• This topic has 5 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by Drac.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Internet access for laptop on trains – how?
  • cakefest
    Free Member

Travelling a lot on trains – up to 8hrs for long journeys – at the moment and want internet access for my MacBook Air bought late 2014. What’s the best way for me to stay connected? I’m not super tech minded so bear with me.

First Great Western have WiFi they say, so that sounds easy. Choose Network and use their password and connect through them. Just like being in a coffee shop.

But my other trainline is Arriva Trains Wales and they don’t have wireless. I’ve seen some other folks with a small stick in their laptops. Is that for connecting to the internet?

I could get a smartphone and use that, but I would prefer not to as i’ve got documents to write and research to do that requires the laptop.

Any help appreciated.

scaredypants

I’ve seen some other folks with a small stick in their laptops. Is that for connecting to the internet?

4g dongle ? (maybe 3g if 4g coverage doesn’t extend that far)

Or you can tether to your phone if it has good data allowance (and your phone provider allows it)

jimmy

Get a MyFi device, basically a wireless modem which uses a sim card to get mobile network data.

Mackem
    simonpedley

Me and a mate tried using virgin wifi upto Manchester, it was crap and expensive! My phone coverage wasn’t much better either due to the cuttings that railway lines run in.

Drac

Dongle from eBay for 4G and see what EE are offering on data packages they often have deals on.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Internet access for laptop on trains – how?’ is closed to new replies.