Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Insuring new bike build – how do you value it?
  • chunkymonkey
    Free Member

Apologies if this has been done before, but just finished a new bike build this morning and need to bang it on the house insurance. How do you put a value on it? It’s a brand new frame built up with either new or almost new parts sourced from the classifieds on here. Have taken a load of photo’s and listed all the parts on it, do I go with the full retail price of everything or a rough estimate for the full build?

Had a bike stolen last year and had a nightmare with the insurance company so just want to make sure everything is in order this time round.

Cheers.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

RRP of everything, it’s the amount it would cost to replace it today.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I agree. It’s what I did. RRP on everything. It might mean I’m slightly over insured but that’s got to be better than the alternative.

Alex

Whatever I told the missus and treble it 🙂

Otherwise as above, that’s what I do as I’m not going to replace with 2nd hand parts.

qfruits
    Free Member

Receipts and photos when I made a claim. They send it off to wheelies to verify and quote the rrp.
    I was offered 4200 in credit there or of £3000 ( max covered for bike)

GHill

Most decent bike shops will do you a letter-headed valuation for a small fee.

wonderchump
    Free Member

I bought a Soul frame and built it up from bits I had, new parts and some used bits from PB and here. I totalled the RRP on everything I have and listed it all out in a table. The LBS where I got my frame then cut and paste this to their headed paper and added the cost of labour for the build as it would have been if they’d done it. This is after all the replacement value for the bike. £10 for the trouble and no quibbling from the insurance if it comes to it.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Insuring new bike build – how do you value it?’ is closed to new replies.