Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Interesting bike designs
  • Shackleton

On the drive in this morning I was pondering whether to replace my ageing Heckler (idle dreaming admittedly). Whilst doing so I started to think about how bikes have developed from my first NORBA geometry Rockhopper back in ~1990.

So my question is: What interesting bike or component designs exist (past and current) and what makes them interesting if it isn’t apparent?

So……

Pugsleys and Moonlanders (very “now” it would appear)

Banshee Spitfire (and similar) – Short rear travel, slack HA, pedal powered missile. When it was first proposed a few years ago it was fairly radical. Now it’s design seems to be becoming a bit more mainstream.

O-O 456 and all it’s descendants and cousins. I guess for much the same reason as the Spitfire.

Delta 7 Arantix – Carbon fibre cobweb bike.

Jones bikes – geometry and implementation

Salsa Fargo

Shimano airlines – would have been nice if they worked and were cheaper!

Pro flex stems – interesting idea but……

USE Sub forks

Gearbox transmissions (a la Nicolai)

neninja
    Free Member

There was a FS bike bike in the late 80’s/early 90’s called the Monolith. The designer then went to work for Specialized before setting up his own motorcycle parts business.

He also designed the Rebound fork that was used with it. Pretty amazingly looking bike.

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

ibis bowTi – 5 inches of rear wheel travel in the ti frame, no actual pivots

Lifer
    Free Member

O-O 456 and all it’s descendants and cousins. I guess for much the same reason as the Spitfire

Which were descendants of the Trailstar and Trailstar LT I reckon.

michaelmcc
    Free Member

The Ibis Bo-ti is definately an interesting / weird design. Not my cup of tea anyway

Also these two fit that category i think. The Kleins generally had sweet paint jobs though.

michaelmcc
    Free Member

There was a FS bike bike in the late 80’s/early 90’s called the Monolith. The designer then went to work for Specialized before setting up his own motorcycle parts business.

He also designed the Rebound fork that was used with it. Pretty amazingly looking bike.

Also looks like a lot of metal for a tiny bit of rear travel. I suppose it was back in the day though.

ton

rode a charity event on one of these…..very comfy.

thepodge
    Free Member

Girvin Vector & AMP Forks

neninja
    Free Member

Also looks like a lot of metal for a tiny bit of rear travel. I suppose it was back in the day though.

Not really – the standard off the shelf bike was only 25lbs – the one pictured is fair bit lighter still.

2.75″ rear travel
    1.75″ front travel

michaelmcc
    Free Member

Not too bad then.. looks like there wouldn’t be much movement there. Surpisingly light.

frank4short
    Free Member

A simple to solution to a complex problem in the days before bike suspension was really understood

rusty90
    Free Member

rode a charity event on one of these…..very comfy

The Dursley Pedersen is a design classic, although it does tend to attract loonies eccentrics.

Can also be used off road

Or for racing

bristolbiker
    Free Member

Mountain Cycle San Andreas – Pin-up bike of the nineties, yes, but also ahead of it’s time technically.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Interesting bike designs’ is closed to new replies.