Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Internet help
  • paulosoxo
    Free Member

I’ve bought a domain name and pointed it to my IP address. In turn I’ve used port forwarding on my router to forward onto my nas, which when I now get the log in screen of, when I type in my domain name.

Is all this safe? Or am I a hackers dream?

druidh
    Free Member

Do you have a static IP address or are you using some form of DDNS?

smiff
    Free Member

well, what’s on your NAS? 😀

somouk
    Free Member

So long as you have only forwarded the ports you need an have changed all the default passwords on the NAS to strong ones you should be fine so long as the NAS has no exploits.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Do you have a static IP address or are you using some form of DDNS?

I’ve no idea.

well, what’s on your NAS?

Nothing too illegal.

So long as you have only forwarded the ports you need an have changed all the default passwords on the NAS to strong ones you should be fine so long as the NAS has no exploits.

Changed all passwords, followed a guide for setting up port forwarding, so I think I have it right.

leffeboy

Personally I would also have changed the default http port away from 80 to something else if it is only so you can have remote access. It doesn’t slow you down much but makes it a little more different for all the people out there randomly scanning ports. We used to run our own webmail server here and it was astonishing how quickly people found it and started trying to break in 🙁

Cougar

I’ve no idea.

You need to find out, otherwise it’ll all stop working as soon as your router is reset or your connection otherwise drops for whatever reason. (And if you don’t know, chances are that it’s dynamic and this will be an issue). Something like DynDns might be a better option.

Personally, I wouldn’t do it. If you have to ask what the risks are, that’s reason enough to make it a bad idea. (-: But also bear in mind, you’re (presumably) sharing stuff upstream the wrong way along an ADSL connection; so anything you copy off externally will transfer at your considerably slower upload speeds. External hosting is usually a better idea, for this reason.

What are you trying to achieve?

wwaswas

Most ISP’s have a bit of space you can use on their servers for web pages and if you want to do file transfers or anythign then a Dropbox type arrangement is probably best.

And 2nd the bit about load times – you’ll have a comparatively slow upload speed on a domestic connection.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

To be honest, I’m just trying to learn how these things work, there’s no real point to this, other than I can access my files away from home, and store things on my drive as needed.

I agree with the point that if I have to ask whether I’m doing it wrong, then I probably am 🙂

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Internet help’ is closed to new replies.