Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Interesting/Quirky Places to Stay Around Scotland
  • yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Have got a new project at work that means travelling to every local authority in Scotland and doing a couple of days work.

Getting all my travel expenses and can take time off for a day or two here or there to have wee holidays by myself (hopefully with my bike)

So, has anyone seen anything interesting going fro short holiday lets? Thinking things like bothies with a woodburner, gypsy caravans, converted buses etc?

Cheap is good too. Don’t care about luxury, but remoteness and nice views (and pubs) works for me.

I’ve also dropped a little cash on some camping gear too so will be doing plenty of that.

StefMcDef
    Free Member

There’s a weird sort of a hippy commune bunkhouse place in the middle of Mabie Forest. Ensuite trails and a pub about ten minutes’ walk down a fire road.

Marthrown of Mabie

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Opposite end of the scale, we stayed in http://www.corrie-house.com, the view from the “Mull” bedroom is spectacular. Cooked breakfast is on the small side (for a cooked breakfast, it’s still plenty) but does include homemade sausages!

A couple of pubs within staggering distance* that do good food.

*don’t believe the owner, the track over the hill is not really driveable, we did it in the C-max but it involved sliding over rocks on the floorpan, it’s a nice walk though if you take a torch and the pubs a bit more local than the touristy one in the marina.

birky
    Free Member

http://www.sleeperzzz.com/index.html
    Never stayed but Tripadvisor reviews seem ok

gallowayboy

Stayed at Marthrown a couple of years ago and it was pretty manky……
    Lazy Duck at Nethybridge however is fantastic, as is the roundhouse near Newtonmore – will be going back soon.

CraigW
    Free Member

A converted fire service lorry, including a woodburner, at Inshriach, near Aviemore. Also a gin distillery on the estate.

Camping in Style

towzer

Rua Reidh

Corsewall Point

*BEWARE both below may/may not be trading I **think** the Crask is ok but the Gravault website has gone/is down….

Crask Inn

wigwams

Garvault

highlandman
    Free Member

Woodsman’s Hut at the Lazy Duck Hostel, Nethy Bridge.
    Eco wooden hut with small step/porch facing the Cairngorms, wood stove, trad Scots box bed, bush shower outside and a separate hut with composting toilet. Secluded in the woods of Abernethy estate and looking at Ryvoan/Strathnethy side of Cairngorm.
    Highly recommended; used it as a 3 night stop off on an extended Tour de Cairngorms with the Mrs.

dragon
    Free Member

NTS have quite a few interesting places lighthouses, cottages in castle grounds etc, although they probably don’t work too well for a single person.

Your work must love you if you are camping and not charging back hotel prices!

grum
    Free Member
    alishand

Have got a new project at work that means travelling to every local authority in Scotland and doing a couple of days work.

I have to say I’m curious what work you do that entails you to visit all 32 of Scotlands local authorities in person?!

Thats a lot of travelling!

Gary_M
    Free Member

Lots of ‘wigwam’ sites you could stay at, lovely one at Sands near gairloch.

OP I thought you were semi retired and only worked about a day a week?

towzer

Airbnb – fishing trawler moored near Glasgow

Crask I think is down to weekends, so glad I got there when it’s in it’s present form – for me – one of the best places I’ve ever been.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Some amazing ones in here, keep ’em coming!

I do training in digital inclusion for charities, won a tender to do a nationwide project. Got to do 64 days of training by mid May.
    Have come out of retirement for this project, but the pay is good so might take some time off after to do more cycling.

Oh don’t worry, work are paying for hotels when I’m doing the training, these are just ones when I’m on my own in between the different training courses I have to deliver.

Plus I’m getting all my mileage so I’ll be getting to drive the MX5 round the whole country – looking forward to Moray/Highlands/Argyll etc – will get some great driving in!

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Somewhere near Bonar Bridge there is a set of old railway carriages converted into smart b and b. Can’t remember the name.

alishand

I do training in digital inclusion for charities, won a tender to do a nationwide project. Got to do 64 days of training by mid May.
    Have come out of retirement for this project, but the pay is good so might take some time off after to do more cycling.

That’s a cracking way to see almost all of scotland. Kudos!

i guess if you’re motoring in your MX5 the route from Inverness to Applecross, up and over the Bealach Na Ba would be cracking. Not sure how that works in with your local authorities though!

Edit: Actually, even just thinking about the logistics of your trip gives me a bit of a headache. Shetland for instance?! Haha!

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

There’s a bridge to Shetland right?

Wait, who is going to feed my cats?

grey

Mcmoonter towers has a place you can stay, it’s even been on the TV.

CraigW
    Free Member

Somewhere near Bonar Bridge there is a set of old railway carriages converted into smart b and b. Can’t remember the name.

That is Sleeperzzz, at Rogart, as mentioned up thread.

There’s also one at Glenfinnan station.

maccruiskeen

i guess if you’re motoring in your MX5 the route from Inverness to Applecross, up and over the Bealach Na Ba would be cracking. Not sure how that works in with your local authorities though!

geographically about a 1/4 of the landmass is covered by just the one local authority (Highland Council) the other 2/3rds of your 32 LAs are within 40 odd minutes drive from Glasgow/Edinburgh 🙂

There’s a bridge to Shetland right?

Well thats one of you’re interesting nights accommodation right there – a sleeping bag under a table in the bar of the Aberdeen / Shetland ferry.

In fact theres probably a blue plaque there now, as it was under a table, in sleeping bag, catching the last ebbs of 3G on the Shetland Ferry, 5 and a bit years ago, that the STW username ‘maccruiskeen’ was born.

matt_outandabout

Every local authority in Scotland?

Welcome to my world…

Fife. Nowhere specific. The whole place is unique… 😉

matt_outandabout

South Ayrshire – I think you can stay at the Eisenhower room in Culzean castle.

Moray – one of the Findhorn village b&b’s. Knit your own yoghurt.

Argyll and Bute – Easdale island. Great spot, and you have to time it for first weekend in September. World drinking stone skimming championships.

legend
    Free Member

If Easdale doesn’t work out then the Clachaig Inn is an option. Never stayed, but one of my favourite pubs

matt_outandabout

What’s digital inclusion?

matt_outandabout

Oh, and Cumbernauld for North Lanarkshire. Anywhere. You will remember it, not for positive reasons though… 😀

legend
    Free Member

Just realised I was talking total balls above, was actually meaning the Tigh an Truish http://www.tigh-an-truish.co.uk/index.html

MussEd
    Free Member

If there’s £££ to be spent You can rent my shed for a few nights if you like i, I’ll even provide a sleeping mat – East Lothian is the council…

Oh but you’d need to tidy it out first so you could lie down flat…deal? Nice one!

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Digital Inclusion is about getting people who don’t use the internet to use the internet as it is important for modern life.

Well, I have a flat in Edinburgh so the offer of a shed in Mussie is sound of you, but I’ll probably kip at home that night.

househusband

I’d be well impressed if you could wangle a night at The Witchery on the company expenses…

AnyExcuseToRide
    Free Member

You should find a couple of interesting things on here!

http://www.landmarktrust.org.uk/

You get all sorts of things like old water towers, gatehouses, castles, lighthouses etc

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

TAGGING THIS FOR FUTURE REF

charliew

Stayed in a Yurt at Marthrown of Mabie and that was very nice. Also they have an outdoor log fired hot tub. Didn’t stay in the hostel area but it didn’t look amazing. Glad I stayed in a Yurt as that weekend some sort rave/party had booked all the beds in the hostel. A few turned up early and there was some pretty loud music, plenty of incense, and even more weed. Plus a few alternatives who didn’t come across as the friendliest bunch.

I can also recommend the Gatliff trust hostels for the Outer Hebrides. Basic but in lovely areas. First 2 we stayed at we didn’t see anyone, just an honesty box for the fees. Third one we met the second person to complete all the Marilyns which was pretty interesting and he got me into bothying.

Finally if you’re in Stornoway then go to the Heb Hostel and ask if the owner’s son in-laws tree house is available. Not connected to the hostel as such but pretty awesome to stay in.

Rich
    Free Member

TAGGING THIS FOR FUTURE REF

Yep.

piemonster

One in hoping to visit;

http://toms-bothy.co.uk/

matt_outandabout

^ hell yes to Tom’s pad…

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Interesting/Quirky Places to Stay Around Scotland’ is closed to new replies.