• This topic has 26 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by STATO.
Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Invisiframe or Helitape?
  • northerntom
    Free Member

Getting a new bike soon, which is a new model that invsiframe won’t have the kit for yet.Having seen a few bikes with invsiframe kits on, can’t say I’m overly impressed, there still seems to be a lot of gaps, and some parts such as cranks, forks etc don’t get the same treatment.

I’m thinking I could do a better, and considerably cheaper job with helitape. What’s everyone’s experience? I have used it before, and it worked very well, but I didn’t spend enough time doing it properly to be fair. Hairdryer was the method I used, does anyone have any other methods? Also, good recommendations for helitape, ebay classic or elsewhere, think I sued biketart last time.

fasthaggis

Just ordered some One23 tape from Tredz

STATO
    Free Member

Ive yet to find somewhere that sells the same quality stuff that Invisiframe uses. Ive been through most that people suggest (inc biketart) and the results have been poor in comparison, its also very difficult to cut the stuff well without using the template process.

Invisframe can do a set for your frame but it needs to be sent to them so the postage cost x2 adds to the total cost. They do fork and crank kits if you wanted them.

I have invisiframe on all my good bikes now, its just so tough, easy to fit and stays looking good. Yes there can be some gaps with the frame kits but in places where you wouldn’t typically get damage. Their generic hardtail/road kits are great if your frame is a fairly normal shape.

fasthaggis

How much are the hardtail kits STATO? Edit>> just googled, £50<<edit
    For £15 I thought I would just diy it.

northerntom
    Free Member

Ive yet to find somewhere that sells the same quality stuff that Invisiframe uses. Ive been through most that people suggest (inc biketart) and the results have been poor in comparison, its also very difficult to cut the stuff well without using the template process.

Invisframe can do a set for your frame but it needs to be sent to them so the postage cost x2 adds to the total cost. They do fork and crank kits if you wanted them

I do like the ease of them, but haven’t found the quality to be better than helitape I have purchased myself. I know they will measure up but I’m not paying for postage of frame x2, and the cost of the kit, so they can then go and sell to others. The way I see it with that process is I’ve essentially paid for their sales.

Think I’ll go the helitape route and just take my time with a beer and some good tunes.

Any recommendations on helitapes would be most welcome.

Alex

I had Cotic ship my FlareMax to Lee @ invisiframe. He’s a top bloke who made me a kit up and fitted it at very short notice. It’s already taken a beating and I’m glad to have gone with Invisitape over Helitape which always feels like a chore to fit. Same on my Aeris which really has done the rounds with rocks, crashes, lots of potential van rash etc and again it’s stood up very well.

As for cranks.. I like them with a bit of ‘shoe patina’.

mindmap3
    Free Member

Another vote for Invisiframe here too – Lee is a top bloke and I think his product looks ace. I’ve also found that you don’t seem to get the brown edges like you do with helitape. Lasts well too in my experience.

hainman
    Free Member

Glad i came across this,Ive just bought a Bird Aeris and was deliberating on what to cover it with,Think i’ll just get the kit and fit that,my old bike is taken a a beating due to not taping at the beginning

chakaping
    Free Member

you don’t seem to get the brown edges like you do with helitape

That’s just what I was gonna say.

I’ve had it done twice and both times I’ve flinched at the cost before, but considered it excellent value after.

Only got it on one of five bikes though. I’m not **** made of money!

andylc
    Free Member

Invisiframe uses 3M Ventureshield, which is thinner and much better to fit / more durable than helitape. It is possible to get large sheets of it via eBay or Amazon but for some reason it is not always available. If you are very patient you can make your own version, covering more of the frame than the kits, but it takes a long time (but is cheaper than the Invisiframe option). I did this, not because of the cost but because my frame wasn’t on his list and I didn’t feel like taking the bike apart and sending him my frame.

chakaping
    Free Member

I didn’t feel like taking the bike apart and sending him my frame.

He can design and fit it on a fully assembled bike, FWIW.

🙂

mark90
    Free Member

Invisiframe uses 3M Ventureshield

150 or 300 micron?

orangeboy
    Free Member

Ive fitted a fair few invisiframe kits and they do look nice and tidy fitted , yes you do get gaps left in places but these can be filled in yourself if you think you need to.

Fitting just needs a bit of time and attention to detail

For me ive yet to get the same tidy finnish when making my own templates up

Alex

Lee did mine as a full build. And yeah the brown thing… hate that look on hili-tape. Also you can just buy any replacement bits you need, not the whole set.

STATO
    Free Member

Also you can just buy any replacement bits you need, not the whole set.

Good to know, hadn’t realised he did that. Not that ive needed it yet mind.

fivespot
    Free Member

Invisiframe uses 3M Ventureshield
    150 or 300 micron?

150 micron supplied by Demon Tweeks from their eBay site, 100mm x 1m is about £11.50. You could probably do one bike in the imporatant areas for that. Buy 2 meters and you should have enough to protect every nook and cranny on any bike 🙂

mark90
    Free Member

Thanks. Yes it was Demon Tweeks where I (google) found it.

mark90
    Free Member

Just ordered some One23 tape

I made that mistake too. Very thin and no stretch/give, almost like sellotape.

paulneenan76
    Free Member

Lee @ Invisiframe will sort you out. I did certain bits of my frame, plus cranks and forks – after a bespoke decal change on the Pikes – and the quality is better than anything I’d used before.

oldfart

Anyone got a link ? Can’t find it on Demon Tweeks ?

northerntom
    Free Member

thanks all, if anyone can send a link to the 3m venturesheild sheet that would be great, had a look online, can’t seem to find any UK sellers.

bueller
    Free Member

Invisiframe also sell the blank sheets in various sizes.

http://www.invisiframe.co.uk/BLANK-SHEETS-DOTS/BLANK-SHEET

mark90
    Free Member
    nwmlarge
    Free Member

Nice one Mark90!

weeksy

Electrical tape. You may think people care that you have clear tape, you may even care yourself about clear tape…

But in reality… it doesn’t matter.

My whyte has plenty of black insulation tape… works like a dream

jolmes
    Free Member

Shack Wrap in Bury I think, pretty good and a fast turn around, got some excellent examples on their facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/shack.wrap/?fref=ts

STATO
    Free Member

4″ wide x 1m.

So
    1 to do the downtube.
    1 for toptube, might have enough left to do the half the seat tube.
    1 for seat and chain stays.
    1 for headtube wrap and spare for when you muck up when cutting it 😉

~£46

Think invisiframe generic kits for £46 give you all that with nice cut edges.

If you are doing a complicated sus bike then it could be cheaper to do it yourself but 4″ isn’t wide enough to get a good wrap on many modern frames.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Invisiframe or Helitape?’ is closed to new replies.