Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Internal bike rack for a new van
  • jimr80
    Free Member

So i got myself a new van for work and am looking to fit some kind of system to hold the bike/bikes in place. Ideally with a floor mounted track with some way of holding the bike through the 15mm qr. I have seen similar racks which only seem to cater for 9mm qr.
    This sort of thing.
    rack

All ideas welcome, either DIY and shop brought.

Lester
    Free Member

some people use a pallet to seat the tyres in, either laying down or upright at the rear 🙂

ontor
    Free Member

What about just bolting some of these to the bed or a length of timber cut to size?

Personally I’d bolt them to something solid like an internal bulkhead and have done with it.

mactheknife

How about these Rail with these housing.

It does get pretty expensive though id you have more than 1 bike. I also cant make out how the rail attaches to the van floor.

houndlegs
    Free Member

Just lean bike against van side and bungee cord it from the roof to the floor. Always do this with my bikes,no problems at all.

MTB-Rob
    Free Member

I use something like this screwed int to some ply wood to make it more stable and easy to remove if needed.

And then Fork Ups converts QR to 15mm 20mm etc

blastit
    Free Member

Make a ladder up from 2×1 roofing lathe so it fits the van width snug.
    You can make gaps to fit tyre width(bespoke), this stops bike sliding and slipping over. Just roll bikes into gaps, no taking dirty wheels off or faffing inbetween bikes to get them locked in. Then bungee to sides.
    Being wood you can alter to your hearts content .
    This one below is a posh one !!
    http://www.woodworkersworkshop.com/resources/woodworking-plans.php?link_id=67894

jimr80
    Free Member

Cheers guys for the feed back.
    blastit, now that i could do, however it may hinder me getting my tools in and out on a daily basis.

muddodger
    Free Member

I’ve got one of these bolted in the back of a kangoo, http://www.halfords.com/cycling/tools-maintenance/bike-storage-solutions/delta-bike-hitch-pro-front-fork-mount which works perfectly.
    Could bolt a coule of those to something,which may or may not be any good for you though

lerk
    Free Member

I’ve made some nylon blocks with a 15mm hole drilled through them and tapped holes from the bottom…
    Screwed to a bit of 18mm ply it gives a completely solid fix for any journey.
    BUT – I’m planning on making something like the ladder above to save taking wheels off for everyday use

bigdrew
    Free Member

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321206589339?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Cut to 100mm fits perfectly (needs to be cut well, a lathe would be best but I used a hacksaw. I then got a couple of rubber lined p clips and mounted it to a block of wood.

The wood bolted down with thumb screws into rivi nuts in the van floor.

antares
    Free Member

What about just bolting some of these to the bed or a length of timber cut to size?

Personally I’d bolt them to something solid like an internal bulkhead and have done with it.

Just done exactly this.

image by Jeevester, on Flickr

jimr80
    Free Member

antares,
    now that’s exactly how i want to get the job done.

antares
    Free Member

I looked at that Minoura rack myself at first but then came across the Seasucker fork mounts. Can get 4 bikes in nicely, just needed to add another bit of wood under 2 of the mounts so the handlebars overlap each other.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Internal bike rack for a new van’ is closed to new replies.