Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 201 total)
  • Intense Tracer or Turner 5 spot frame?
  • hora
    Free Member

Question- I need to get a PM to PM adaptor for a 203mm rotor on the rear but Superstar only offer a front (and I probably can’t use on the rear as the rear frame spacing looks quite wide)

http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=57&products_id=359

Anywhere else I can source one from?

Edit (different brake but same principle)

From Wiggle
    “Post Mount rear Hope M$4
    I have a new Turner 5 spot frame with post mount rear brake fittings.

What adapters do I need for a Hope M4 with “

Answer
    “you need a 183 post fork to post brake adapter for a 183 rotor on the rear of a DW 5.Spot – the rear post mounts are the same sizing as a fork post mount”

– This is true?

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

The front adapter will fit the rear. It’s the same.

Why 203 on the back though?

hora
    Free Member

Dunno, POWA!

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

well anyway… front PM adapters fit the rear

binners

Oi monkey boy! You going to have it built for Sunday? We’re doing a run from here if you fancy it? I do fancy witnessing the first time you bin it 😀

AlexSimon

Rusty – what do those HAS prices work out at in GBP? I couldn’t work out what currency it started out as 310 and 400 somethings 🙂

RustyMac

hora can the 5 spot take a 203mm rear disk? It is a trail bike after all!

I would have thought you would have plenty of power with a 183 disk on the rear.

I am of a chunky build and use a 160 rear disk!

hora
    Free Member

Rusty, I was having issues with brakes and with a France trip planned I decided to get bigger rotors (up from 160mm/15.5 stone rider) so I clicked on the bigger size. I don’t get anywhere near locking up the rear etc so it can’t be too bad.

yoshimi

I was told the 5spot is not suitable for 8″ disks and would invalidate the warranty (by Merlin)

I’m heavy and 180 works fine

Interested in those headsets, I think they work out around £70 – anyone got one?

binners

RM – are you unfamiliar with Hora’s completely irrational urge to BUY… MORE… STUFF?!

He’ll have sold this frame within 2 weeks anyway, siting some nonsensical reason, and he’ll be posting stupid questions about his next ‘project’. Unless he goes back to his default position and buys YET ANOTHER blur 4X

RustyMac

Hey if it work for you it works for you. I’m a similar weight and it just seemd a mahoooosive disk to put on the back.

Enjoy the new bike, I’ve got an Iron Hose Mk3 and really like the DW Link suspension and reckon when it dies a 5 Spot will be it’s replacement.

What colour did you get?

[Edit] Warantee was my thought as well [/Edit]

RustyMac

binners

I’ve noticed he seems to go through bikes faster than my girlfriend goes through shoes 😉

Vortexracing

yoshimi, i’m thinking of one for my 5 spot.

These guys also do them

http://www.workscomponents.co.uk/new—10-degree-ec34—traditional-1-18-fitment-6-p.asp

they seem good and only just down the road.

hora
    Free Member

RM – are you unfamiliar with Hora’s completely irrational urge to BUY… MORE… STUFF?!

He’ll have sold this frame within 2 weeks anyway, siting some nonsensical reason, and he’ll be posting stupid questions about his next ‘project’. Unless he goes back to his default position and buys YET ANOTHER blur 4X

Not if I’ve paid this much. Only on secondhand frames where I can get exactly back what I’ve paid for it. I’m a serial swapper but I don’t burn money.

Thanks for the common sense- buying a 180 rotor at the sametime as the adaptor.

Kryton57

Back OT – its interesting to go to the Turner website and look at the MBR PDF’s review. Although the Turner wins ultimately, lots of comment is made about its weight, ride characteristics and olden’ day shaped tubes, with comments about the other bikes.

It wins by a small margin according to “feel” but the other bikes advatages are pointed out – relevant to this then – the Tracer being a plausable lighter frame, better climber and more fun/feedback on the trail. Would be worth the OP reading it IMO.

FWIW I rode a DW bike (a pivot) and although it wasnt set up for me the Sus felt a bit “dull” in comparision to my Tracer (w/coil).

yoshimi

Good call Vortex:) Now to decide how much angle – I think you have the same fork as me, 150mmRevs – I’m leaning more toward the 1.5deg – but then again I’m currently watching out for some Fox 36, decisions, decisions….

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

A 180 or 183 at the back will be more than enough. Unless you’re a real fatty.

Vortexracing

i’m going for the 1deg one. and yip running a 150mm Rev.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Not if I’ve paid this much. Only on secondhand frames where I can get exactly back what I’ve paid for it. I’m a serial swapper but I don’t burn money.

If it’s worth £999 now brand new and with warranty, what makes you think it will be worth that when it’s a few months old, used and with no warranty?

hora
    Free Member

Kryton57 – Horse/stable bolted.

I’ve pointed out the above. I’ve got a frame with warranty/back up versus a used frame with a reputation for misalignment etc etc plus the cost of new pivots sooner rather than later and a shock service circa £100 extra.

Why would I go for a frame thats only better in certain areas?

I’d need to be a bloody good rider to pick out the small differences/benefits between either frame 🙂

If it’s worth £999 now brand new and with warranty, what makes you think it will be worth that when it’s a few months old, used and with no warranty?

Why would I sell a frame thats cost me a grand in a few months? It’ll go in a year for £700.

Like I said. I used two Blur4x’s for 2.5yrs for zero cost. The last fullprice FS frame I bought was a 2004 Heckler.

RustyMac

Don’t think he does think he’ll get the price he paid on this one back, that is why he HAS to keep this one. Shame it’s a large i’d need a medium 😉

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

AlexSimon – Member
    Rusty – what do those HAS prices work out at in GBP? I couldn’t work out what currency it started out as 310 and 400 somethings

Hi Alex…I couldn’t recall exactly, so I’ve just checked my Paypal records and it cost me £121 inc. P&P. Can’t remember if I had duty fees on top of that but i don’t think so.

lowey

Sorry, bit of a numpty here, Vortex and Yoshi… what would be the tangible effect of slackening the HA ?

hora
    Free Member

Reducers the BB height a tad, better on descents?

wrecker
    Free Member

5 spot vs tracer?
    You’ve made the right choice Hora.

geetee1972
    Free Member

One of the guys I ride with has a 2010 5-Spot and recently fitted one of those Israeli made angle reducer cups that slackened things off by 1.5 degrees.

He was all ready to bin the 5-Spot before he did that as he didn’t feel comfortable on it but since he fitted the headset he’s far happier with how it handles. He can ride really well so I trust his judgement.

Vortexracing

what would be the tangible effect of slackening the HA ?

Slightly longer wheelbase and more stable on the descents.

quite a bit on it here, it seems to have a positive effect on the DH but no detriment on the climbs.

http://forums.mtbr.com/turner/5-spot-~67-deg-hta-maybe-bit-less-672117.html

wors

Sorry, bit of a numpty here, Vortex and Yoshi… what would be the tangible effect of slackening the HA ?

You could ride like a god and not a nob 😛

geetee1972
    Free Member

In actual riding terms, the effect of reducing the HA is that you are able to weight the front end with a little more confidence; on steep tight turns, the front is going to feel less like it wants to tuck under giving you the ability to get more weight over it, which gives you more bite and thus grip.
    At speed, the bike will feel less twitchy although to be honest, you’d have to be going pretty bloody fast to really notice it.

One thing you may find though is that at speed, the bike requires less concentration to keep it going just where you want it. At speed, you tend to steer more by instinct rather than overt input on the bars, which means you are concentrating a lot more on keeping the bike doing what you want it to do.

I know that sounds a bit ‘fluffy’ but it’s the net effect of steering by weight distribution, body position and the alignment of your head, shoulders, elbows and hips. These are far less tangible that actually turning the bars thus I describe it as ‘intuitive’. You’re less aware of the actual inputs so it means you have to concentrate more on feeling what the bike is doing.

It can be mentally quite tiring; on one very long and very fast descent in alps recently I found myself getting mentally tired keeping up with the guide long before I got physically tired.

A slacker bike makes it easier to keep things in line at high speed as the bike is less sensitive to steering inputs hence it can be less tiring.

hora
    Free Member

Saying that I utterly hated the 456 summer season (Pikes) yet loved the 456 (Pikes).

lowey

Thanks GT… Now I;m kind of interested in this as my 5 Spot feels like its going to tip me over the bars on the very steep stuff, but general fast descending it feels fine.

Does it work by effectively lengthening the head tube ? If that is the case, unless you have spacers above or below your stem your going to need a new fork as well aren’t you ? or am I missing something blindingly obvious ?

Vortexracing

It just ’tilts’ the angle that the fork steerer sits in the headtube Dave

The other good thing is that it alters the HA without raising the BB height.

yoshimi

just because everyone else is doing it init!

Thanks GT… Now I;m kind of interested in this as my 5 Spot feels like its going to tip me over the bars on the very steep stuff, but general fast descending it feels fine.

this for me is the real reason – on technical steep stuff it does feel a bit steep, I prefer to feel a bit further back

wors

Have a do on my pig next time we’re out, 67.5 HA.

slowrider
    Free Member

Hora, if theres anyone who should spend their money on a skills course instead of a bike then its you 😉

hora
    Free Member

My reply to that would be

You can lead a horse to water but you can’t make it drink..

slowrider
    Free Member

and my reply to that would be

fine by me, you make the rest of us look good

Stopadoodledoo
    Free Member

hora – Member

Why would I sell a frame thats cost me a grand in a few months? It’ll go in a year for £700.

Why indeed

martinh
    Free Member

+1 Kryton57

Rode a DW Turner for a year before switching to Tracer. The Intense is a better climber and has better trail feedback. But some people prefer the plush-/dull-ness of the DW-Link

wrecker
    Free Member

There is absolutely no way the tracer is a better climber than the spot. Pointing down it may be slightly better but up? No chance.
    I’ve owned a 5.5 and had a good amount of time on a Tracer, so this isn’t guesswork wither.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 201 total)

The topic ‘Intense Tracer or Turner 5 spot frame?’ is closed to new replies.