Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Intrepid Apparel
  • spyke85
    Free Member

Anyone bought the soft shell from then? Looking at getting one but want some opinions on it.

wrecker
    Free Member

I have looked on their site. It’s great to see new british companies starting up and I think there is a massive gap in the MTB clothing market BUT £60 for a jersey is frankly taking the piss. It’s just disappointing. I cannot see even an attempt to justify the price. Is it make in the UK? is it organic? Fair trade? made from the wool of virgin moongoats? No. It’s just aimed at affluent mugs as far as I can tell.
    As for the softshell? I’d bet a fair amount it won’t be as good as a Rab.

argyle
    Free Member

like the look of them but they are so expensive. you can get this for the same money

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=72786&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=Shopping&utm_name=UnitedKingdom

daver27
    Free Member

I met the owner at the london bike show, chatted to him for quite a while, really nice young chap. the clothes are made in china (as EVERYTHING is nowadays) they are really well designed (i’d buy the jersey just for the lift pass holder on the sleeve), expensive, but no more so than other premium brands, and they ARE trying to be a premium brand from what i could tell.
    agree they are expensive, but they are really really nice clothes, really well designed and the owner really knows his stuff.

lock
    Free Member

I’ve got soft shell and a t shirt,really impressed with the soft shell in terms of design ,cut and quality,

The t shirt is a t shirt just good quality ,it’s not a fruit of the loom joby

I’m happy to pay the price,there’s plenty cheaper options

wrecker
    Free Member

they ARE trying to be a premium brand from what i could tell.

That’s fair enough but you need a reason to be premium. I don’t doubt that the owner and staff are nice guys.
    The kit is the same quality as endura etc (perhaps less), made in the same place (perhaps even factory) so what is their USP? Nice graphics?
    Lift pass holder? (my shorts have those) iPhone pocket? (FFS) brand heritage? Why should we pay more for the pleasure of owning part this brand? It smack of “aspirational” to me, which means asshat in common terms.
    I’d take that Montane over the intrepid in a second.
    Nice looking kit but not premium in any way as far as I can see.

there’s plenty cheaper options

of equal quality and design.

powerofra

I got the jersey and the jacket through the Bike Radar half price deals.

Not used the jersey in anger yet but it seems good – few details like key and arm pockets make it stand out from alternatives. Asked my wife if it looked OK, and she said I looked like a Bell End. Shes not as gnarly as me though so I’ll take the comment with a pinch of salt.

The jacket i’ve used loads and its a beaut. Nice fit that looks fairly normal off the bike but seems to stretch in all the right places when riding.

I survived some light rain without getting wet and I haven’t experienced that boil in the bag sensation you get with some coats.

Generally seems good quality with chunky zip and lots of pockets. Also seems like it wouldn’t rip too easily.

At full price it does seem expensive against products from established brands with well known materials like Goretex Softshell.

What would be really interesting would be well conducted study to compare the practical properties of an unbranded material like in this jacket with one of the big hitter’s materials – not sure a magazines advertising department would be fully behind this though.

daver27
    Free Member

The kit is the same quality as endura etc (perhaps less), made in the same place (perhaps even factory) so what is their USP? Nice graphics?

they are far far better designed than Endura and the fit is far better. that makes them much better for me. granted not everyone is the same shape and not everyone wants to pay the price, but for those that do, they will get a superbly designed bit of kit for riding mountain bikes.
    USP – they are designed by riders (enduro racers) for riders, which has been said many times before granted. they have addressed some glaring holes in current products designs and incorporated elements from other sports that make sense, like the aforementioned liftpass holder on the sleeve. its by your hand, not on your thigh, so instead of trying to pull off a yoga move standing on one leg trying to activate the gate with the pass in your thigh pocket whilst pushing your bike through, you just wave your hand. nice and simple and i for one like that.
    Everyone has to start somewhere with a company and i for one will give them my support by buying their products. its nice to see someone start up a company that makes great products in this current economic climate

wrecker
    Free Member

Hey, the kit seems nice. I like the look of it and was excited to see a new brand about. If I’d have seen the half price deal, I’d probably have bought some myself (that would represent good value). They just need to sort their pricing out because it’s not justified. Plently of “for riders by riders” brands around and we’ve survived this long without lift passes in our arms.

they are far far better designed than Endura

Whilst I’m no big fan of Endura, I’d like to see some evidence of this (more than a pass holder anyway).

spyke85
    Free Member

I’m guessing the half price deal has gone?

cinnamon_girl

I do like the look of their baggies but none for girlies. 🙁

fathomer

The jacket looks nice but not £135 nice. I’m actually in the market for a hooded softshell, jumped on the dare2b cheepie, like the style but not very breathable, you get what you pay for I suppose! If Intrepid jacket goes on offer again sometime soon I’ll snap one up.

prezet
    Free Member

Too expensive for a relatively new brand, and frankly too dull. If I want well made, affordable, black mtb clothing I’ll stick to Fox.

lock
    Free Member

I don’t get the moaning,if you don’t wanna pay for don’t,get the cheaper option and wait for next thing to moan about and post up again

fathomer

lock – Member
    I don’t get the moaning,if you don’t wanna pay for don’t,get the cheaper option and wait for next thing to moan about and post up again

Isn’t that what internet forums are for??

mulacs

made from the wool of virgin moongoats?

loooooool 🙂

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Intrepid Apparel’ is closed to new replies.