• This topic has 90 replies, 28 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by nbt.
Viewing 11 posts - 81 through 91 (of 91 total)
  • Tandem 26er Hardtail conversion to:- Mtb 29er Full Suspension Tandem Build
  • juan
    Free Member

IIRC MSC have a freewheel fitted in the back crank to help with timming problems.

identicalbutlighter
    Free Member

I’ve sorted the crankset issues on the last three tandems I’ve built (including the “Orange” 55) by using three relatively cheap cranksets, reaming/rethreading the pedal threads and using thread inserts to reverse threads/sides, fairly simple and effective so far. You just need a good grade of threadlock and cleanliness to get the sleeves well fixed. I couldn’t be doing with the timing chain on the drive side as I wanted a full range of gears. Stuck with old style cranksets though, this won’t work with integral axles.
    I usually set the timing a tooth out either way depending on whether the stoker is stronger or weaker than the pilot.

nbt

Which way do you set it for which scenario? I’m the captain and the stronger rider, should I set the stoker one tooth back?

jonstanley
    Free Member

So was it your steel(?) “Orange” “Strange” (in orange, natch) tandem I saw a while ago back on here? There any more photos/videos of said beastie built up and being ridden? :mrgreen:

On the subject of all right-side drive for an MTB tandem… I thought with some triple cranksets, it’s possible to get a 4th ring (~36t) beyond the big ring?

identicalbutlighter
    Free Member

I set the stronger rider just ahead of the weaker to pull them over TDC, seems to work, perhaps it’s my imagination.

Yes that’s the tandem, there were some photos lurking from the STW. My son has some GoPro footage but he’s not got round to editing it, mostly it consists of me screaming with fear on the back.

therealhoops
    Free Member

Achtung!

nail
    Free Member

So was it your steel(?) “Orange” “Strange” (in orange, natch) tandem I saw a while ago back on here? There any more photos/videos of said beastie built up and being ridden?

. Do you have any links to the threads?

nail
    Free Member

therealhoops – That looks a very interesting beast – is it a home brew? any more pic’s especially in close-up?

jonstanley
    Free Member

I generally spin fairly smoothly, though have had tandems set up with the stoker leading… so as to not whip the pedals from underneath the stoker.

Can you point us to the photos? I had a good rummage around STW and couldn’t find them anymore. Videos would be even cooler… the Intertubes are much lacking in tandem MTB videos. 🙁

As for that beast of a tandem… looks like a no-longer-made Nicolai Nucleon FR Tandem?

nbt

Couple of videos here courtesy of TJ who is not allowed to post but is following this thread with interest

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8SFWRvsRcs&list=UU5AkMYek0UEVwmzNsiVdlzQ&index=3&feature=plcp[/video]

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYh36DrhvQo&list=UU5AkMYek0UEVwmzNsiVdlzQ&index=4&feature=plcp[/video]

nbt

Bumping this one back up after the excellent Tandem Weekender

On the previous page, there were various suggestions about running the timing chain on the drive side rather than the Non-drive side, and maybe even running it on the granny raing rather than the outside. As noted though this means you don’t get a granny, but does preclude you running a bash ring – the I remembered seeing this

http://www.hopetech.com/page.aspx?itemid=SPG424&tab=technical

Available in 32-33-34-35-36T.

As long as it’s the same size as or bigger than your “middle” then you can run granny, middle and bash and use two regular cranksets. As it looks like I’ll be needing two new bottom brackets and a new drivetrain in the very near future, this is interesting to me. Can anyone see any problems running external bearings BB on an EBB?

Viewing 11 posts - 81 through 91 (of 91 total)

The topic ‘Tandem 26er Hardtail conversion to:- Mtb 29er Full Suspension Tandem Build’ is closed to new replies.