Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Intentionally running a short chain?
  • Onzadog
    Free Member

Does anyone run their chain too short on the assumption that they’ll not get full travel in lowest gear (assuming full travel is maximum chain growth).

philjunior
    Free Member

Based on my experiences of accidentally running too short chains (either after cutting it or after someone else fitting one that can’t get out of big/big), nope.

The consequences of bottoming out on it could be far more spectacular, so if you do decide to do this, please video it until you make the mistake!

greyspoke
    Free Member

Bikes with complicated axle paths (mainly those with suspension of the “two short links” variety” may achieve maximum chain length at less than full travel.

nickc

For what purpose?

chiefgrooveguru

Don’t forget that you need extra slack to change gear, as the chain climbs up over the sprockets.

Alphabet

Is this a weight saving exercise? 😆

molgrips
    Free Member

I have set up my 100mm FS with enough chain to get nearly full travel in the big ring/big sprocket combo. So it is fairly slack. Has no ill effects though, no excessive chain slap or anything.

nixie

Hell no, wrecked mech hanger and the time I tried to get away with it for one ride!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Intentionally running a short chain?’ is closed to new replies.