Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Internet timing out on OS X 10.6.4?
  • gustard_cannet
    Free Member

I've got a most annoying problem on my computer, after about 10 minutes of not using the internet it seems to stop working, i've pretty much narrowed it down to my Mini Mac because when this happens my ipod will still be online?

Any mac peeps out there know if there are any settings in Snow Leopard to stop this from happening?

Cheers! 🙂

rs
    Free Member

I had this or something similar for a while, the little airport icon would just drop the signal and i had to rescan for it, try changing the wireless channel on the router.

gustard_cannet
    Free Member

Yeah that sounds like what i've got going on here, will give it a go 😉

brassneck

I had something similar with an older router, and switched from WEP to WPA2 encryption for all my devices – only started after a Snow Leopard update. It took me a while to get to that change I can tell you, as I'm still a bit puzzled as to why it should make any difference, and I'm not about to sit down with a protocol analyser to find out when it's sunny outside.

gustard_cannet
    Free Member

Ooh blimey, so how would i go about changing my IP address then? and it's looking like i'm using WPA2 already

BluePalomino
    Free Member

What wi-fi router you using?

rs
    Free Member

changing IP address? try just changing the wireless channel.

gustard_cannet
    Free Member

It's a Talk Talk Huwai Echolife, I've been into the router settings but can't seem to find any way of changing anything?

Onzadog
    Free Member

I had a similar issue with my mac book pro. They even swapped out parts to try to solve it. In the end, I installed isumbler and looked for a wifi channel that was less busy and further away from ones that were busy. It's been faultless ever since.

gustard_cannet
    Free Member

I've just gone into router settings and changed the channel from 1 to 2, sitting back and crossing fingers…

gustard_cannet
    Free Member

Seems to have sorted it

nice one doooods! 🙂 🙂 🙂

Onzadog
    Free Member

Worth downloading and running istumbler. That way you can see what channels your neighbours are using. Things might change when people come home later.

MrNutt
    Free Member

I'll be doing that too then, bloody macbookpro!

rs
    Free Member

I'm not sure its just a mac thing, when my mac was doing it, my work PC laptop was also losing the signal when i had it home. Just too many similar wireless signals (I live in an apartment with about 10 or so other routers in range).

dr_death
    Free Member

Well recognised problem on the mac forums (although apple deny it happens) was happening with my macbook pro too (although strangely not with my hackintosh macbook mini).

Chnaged the encyrption from WPA2 to WEP and back again reset all the other settings and changed the wireless channel and this seemed to sort it….

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Internet timing out on OS X 10.6.4?’ is closed to new replies.