Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Interview Task – 5 minute talk on "Why I am the person you should appoint"
  • FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I have an interview in a couple of weeks time where as part of the process I will have to do a 5 minute talk on the above, followed by a traditional 40 minute interview.

This is already having done a 15 minute short interview on areas relavant to the job, and 2 hours of ‘group tasks’

So in the 5 minute talk to I just highlight my skills that I have already put on my CV and covering letter or is their some thing different I should be saying. Also how can I make it a little more interesting, having interviewed in the past I know its a deadly dull process so I need to try and stand out a little from the other candidates.

Ta

allthepies
    Free Member

Take a guitar in and play them a song a la D.Brent 😀

llama

Concentrate on the things that you are good at that they need for the job. Not too many, 3-5 max. Talk about each one in turn giving examples drawing from you CV to give examples from previous employment. Use numbers alot if you can, e.g. I saved X man hours etc etc. Then finally sum it up. 5 mins is not a long time.

Or just go down on the interviewer.

geetee1972
    Free Member

What’s the role and how much do you know about their decision making criteria for appointing the right candidate?

uplink
    Free Member

Take your lead from Spencer

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jg91xQ-OM9w[/video]

monotokpoint
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jhKceRgpak[/video]

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

‘Because I am Awesome!’

*sits back, folds arms across chest, eyeballs interviewers for 4mins 57secs*

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Its a bit unusual, a GP Practice Manager so the motivation for the employer (the Partners) isnt really financial profit.

I have a Person Spec for a similar job at another practice with Desirable and Essential criteria, should I be basing my 5 mins to cover the main criteria on that?

I guess I just need to tailor my answers to the audience that are not really business managers.. ?

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

so the motivation for the employer (the Partners) isnt really financial profit.

Are you sure??

rkk01
    Free Member

Its a bit unusual, a GP Practice Manager so the motivation for the employer (the Partners) isnt really financial profit.

– I have attended the Gestapo customer care training camp, and passed with flying colours…

– I have completed the old school British industry management communications course on effective internal and external communication.

– I was booked on the time and appointments management course, but turned up 3 hours late…

Should tick all the boxes!!

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

The income for GP’s is pretty much set in stone, dependant on list sizes etc. You can increase the list size, but then you need a GP etc etc, and there are various additional services you can offer which do generate more income. Many now beleive that with the up coming changes they will run at a loss for 2-3 years.

I think Partners do very nicely out of the current system, but from all the GP’s and PM’s I know, the overiding concern is patient heatlh and care, thats not to say that privately one or two might not be motivated by profit.

iDave
    Free Member

tell them how you will make it easier for them to do their jobs and what they’ll gain personally from you being in the position – more time, less admin, focus on whatever etc

FuzzyWuzzy

From the 15 minute short interview you had hopefully you should have got a good understanding of their needs and what they’re looking for, if not then you’ll just have to make it generic (based on what you think are relevant areas on your CV) and hope for the best.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Many now beleive that with the up coming changes they will run at a loss for 2-3 years.

So cost control will be important…

deepreddave
    Free Member

GPs? Running at a loss? After taking their usual £100k+ profit share/salary maybe? 🙂

dooosuk
    Free Member

I’m not a one trick pony, I’m not 10 ponies….I literally have a field of pony’s ready to run at this!

Should just about do it 🙂

sweepy
    Free Member

I’d think about how much I wanted to work for someone who takes the first opportunity they get to have you jumping through pointless hoops.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

“I’d think about how much I wanted to work for someone who takes the first opportunity they get to have you jumping through pointless hoops.”

Its the DoH and PCT’s that do that, GP’s would much prefer to have less bureaucracy.

Sweepy have you worked in that sector?

sweepy
    Free Member

I have, but my point really is that I dont think theres any real point to the kind of tasks you are expected to perform as part of an interview these days.
    You will have gone through group tasks, two interviews and given a presentation, and I dont believe it will make any difference whatsoever to their ability to select the best person for the job.
    Who decided on the format of the selection process? I would not want them as my line manager.

crazy-legs

Watch all the back catalogue of this years series of The Apprentice. Cut and paste Stuart “The Brand” Baggs’ comments as appropriate, arrange into a 5 minute spiel.

😉

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Sweepy unfortunately the recruitment is being done through a recruitment agency, so I guess they are doing all this to justify their thousands of pounds fee.

sweepy
    Free Member

Ah, that says it all

boblo
    Free Member

Sweepy, you have a point. It pains me when I see dullards (often Public Sector) applying ‘Management Machismo’ they’ve picked up from goodness know where to their roles…

I’ve mostly been in the Private Sector but I did go for PS role when I was between jobs. I was asked to prepare a 20 min presentation on how I would deal with the burning issues of the new role once in post. This request was at first interview stage i.e. I knew very little about the role (beyond the sales blah blah) and nothing of the detail behind it.

Now you could surmise it was a canny trick or praps just buffoonery at its worst…. you choose.

To the OP, as above. Concentrate your 5 mins on how you’ll make their lives easier/more productive and demonstrate understanding of their problems (challenges – uggghhh)and they’ll luuuurve you.

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

Funky, which area of the UK are you/the job in?
    My friend’s dad used to be a practise manager but is currently out of work. I could see if he can offer advice, but may have to say no if you’re both in the same area as he may going for the job himself.

donsimon
    Free Member

Benefits not features.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Interview Task – 5 minute talk on "Why I am the person you should appoint"’ is closed to new replies.