Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Internet Problems
  • Rockhopper
    Free Member

My EE broadband backed up on sunday afternoon. I left it overnight hoping it would fix itself but it didn’t. I tried resetting it, plugging it directly into the test socket etc but no joy. I can connect to it but it can’t connect to the internet – no flashing lights. After an hour on the phone to EE they decided that the router had died and said they would send me a new one. In the meantime I bought a Netgear one just to get me going. Now then, that one connects but is incredibly slow. The speedtest app on my phone shows upload as 0.25 Mbps and upload around 1 Mbps with a ping varying from 58 to 200. Connecting to the router with a network cable doesn’t help so its not a wireless issue.
    The house phone works fine though.

So, it is something i can fix or do I have to endure another session with India on the phone then wait in all day for an engineer?

Cougar

What model number is the Netgear?

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Hi, it’s an N300 wireless modem router model number DGN2200

Cougar

Ah, I was wondering if it was a limit on the router, but it’s ADSL2+ so should be ok.

Still slow in the test socket? Must be a line issue, can’t see how it can be anything else short of the uFilter, and that’s a reach.

unovolo
    Free Member

My parents had a similar issue recently, connection speed was around 0.43mb but they did have noise on the phone line.

Tried unplugging all house phones and plugging router directly into test socket with new filter, no difference.

Got them to call BT to sort the noise on the line out,which seemed to be a fault with some old external wiring as the line has to pass across 2 adjoining properties.

Then got on to Sky who checked there guff and reset the DLM, also got them to send a new router out.
    I also fitted them a new faceplate to the master phone socket with integral filter.

Result connection speed is now upto 4mbs with hopefully a little more to come once the DLM is done, which is fine for them.

bigyinn
    Free Member

@ OP.
    You may find the connection has been dropping for a while and the connection has been capped by automatically DLM (digital line management).
    If the connection is stable now, you can get EE to check for any caps or stuck profiles and get them to remove them and refresh the DLM.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Thanks guys. I’ll ring them tomorrow as I’m off work and hopefully be able to get through a bit quicker than in the evening…

Its so infuriating when things like this go wrong as you are dealing with people who are just working though a script and have no real idea how to fix the problem.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

It does seem stable but very slow (around 0.3mbps) when previous I had a steady 5mb plus i think it was.

brassneck

Can take up to 3 days to train up.

Few bits of info I’ve picked up – my download speed is fine but I have terrible latency (talking seconds of ping!) and dropped packets that hit 20-30% at bad times – but it’s variable, can be fine sometimes. I suspect contention, but I’m not sure that’ll get fixed.

Google ‘quiet line’ test to check for noise.
    Plug your router directly into the master socket – avoid extensions.
    Switch off mains network extensions – apparently they can interfere with ADSL. Seems dubious to me..
    Switch off / move DECT phones (usually wireless issues, but I’m getting desperate!)

When you make a change, reset the router and give it a day or so to settle.
    Ping someting in your ISPs network and let it run for 1000 packets – note the average latency and dropped packets, as this will make the connection feel rubbish regardless of the actual download speed.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Thats all way beyond me I’m afraid! I’ve fiddled with various settings but its now back to the default, on each occasion I’ve given it 24 hours but it never climbs above 0.3mbps

bigyinn
    Free Member

brassneck, it doesnt need to re-train if its a stuck profile, EE should be able to reset there and then.

Cougar

Does the router have the ability to run ping tests from within the web interface (some do)? Would be interesting to see if the results there match the device.

Might be worth waiting for the new router. If it doesn’t fix it, which I suspect it won’t, then get back on to EE.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

So they sent me a new router which connects but only manages .25mbps. Another two hours on the phone resulted in an engineers appointment for this morning at 7.15 which was nice. This engineer turned out to be a man in a white van who worked for EE who simply repeated all the tests I’d already done then rang BT to book them to come and see me….

Its been ten days now.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Internet Problems’ is closed to new replies.