Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Interview tips
  • Bushwacked
    Free Member

I've got a job interview next week and I'm bricking it! First interview for ages and its a job I'm well suited for so having been made redundant recently I want to do my best.

Has anyone got any suggestuons on how I can prepare and what questions to expect?

I'm well nervous! Help!

valleydaddy
    Free Member

guess it depends what job it is and what field?

I find best way is to research the company so you can ask constructive questions.

Also always have 5 or so questions to ask, I hate it when I am interviewing and when asked do you have any questions the answer is no – just feel the person is not that interested.

Remember it is your chance to interview the company representative too as you may not like your potential boss.

I have walked out of a number of interviews as I thought there was no way I could work with/for this person and haven't regretted it.

Good luck and let us know how you get on 😉

Junkyard
    Free Member

to much like work this but my e-mail is in profile and I can send you loads of info tomorrow on this and talk you through the obvious stuff.

tails
    Free Member

Research the company, dress as they dress, smile, get there in time, think before answering questions, get some decent questions ready, plus make some up at the interview.

davesmum
    Free Member

Maybe not quite what you are looking for, but a good tip I was given once was when you are sitting waiting to meet the interviewer, place your hands (palms) on your legs/knees. This will stop you getting sweaty palms prior to shaking the interviewers hands.

joolsburger
    Free Member

Don't forget to close them down and ask for any fears or reservations before you leave as you won't get another chance to address them. Just treat it like any sales meeting, you have been in them a thousand times!!

igm

Don't know what you do so it may be different in your industry, but when I'm interviewing I'm looking to find out what people know, not what they don't. I can sit and destroy somebody in an interview very easily – and what would that prove, except that I was being a bully.
    So remember the interviewer wants you to do well, they want to find a good candidate and take them on, they will try and stretch you until they find the edges of your knowledge but a good interviewer will back off very quickly once they do – they'll encourage and tease info out, they'll try to put you at ease and if they don't fall into the moold I've described then what are they going to be like to work for.
    Get a list of the standard stupid questions that HR like to ask (name a time you were proud of what you did in your school holidays and explain why – you know the drill) and prepare some snappy answers.
    Know who the employer are and be able to explain why you think they are a great employer (ie why you want to work for them other than just the money and it's something you might be able to do) – know who owns them, what they do, what their finanicials were like last year so on and so forth.
    The one thing that I always look for in an interview though is the ability to think uner pressure – I don't have to create the pressure (interviews are great for that whether you want it or not) but I will try to get people to think.
    Finally there will be no right answers and make sure you've re-read your CV before you go in.
    And breathe…

Bushwacked
    Free Member

The job is in Financial Service sales – ID and Fraud to be specific.

Cheers for the tips 🙂

Junkyard – will email in the morning.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Junkyard – YGM

samuri
    Free Member

Definately do as much research on them as you can. Bring up points you've learned about the company in the interview, always goes down well.

Junkyard
    Free Member

ygm – but later before you get some proper info

DrRSwank
    Free Member

If they ask you to tell them about yourself don't do the obvious "I ride mountain bikes me".

They want to hear that you're hard working and conscientious.

It's a real killer for me when people go off and tell me their life story……

Good Luck!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Interview tips’ is closed to new replies.