Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Insurance WTF?
  • monkeychild
    Free Member

Just got my M&S “contents” renewal….. £472!!!! I’ve been with them for years too.

Co-op buildings and contents quote £224???

Bikes seem to be only up to £1000 per item though (may be ok for me though)

I’ve requested one from pedal quote too.

Talk about taking the pee!!

Suggsey
    Free Member

Try Aviva!

Mintyjim

And John Lewis

spooky_b329

Mine was £555 and a new policy was over £600.

Only had two bikes on the policy and they are not exactly megabucks.

Went with The AA in the end, fairly good cover for £280ish. They have screwed me over though as it comes with free AA breakdown, but as I have three months to run on my existing breakdown I am excluded despite being a new home insurance customer 🙁 I complained multiple times before taking out the policy but they were still the best option for me.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Talk about taking the pee!!

Have you seen the number of bike theft threads?

Co-op buildings and contents quote £224???

Bikes seem to be only up to £1000 per item though (may be ok for me though)
    So not the same policy?

Make sure you read the policy wording for things like away from home, storage and locks etc. along with new for old.

ultracoach
    Free Member

Haven’t had contents insurance for decades. Its all a rip off…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

If your willing to accept the risk the don’t buy it, I’ve been happy with the price I pay for the peace of mind it gives me, knowing my bikes are covered when I fly with them is good.

neilthewheel

+1 for Aviva, cover up to £1800 per bike and they were falling over themselves to pay out when we were burgled

legend
    Free Member

Is £1,800 Avivas max even when bikes are specificied?

njee20
    Free Member

Haven’t had contents insurance for decades. Its all a rip off…

Like any insurance you buy it basically hoping never to use it. If you do get burgled/house burns down etc it’s fair to assume you could recoup a lifetime of premiums from a single claim. Hardly a rip off then.

But yes, many of us will pay tens of thousands of pounds we could put into a savings account to cover those eventualities. But few are that dedicated (are you?) and it buys peace of mind.

anniison
    Free Member

Our M&S buildings and contents worked out waaaaay cheaper than insuring the bikes separately, for the cover we needed we were looking at +£700 for the two bikes, and that doesnt cover the other 3 we have!!

Also covers the other stupidly expensive toys (cameras etc) we have knocking around. Worth it for peace of mind, couldnt afford to replace a lot of it in one go!!!

footflaps

We were with M&S for one year, then they doubled the premium for year 2 and we left.

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

[quoteJust got my M&S “contents” renewal….. £472!!!! I’ve been with them for years too.

Co-op buildings and contents quote £224???[/

What was the price of your policy before the renewal? You could speak to the retention team to waive the increase for customer loyalty.

globalti
    Free Member

Insurance premiums are coming down as insurers get better at talking to each other and rooting out fraud. Typically they will hook you with a cheap premium for the first year then hope you won’t notice them jacking the premium up. The solution is simple: phone them up and tell them the premium should be coming down not going up and if they don’t keep the same as last year you will simply go elsewhere. Every year we have to make the call and every damned year they cave in.

dmorts

We’re with M&S and I think our renewal was around £550 for building, contents, accidental damage (contents and building), one bike over £2k, £5k of out of home contents cover…. I will review next year. However, that was good value to me, based on the other more important things I have to organise currently and the fact that when you ring up they don’t have morons at the end of the line….. Cost doesn’t necessarily equal value.

Got stuck with Admiral Car Insurance for 2 years. First went there because they were cheapest, then forgot to cancel auto-renewal and also moved house so had to stick with them as we’d missed the renewal letter. I hated their customer service, depending on the time of day you either got someone in Wales, India or Canada. The Indian and Canadian call centres are essentially a call answering service. They couldn’t actually do anything they just noted it and passed it on to be done by the Welsh team the next day.

konabunny
    Free Member

A Welsh Indian Canadian insurance company? Sounds like a dodgy two ronnies sketch

rascal
    Free Member

Recently had renewal quote from Nationwide – £428.
    Got complacent and never got rival quotes during the 5 years we’d had it….crept up and up.
    Did some research this time and got better cover with Directline for £234.
    Def pays to shop around.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Insurance WTF?’ is closed to new replies.