Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Iodine Wheels – How long to destroy?
  • flamejob
    Free Member

So… my mate at the LBS sold me a pair of NOS Crank Brothers Iodine AM wheels at a price that was very very hard to refuse.

I’m putting them on my SOCOM and riding them at the bike park. Bearing in mind that I am pretty god damn smooth and weigh nothing, how long do you reckon they will last?

*waits for the hail of abuse

mashiehood
    Free Member

were they free?

h4muf
    Free Member

My riding buddy has a set on his Covert,2 years on and still run as new apart from routine bearing changes.
    Hes a proper animal on it too!!

chrisdiesel
    Free Member

Ive had 2 sets liked them no issues had them trued a few times but over all great old distributor 2 pure where amazing fantastic customer service.

deadkenny
    Free Member

They cope with Cwmcarn DH, Stiniog, BPW, Morzine for me without destroying themselves. Still going strong since 2011. I’m just about 11st though and I’m not into heavy slamming the bike (except when crashing).

Issues though…

If they’re a very early model there’s a dodgy freehub that can fall apart. Warranty replaceable with a better one.

That said, it’s an alloy freehub and steel cassette spiders will eat it. That’s the same with any brand with alloy freehubs (except those with the steel inserts).

SRAM 10 speed cassettes interfered with the hub flanges on mine unless I use plenty of spacers. This could be partly why I then ended up with the freehub lockring thread shredding, as there was little thread engagement, was using a steel lockring and alloy threads. Though 2 Pure replaced the freehub under warranty no problem.

Since then, XT cassettes. I don’t like the shifting on them, or the price, but they are compatible with the hubs.

Bearings need doing every year. At least cleaning and regreasing anyway. Fairly easy though. Similar to Hope.

Should note that mine are an older model, Iodine 1 or 2, not sure.

All really issues with the freehub, and mostly down to being alloy and a compatibility issue. The wheels themselves are tough. Never had a hint of a spoke going and barely go out of true. Great for tubeless, even with non tubeless tyres (Maxxis at least). Only concern with the spokes is they are proprietary.

p.s. 2 Pure are no longer the distributor. They’ve generally been pretty good. Extra UK have taken over. No idea what they’re like.

I still like the Iodines. They are really nice bling and are tough once you’ve dealt with any hub issues (and you may not have any). They’re not so crazy price either these days given the price of other brands now.

flamejob
    Free Member

Ta for that Kenny… they were in the “can’t refuse a new pair” category of cash, so on my DH bike they go!
    I was considering the options and weigh 9.5st so AM wheels should be fine.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Iodine Wheels – How long to destroy?’ is closed to new replies.