Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 77 total)
  • Interview – Suit or not
  • duckers
    Free Member

For job interviews, who would wear a suit and who wouldn’t?
    Interviews are for IT work, software developer & consultancy, currently working but time for a change, north of england, none of this city 8ull$h1t.

Thing is I think suits often look stuffy and that a snappy modern shirt, tie, trousers, shoes, are much more appealing. When I interview in my current role I dont discredit anyone who doesnt wear a suit, but would you?

RooleyMoor
    Free Member

Suit, definitely a suit.

Your showing you’re serious about the role and you are also showing respect for your future employer..

(If your suit is scruffy get a smarter one!)

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

a snappy modern shirt

Thanks, don’t call us, we’ll call you…….

😉

Suit up. Make an effort.

uplink
    Free Member

agree – must be a suit but not one that makes you look like ‘The Accused’

Drac

Smart is good that’s all I looked for on first appearance when doing interviews, just because you wearing a suit don’t mean you good at your job.

surfer
    Free Member

No but if your not wearing a suit you may not get the opportunity to prove the latter!

miketually
    Free Member

I wore a suit on my wedding day but never have since, including job interviews.

Smart shoes, trousers and a shirt. I wear a tie for interviews too, but don’t for anything else.

miketually
    Free Member

No but if your not wearing a suit you may not get the opportunity to prove the latter!

I wouldn’t want to work anywhere that made their recruiting decisions based only on whether someone was wearing a suit.

CraigNicholson
    Free Member

SUit without a doubt in that field of work. Bar job, fair enough but for IT etc, defo decent suit. Asda have one in fo £19 at the minute and it’s a reasonable cut! If you’ll only ever use it for interviews, why not?

simonralli2
    Free Member

This is just me but I would wear a suit. They do not have to look stuffy in my mind.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

miketually, you would be instantly rejected from a very large number of jobs, so there’s no need to worry about if you want to work for them or not!

uplink
    Free Member

a £19 suit 😯

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

uplink – Member
    a £19 suit

WTF? £19? It may well be a “reasonable cut” but WTF is it made of? Binliner?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I wear a tie for interviews too

Well, in fairness, if you wear a tie, you might as well wear a suit. Things change and I know not a lot of people wear a suit these days but for an interview, I’d definitely wear one. I’ve been in situations where I’ve felt both overdressed and underdressed (Jeez, haven’t we all) and I know which feels a hell of a lot more embarrassing.

Oh and hello everyone, happy new year and all that. Just getting over the jetlag.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I’ve been in situations where I’ve felt both overdressed and underdressed (Jeez, haven’t we all) and I know which feels a hell of a lot more embarrassing.

Well put! (and, welcome back, old chap!)

aracer
    Free Member

What I don’t understand is why you’re happy to wear a tie, but think suits look stuffy. Personally I’d far rather put on a jacket than throttle myself.

aleigh
    Free Member

When I undertake interviews I think a suit looks smart whereas a shirt and trousers doesn’t IMO.

It’s what you’re comfortable with but professionally speaking a suit is the way to go 🙂

RooleyMoor
    Free Member

But it shows that you’ve made an effort and you understand the rules! A future employer will be looking at you and thinking, hmmm he’s not bothered wearing a suit for this, what will he wear to turn up on a customer site..

tinker-belle
    Free Member

A clean well fitting suit is a must…

And what deadlydarcy said…

Gary_M
    Free Member

The only time I’ve not worn a suit to an interview was when I wasn’t fussed if I got the job or not. I still got the job so that proves nothing. If I wanted the job I’d wear a suit as it’s not just about being smart but unfortunately employers can base your attitude on what you wear.

I would never, ever wear a snappy, modern shirt. Does that have a big collar and geometric prints? Anyway classic, undertstated works best.

simonralli2
    Free Member

I had the embarrassment of turning up to my grandfather’s funeral in Taunton last year having left my suit jacket in a hotel in Leeds. I ended up popping into Asda and buying an entire dark suit for £25. It may not last, and I wouldnt want to wear it week in week out, but was absolutely fine for a day and looked like any other suit really.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Ah, got to love this country, with it’s anachronistic customs…

Personally, I wouldn’t risk not wearing a suit, or at least a shirt, tie, jacket and smart trousers and shoes. It’s almost the law, really, for most jobs. The only interview I’ve ever gone for, casual, was for a retail position, and i’d already had a good chat with the boss, so virtually had the job anyway. Wore just a short-sleeved shirt, casual trousers and sandals. It was middle of summer, and 90+ degrees. The boss was wearing t-shirt, shorts and flip-flops! I think only in scorching heat, could you be excused a jacket, reallly.

Silly, though, isn’t it? that most people wouldn’tgive a toss whether you wore a ‘suit’ or not, yet it’s still not a good idea not to.

‘Making the effort’ is the key, really, and wearing the ‘uniform’ displays that.

booboorazoom
    Free Member

theres always the jacket and tie option with co-ordinating trousers….not a suit but a good halfway house and potentially smart!!!!!!……………unless you wear cords!!!

Everytime I interview someone in a shirt,tie and trousers I always wonder where the hell the jacket is …especially if its cold….if you have to wear a coat at least make it a jacket but I too prefer someone in a suit!!!!

BigDummy
    Free Member

I have a sneaking suspicion that in an environment where suit wearing is mandatory people are able to tell that a suit cost £19 and react accordingly. But that may not be right.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Personally I’d far rather put on a jacket than throttle myself.

Get a shirt that fits properly then.

aleigh
    Free Member

it’s about creating a great first impression rudeboy

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Aleigh, would you give me the job, if I wore my….

….Birthday Suit?

mrsflash
    Free Member

Yup, I would always wear a suit for an interview. For my current job I had one of my interviews on a saturday morning in a local hotel because that was the only time my interviewer could do, but I still wore a suit.

Gary_M
    Free Member

theres always the jacket and tie option with co-ordinating trousers

What you mean like a suit?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Wore just a short-sleeved shirt

A mate of mine started a job where all the blokes were a bit Nazi about what everybody wore. If you were a bit “underdressed” you’d better not have been the sensitive type. On one particularly hot day, he wore a short sleeved shirt with a tie to work. The first thing that was said to him was “Morning mate, where’d you park your bus?”. Now I’m not saying it was right to say this but it was bloody funny and I’ve never worn a short sleeved shirt with a tie since I heard it.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

PMSL @ Darcy…..!

aleigh
    Free Member

I’m sure rudeboy if you were to attend an interview for a nudist camp, that choice of (non) attire would go down a treat – but in answer to your question I wouldnít interview you full stop!

RudeBoy
    Free Member

The first thing that was said to him was “Morning mate, where’d you park your bus?”

Yeah, but he could have responded by saying ‘in your mum’s crack’, and they could have had a proper vicious fight, using sharp office equipment, and it might have resulted in some quite serious injuries.

But you’d guarantee, no-one would ever be an arse over someone else’s dress sense, again.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Suit as no one will NOT give you the job because you wore a suit they might NOT give you a job because you did not wear a suit though…. ignore this if you do not want to work with such shallow people.
    Think it is nonesense but been on a panel where the best candidate did not get the job due to attire nonesense but so is work really.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

I wouldnít interview you full stop!

(runs away sobbing) 😥

Heartless woman.

Truth is, you know I’d take your job, innit?

No point denying it, love.

I’d let you stay on as my secretary though. I’d let you make me tea. 😉

(Runs away as fast as possible, before Aleigh can find a heavy or sharp object…)

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

But you’d guarantee, no-one would ever be an arse over someone else’s dress sense, again.

I think the comment was taken in the spirit in which it was intended.

using sharp office equipment

I believe a paper cut may have been delivered using some A4

BigDummy
    Free Member

After being the worst dressed person in my office for some years, I have recently been relieved by another member of staff who has decided to cultivate the appearance of Mr Tumnus, right down to the little horns.

lunge

Wear a suit, if you’re over dress then so be it, but much better that than being under dressed.

As someone who interviews a lot of people i would rather someone was in a suit with an open shirt and no tie than trousers, shirt and a tie. A suit just looks better however you wear it.

surfer
    Free Member

Mike

Nobody should ever base their recruitment decisions on whether somebody wore a suit or not and that is not what I said.
    It may however put you at an unnecesary disadvantage by not wearing a suit and imo its naive to think that recruiters/employers will ignore your dress and focus solely on your experience and qualifications, although we all know that these are the most important factors.

Its a box that you need to tick however If you feel strongly about it make your own choice.

aleigh
    Free Member

“Heartless woman. Truth is, you know I’d take your job, innit? No point denying it, love. I’d let you stay on as my secretary though. I’d let you make me tea”

Yeah dream on rudeboy – you couldn’t do my job!

And as for being your secretary and having a boss like you, firstly I’m not a skivvy to anyone and secondly you’d probably end up wearing the cup of tea 😆

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 77 total)

The topic ‘Interview – Suit or not’ is closed to new replies.