Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • 'Internet' on a mobile phone – (probably a STUPID question)……
  • monkey_boy
    Free Member

I have a HTC mobile, i dont have a data package with O2 and this setting is switched off, so when i go home it automatically picks up my Sky wireless broadband, fine by me and i dont need to fart about.

Boss in work has a blackberry bold 9900, he has a full monty contract with Vodafone, gets the interent via them, however when he’s at home he has to turn this connection off and then turn on wireless to use his home sky connection as its faster.

searched the blackberry forums and i dont think you can set it up automatically so when he goes home it picks up the wireless and sets it as the main connection?

does anybody know if this is a standard feature?

cheers

wombat

It is a standard feature, both my current Curve 9230 and previous Bold 9000 did an automatic switch over to use wi fi for data.

monkey_boy
    Free Member

cheers is it an acutal setting, as in a checkbox on the phone?

bails

Most devices seem to connect automatically to a known network. But this means leaving the phone’s wifi switched on and scanning all day which might drain the battery a bit.

I use an app called Tasker which automatically turns the wifi on when I get within a certain distance of home, so I save the battery but connect as soon as I get home. That’s on android though, don’t know if a similar thing exists for blackberry.

jam-bo

I use an app called Tasker which automatically turns the wifi on when I get within a certain distance of home, so I save the battery but connect as soon as I get home.

so it drains the battery by using the GPS instead? winner.

nano
    Free Member

Look in settings (the spanner icon) or quick access from the BBY button on the front of the phone.

Most handsets will switch to wi fi if both wi fi and 3G are enabled as the wi fi signal will be generally a) faster and / or b) more reliable.

Dependent on the BBY you own it may not have a fast data signal (8520 is a good example) as only 2G but all models are not as fast as android or apple due to slower processors in comparison.

jambalaya
    Free Member

All the Blackberry’s (and other phones) I have ever had automatically switch to the WiFi. Just enable WiFi (checkbox) and setup the home network (password etc) and it will use that instead of the mobile network when you are in range

wombat

I just leave the WiFi enabled on the handset, I used to turn it off when away from home but it didn’t seem to make any difference to the battery life so I stopped. It might make a difference, I’m just saying I didn’t notice it on my handset.

monkey_boy
    Free Member

cheers all, i’ll try and get at the phone later

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘'Internet' on a mobile phone – (probably a STUPID question)……’ is closed to new replies.