Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)
  • Interesting "fact" – A compressed spring weighs more than an uncompressed spring
  • miketually
    Free Member

The equation starts getting interesting when you look at kinetic energy of a mass whose velocity approaches the speed of light.

Useful for massless particles too and explains why lights can be curved by sufficiently massive objects.

RealMan
    Free Member

philconsequence
    Free Member

so if i weigh myself in the morning at the gym when i’m sleepy i’ll weight less than when i’m wide awake and full of energy?

IHN

So, seeing as by going quicker on your bike you weigh more, in order to lose weight you should pedal slower.

samuri
    Free Member

so if i weigh myself in the morning at the gym when i’m sleepy i’ll weight less than when i’m wide awake and full of energy?

Correct. Plus, if you have a **** to perk yourself up, you’ll weigh even less. However, if you use a coiled spring to **** you off, you should in theory gain no weight because the coil give it’s compressed energy to you.

How mad is that?

munrobiker
    Free Member

Is this the same principle of a Kindle weighing a few C more when a book (some data) is loaded onto it or am I confusing ideas here?

DezB
    Free Member

0.00000000000001 grammes heavier.

I made it 0.000000000000001 grammes

DaveRambo

Not quite a correct statement.

The mass of a spring is more when compressed (ie there is more stuff)
    It’s weight is dependent on gravity.

Take any object into space and its mass stays the same but it’s weight becomes effectively zero

</pedantic>

konabunny
    Free Member

It’s weight is dependent on gravity.

</pedantic>

obvioustrollisobvious.jpg 😀

Kryton57

So this means my full suss is heavier as soon as I sit on it?

Oh wait…..

molgrips
    Free Member

It would be heavier on a conveyor belt yes. Special relativity.

Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘Interesting "fact" – A compressed spring weighs more than an uncompressed spring’ is closed to new replies.