Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Intense tracer – what do you think?
  • julians
    Free Member

Has anyone ridden the current model intense tracer? If so what did you think?

How does it compare to other similar bikes you’ve ridden.

Interested in your view…cheers

RickDraper
    Free Member

I had one. It was really nice and my favourite bike I have recently owned. It does have a few small niggles but what bikes don’t. Glad I sold it before Intense went direct though!

julians
    Free Member

Thanks,care to elaborate on the niggles?

Cheers

jamj1974

I had an original one – had no real relevance to this post, but I did like it!

IdleJon

Glad I sold it before Intense went direct though!

My Recluse rides really poorly since they went direct. 😆

Rorschach
    Free Member

Which is just as well,as it’s worth 30% less now 😕

IdleJon

Not compared to what I paid. 😉

Gachet
    Free Member

I’ve ridden the new Carbine which uses the same suspension setup, and it pedals really well with minimal bob, yet seems to soak up big hits with ease. You don’t get pedal kick-back over large bumps like you did with the old VPP Tracer so you can keep pedalling. I saw a Tracer when I was there and it looks to be finished well, but I’d want one of the orange ones as the green and yellow isn’t that nice!

If you sign up for updates on the Intense direct websit, they’ should send you a code for an extra 15% off until the end of the month. Cycle Switch also have a few lower end models going cheaply.

P-Jay
    Free Member

I so, so nearly had one. I’ve got the old one. It’s been a great bike, quiet traily for a 160mm whereas the current one is a bit longer and a bit slacker.

I like the way they’ve moved the lower linkage over the B.B., the original one, like the SC version wasn’t well suited to the UK winter, I swapped my open bearings for sealed ones.

I like be seatclamp too, it was never going to used without a dropper so it’s a neat solution.

I’ll probably get a SH one, maybe next year.

RickDraper
    Free Member

Niggles were the cable routing under the bottom bracket, it constantly moves and tightens, the rear brake cable routing been for the USA market makes for a crappy tight loop from the bar (like this on 99% of bikes running brakes the correct way!) and the upper linkage rubs the swing arm when muck gets between it and the linkage. All are minor and had it been a £2500 frame I would not have even considered them. When I bought it it was a £3200 frame at rrp!

julians
    Free Member

Thanks all,keep the opinions coming.

The rear axle looks a pain in the arse if ive understood how it works correctly, does it really need a 6mm and 5mm allen key to undo and tighten?

plecostomus
    Free Member

I’ve got one have the current tracer 275c in XX I’m 6’1” fits fine.
    Pedals really well, I swapped the bearings on lower link to full sealed rather than the open sided ones as we live in the U.K. and it’s wet, but it’s aomehring I’ve done on all bop bikes I’ve had

The axle on the rear wheel only needs a 5mm hex key and it’s really easy to use. Loosen the collet and then wind out the axle, job done.
    Looks neater than a Malle axle or DT Swiss through axle too
    Can’t say I’ve had any issues with the routing under the B.B. if you give your hose and cables the correct length.
    The internal call routing works a treat really well constructed

Yes the upper link does rub the seat stay on the swing arm a little with dirt in there.

It rides better than my geometron I used to have and also my nomad mk3 before that.

I’ve ridden a mk4 nomad the tracer climbs better and descending I couldn’t see any difference between the two.

julians
    Free Member

Interesting comparison with the geometron, thats another contender for my next frame.

Could you go into more detail about why you thought it better than the geometron?

Thanks

deserter
    Free Member

I rode one and a hightower, liked both but the hightower had a threaded bottom bracket, bottle holder and better warranty so chose that

Hadge
    Free Member

If you get one just look after the bearings as if they start sicking the VPP does not work as well. I bought a used one once and the ride was transformed with new bearings and fresh grease.

plecostomus
    Free Member

Geometron was good, just got heavy and awkward after 3 hours and was no where near as much fun as a slightly shorter length bike. The geometron would grip to much as to where other bikes you could get them drifting easy the geometron grips as it’s so long. Geometron on flatter trails was lifeless it had to be wide open all the time to ,are it fun.

I liked the geometron alot I’d have another at some point, in my ideal world somebody make me a carbon bike with the geometry of the geometron but with a head angle of 65 degrees an it not to weigh 33lb

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Intense tracer – what do you think?’ is closed to new replies.