice

Plenty of access to and from it from around Glenduff round to the Gooseneck and all points in between
    If the weather’s good you may want to try heading up to the bungalow but I don’t think there’s an easy way out if the weather gets shitty

Oh and for 1st timers get out early for a race or practice and get yourself to the bottom of Bray hill, you seriously will not believe it

cupra
    Free Member

I’ll be there, flying over and have got hire bicycle and motorbike lined up (long story), cannae wait.

monkeyfiend
    Free Member

It’s been a few years since I was last there, and I’ve often thought of a lads weekend over there one year.

Looking at the prices of the ferry, I’d fly from the local airport, it’s a little more expensive but it cuts out travelling problems, although I’m not sure if I could get my mtb on as luggage?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Oh and for 1st timers get out early for a race or practice and get yourself to the bottom of Bray hill, you seriously will not believe it

Seconded!

I thought Bray Hill (being the legend that it is) was big and grand and in the middle of nowhere.
    But no.
    180+ mph down a hill through a housing estate.
    Which is what amazes me even more!

I remeber the late Dave Jeffries being quoted as saying that he glanced at the speedo on his proddy GSXR reading 186mph (top speed if it was still restriced) down Bray Hill.

Yes. He looked at the speedo. IN-SANE!

Watty

Ooh, after reading this I’m getting all excited. I’ve just paid the (rather HUGE) balance of both ferry (one bike, two people) and nice sea-front hotel in Douglas, but hey ho you only live once!
    The Island has a certain magic to it doesn’t it and until you actually see those nutters flat out down Bray Hill you wouldn’t believe it.

MrsPoddy
    Free Member

I can never remember any of the names of the areas but we had a great time watching at the church I think it was Crosby (the ladies were selling cakes and sandwiches) and at the pub opposite they moved the red tape back a bit as the riders were taking a different line. Not that a bit of red tape would have saved you. We also went down the the road from Ballaugh bridge and sat in the gate opening / layby MrPP had many action shots with wheelies along that road. Sat in someones garden at Creg Ny Baa. The first year we went sightseeing, we will probably go back to the Manx Museum in Douglas and the Manannan museum in Peel and definetly the banger racing just outside of Douglas. We have to try and remember the wind up radio and OS map this time – only 2 months away!
    Singletons – always worth remembering that the population in the IOM always peaks 9 months after the TT.

beanie
    Free Member

I am going over for race week saying at the st johns camp site in my vw camper, can’t wait. Taking over my ktm enduro bike and my 456 for some off road on road fun. It’s my first time but my mates I am going with have been going for 10 year so they can show me round. :mrgreen:

boltonjon

There is some cracking MTB routes over there – but i’d be scared sh*tless to be on the road on my pushbike during TT week 🙄

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

I’m going as a foot passenger with pushbike for a couple of days during practice week £38 return,bargain!
    Depending on the weather I might be going back for Mondays races,(living in West Lancs it’s a 30 min train journey to the Pier head) it’s something like £89 then.
    One of my mates has raced in a dozen or so TT’s & another got killed racing there, yet I’ve avoided the TT until this year.I think watching TT closer to the edge has finally made me visit the place.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Just ride 2 abreast on your pushbike, you’ll be fine. It’s your right as a road user!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I can never remember any of the names of the areas but we had a great time watching at the church I think it was Crosby

Sulby Straight.
    Bikes just shy of 200mph, sitting on a low church wall eating sandwiches made my lovely old ladies in the church hall. Wonderful.

We have to try and remember the wind up radio and OS map this time

Is it on ‘The List’?

🙂

boltonjon

GlitterGary – Member
    Just ride 2 abreast on your pushbike, you’ll be fine. It’s your right as a road user!

I grew up over there – riding two abreast would just be double suicide

Trust me – I’ve seen countless bodies pulled out of hedges, numerous cars which have been destroyed by bikes and have been told about a horse being ‘separated’ after it was spooked and jumped out of a field into the path of a bike

Having a right to ride on the road means sod all when a bike comes round the corner at 130mph

Don’t get me wrong – TT week is magical – but saviour the amazing mountain biking tracks to the other 50 weeks of the year

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

Boltonjon,after some of the tales I’ve heard, I’d be wary of going near the “track” on my motorbike never mind the pushbike.A few of my mates have been over for TT week on pushbikes & enjoyed it,unlike some who’ve took the motorbikes over..

hora
    Free Member

I’d like to go over for the day on the ferry as a footpassenger with hora junior- is it possible?

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

Hora Just go to the I.O.M steam packet website & check the sailings

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Hora, It’s a long crossing (2hrs+) and the Irish Sea is notoriously choppy…..

Just FYI, like…!

hora
    Free Member

PP, you do realise that I used to be a notorious Pirate don’t you.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Just found my TT pics from 2002

Sulby Straight, as mentioned above. That’s 190-200mph that bike is doing

DSCF0296 by PeterPoddy, on Flickr

I could have literally tapped the top of their lids (Yes that’s me)

DSCF0305 by PeterPoddy, on Flickr

There’s a story behid this next one.
    We’d booked to got to the IoM for the whole 2 weeks. We arrived late at night and got lost on the way to the campsite. We set up the tent in the dark and didn’t get to sleep until at least 1am.
    Now, we knew it was practice the next day and we knew we were near-ish to the circuit, but that was it. We didn’t know the details. I remember having an odd ‘dream’ about motorcycles that eventually woke me up… to the sound of motorcycles. Mrs PP woke up too, asking what the noise was.
    So we stumbled bleary-eyed out of the tent and staggered up to the road. Which was closed and had bikes flying by on it, about 100 yards from where we’d been sleeping. It was early AM, 7-ish IIRC.
    I can remember sitting slack jawed in amazement as the bikes fired out of a fast corner (Hilberry I think) and up the hill towards us. I’ll never, ever forget it.

DSCF0096 by PeterPoddy, on Flickr

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Sorry
    2007 pics now! 🙂

Sitting in someones front garden (£2 entry fee, donated to charity) just up the road from Ramsey

IoM TT 2007 164 by PeterPoddy, on Flickr

Yomped through some fields and stuck out heads through a gate to see this

IoM TT 2007 306 by PeterPoddy, on Flickr
    (There’s some videos in the pic set on Flickr, but they won’t display on here)

Camping at Laxey fottball club. Ace camp site. Good bar on site, laundrette, pub, Italian resteraunt, shop all close by.

IoM TT 2007 012 by PeterPoddy, on Flickr

Me on the start line of the drag strip at the Ramsey Sprint (Note serious look in my eyes!)

IoM TT 2007 118 by PeterPoddy, on Flickr

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

Hora,I knew I’d seen something about TT day trips;
    http://www.iomtt.com/TT-2012/2012-TT-Day-Trips.aspx

Crag
    Free Member

I use to ply my footballing trade at that there Laxey Campsite – good times.

Its a great island and a great event. As others have said, stay well clear of the island on a pushbike during the TT fortnight. You take your life into your own hands driving round in a car, I can’t imagine a push iron being a good idea.

rkk01
    Free Member

Blimey – no responses last time I looked at this!!!

We plan to camp at Ballaugh Glen. probably watch some of the practice sessions at Ballaugh Bridge, but plan to head up to the Bungalow for the Senior.

A few photies from 2007 😀

Gary Johnson (IIRC) during his debut year? Best air off Ballaugh Bridge – cool as a cucumber with a thumbs up for the crowd

Guy Martin getting the power down after the jump

Ian Lougher (I think) with some impressive air off the bridge

rkk01
    Free Member

Some advice from the photographers would be appreciated…

Normally struggle to get “close enough” to the riders (ie in the image). Use a stanard out of the box zoom.

Is it worth the outlay for a 70-200 type zoom. been tempted to get one since my first TT trip.

Probaly my fave TT photo – love the bike, and impressively cranked over

MV Augusta at Quarterbridge

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘IoM TT – Anyone else planning a trip?’ is closed to new replies.