Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Interior design for normal people
  • grum
    Free Member

I’ve been trying to find some inspiration for tarting up our new house as it’s very drab at the moment.

Been looking through lots of blogs, guides etc – but they all seem to be generally leaning towards people with massive houses and budgets, or showcasing the homes of people who are super-creative and arty. Are there any good resources out there for normal people with normal houses?

I know this probably wouldn’t make for very exciting blog/magazine fodder, but seeing pictures of someone’s amazing NYC loft apartment or beautiful Georgian country house doesn’t really help that much.

This is the least pretentious one I’ve found so far:

http://roomenvy.co.uk

BTW feel free to take the piss out of me for not being manly and talking about beer and football – I’m ‘totes metro’ so I can handle it. 🙂

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

It all starts from the floor. 🙂

grum
    Free Member

I agree – a nice B&Q laminate is key I reckon.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

a nice B&Q laminate is key I reckon

Posh flecker!!

footflaps

You need to decide on a style, Shabby chic, Modern Metro, Contemporary, Victoriana, Raving homosexual etc etc…

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Shabby chic

+1

I really love shabby sheek.

MrOvershoot

footflaps – Member

You need to decide on a style, Shabby chic, Modern Metro, Contemporary, Victoriana, Raving homosexual etc etc…
    I think the main one you’ve missed is rug munching lair

bratty

I’d go for a terry thomas style lair myself

Bunnyhop

It’s all a load of poncy rubbish and I’m in the business.

Small room = light colours
    Don’t clash with patterns if you can help it,
    Put your own style in the rooms, doesn’t have to be the latest fashion.

Don’t tell anyone but we have a pink, bedroom!

Oh yes and if I see or hear the words ‘oh this room! It’s so bright, light and spacious……..

grum
    Free Member

Thanks. To some of you anyway! 🙂

It’s a 1930s terrace. Currently thinking of sanding/varnishing the floorboards and painting it mostly quite light, neutral colours – with a few splashes of colour here and there. It’s not the greatest in terms of natural light in the middle of the house.

scotroutes

I generally let my Mrs pick the “themes” and then we tweak them to get something we both find acceptable.

Have a laugh… http://www.zoopla.co.uk/for-sale/details/29436595?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Avoid colours on walls. The nicest rooms I see (and I see a lot) tend to have neutral walls and woodwork, but colours added by accessories e.g. If you like a certain shade of blue, pink, green etc, instead of painting a “feature” wall that colour, hang a mirror with a frame the colour you like or painted dresser style shelves. If it’s a kitchen, again keep walls neutral but add your favourite colours with tiled splash backs etc. Not saying these are golden rules, but it seems to be what works best in the houses I see. Keep your woodwork white gloss, satin or eggshell. If it’s a 30s terrace, pay attention to the symmetry (possibly more 20s than 30s…depends on the style of the house).

righog
    Free Member

I agree that looking on the net for inspiration for rooms brings up a lot of the very expensive stuff and not much ordinary. If you do see something you like even just a very small part of it, make sure you copy the picture, as you wont be able to find it again.

Don’t pick a “theme” your personality and style will come through anyway.

As others have said no strong colours, on the walls.

Try to include some stuff you have made yourself, tables, art frames etc, it may not look perfect but it will give a you a warm and fuzzy feeling every time you see or it.

yossarian
    Free Member

We are about halfway through totally gutting and renovating our 1930s semi (phnar). I’d say go for whatever colours you like, in whatever combination you like. The most important thing is to use quality products and decent tradesmen.

spacemonkey

Not much wrong with that. Pretty neutral with scope to do what you want. Ikea Stat units I believe.

mogrim

Disagree with the “no strong colours on the walls”, my house is painted in bright colours and I like it. It probably helps we’re in Spain, and natural light is not a problem though.

Big mistake we made was to put in dark coloured floors, they look great for about 2 minutes after cleaning, but they really highlight any dust or dirt…

spacemonkey

Disagree with the “no strong colours on the walls”

Similarly I like certain designs where one wall is painted/papered dark to contrast with the other walls.

grum
    Free Member

Some good tips here (I think!). I started a Pinterest thingammijig with examples of things I like.

I might even go as far as doing this – http://www.channel4.com/4homes/design-decorate/decorating-ideas/mood-board-colour-schemes-how-to-create-a-mood-board-10-09-27

I like your kitchen scotroutes – probably similar to how we would like ours.

Similarly I like certain designs where one wall is painted/papered dark to contrast with the other walls.

Some friends of ours are having a feature wall in their bedroom with this on it.

Kind of cool but I’m not sure I would feel happy with such a bold ‘statement’.

I like the idea of making/customising some stuff – I’m not very crafty though.

bearnecessities

Bye Melanie 😀

spooky_b329

We are sticking to the idea of painting one wall or a chimney breast in a strong colour, leaving the rest of the room white/cream or a very light shade of the same colour, and then matching curtains/bedding/rugs/lamp shades to the room.

Keeps it light without being plain. However due to a lack of forward planning we seem to have red curtains in one bedroom, red rug in the hallway, but its just the living room that was meant to be red…

This house was doing the rounds last week, however it seems they have removed it from the market whilst they break out the eggshell emulsion! Its a shame they have made the pictures a bit translucent as it reduces the full impact…still makes your eyes go a bit funny though…

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-41719309.html

maccruiskeen

spacemonkey – Member

Have a laugh… http://www.zoopla.co.uk/for-sale/details/29436595?

Not much wrong with that. Pretty neutral with scope to do what you want. Ikea Stat units I believe.[/quote]

whats funny now – after the tread has been revived after 8 months is that link has moved and now points to a single garage

chewkw
    Free Member

grum – Member
    This is the least pretentious one I’ve found so far:

http://roomenvy.co.uk

BTW feel free to take the piss out of me for not being manly and talking about beer and football – I’m ‘totes metro’ so I can handle it.

Very simple, stick to one or two colours for the entire house / space then declutter them.

You may need consistency if you really want those interior design looks but you should aim for creature comfort and practicality.

As for furniture etc just buy whatever you like and comfortable with. Forget what others say so long as you don’t try very hard to fit into others taste (you will get it wrong if you follow others) after all it is your house.

There and my consultation fee is cheap at £2,000 please.

😆

Junkyard
    Free Member

Its your house if you like it you do it

I have bright colours in some of my rooms but my kitchen diner [ I flatter my terrace house no end with this description] has no natural light – I blocked it off to make the internal bike shed…priorities and all that… and it has to be painted bright or it is just dark and dull

personally not a fan of feature walls but I do have feature art work painted on a number of walls [ Mrs JY is an artist though so that helps]
    Its not to everyone tastes though but hey they dont live here and it can all be painted over easily enough.

Just taling a wee break from the DIY

I also agree with trying to keep it style with your property and IMHO those feature walls and other such trends will look as data as the crazy crap folk did in the 70’s and 80’s

Keep it simple and pick what you like.

FWIW bare floors are great but cold [ as in temperature] but save me ruining carpets with muddy bikes and me.

Check your floorboards as well mine are gash with a few gaps and some less than nice sawing to fit the central heating so it was never really an option.

BillMC

Farrow and Ball Wimborne white on the walls and ceiling, French grey on the kitchen and woodwork. Sorted. You can economise by getting these colours copied at Crown. F and B olive for exterior woodwork.

grum
    Free Member

Not sure why this got bumped after 8 months. 😕

Finally got round to stripping some of the hideous textured wallpaper and got some F&B tester pots. 🙂

Sounds like a good tip to get them copied!

I also agree with trying to keep it style with your property and IMHO those feature walls and other such trends will look as data as the crazy crap folk did in the 70’s and 80’s

Yeah think agree really.

I am a little concerned over the floorboards being cold but I think some insulating filler stuff will help.

TooTall
    Free Member

I am a little concerned over the floorboards being cold but I think some insulating filler stuff will help.

Do you mean bare floorboards over joists with earth beneath?

grum
    Free Member

I dunno what’s underneath TBH but it’s the bottom floor of the house so I guess foundations/earth? I’m not the most DIY minded person!

BillMC

I would say get the real stuff e.g. for the kitchen and copies for elsewhere. That combo works so well we’re using it for another property we’ve bought.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Interior design for normal people’ is closed to new replies.